Author Topic: daylight system missing sunlight-compass attachment  (Read 1090 times)

2023-01-23, 16:01:30

F13Design

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • F13 Design Studio, LLC
Has the attached happened to anyone. Not sure if it is a 3ds max issue or corona issue. It doesn't show up for any daylight system. Without the attachment I can not use the photographic settings. It doesn't work, the only thing that I can do to adjust the daylight/corona sky is using the simple exposure control settings. I'm using 3ds max 2023 and Corona 9 (Hotfix 1)
Michael Secrist
F13 Design Studio, LLC
www.f13design.com

2023-01-23, 18:09:45
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Is this happening with any new daylight system that you create?
Or maybe happened in some older scene opened in newer version?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-01-23, 20:01:02
Reply #2

F13Design

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • F13 Design Studio, LLC
This happens with a brand new scene. I have had to take an old scene with a daylight system that worked to override this issue, but this seems a little backwards to do.
Michael Secrist
F13 Design Studio, LLC
www.f13design.com

2023-01-23, 21:29:24
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Try to delete 3dsmax.ini file and see if that fix the issue. If that doesn't work, delete whole ENU folder. Don't forget to make backup in both cases.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-01-23, 21:44:49
Reply #4

F13Design

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • F13 Design Studio, LLC
Ok, I will try and give that a try. Appreciate the response.
Michael Secrist
F13 Design Studio, LLC
www.f13design.com

2023-01-25, 11:06:53
Reply #5

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Just a note from the info concluded from your message:
To use Photographic settings - to control exposure using Photographic settings - you need to have Photographic exposure operator in the Tone mapping stack.
Maybe this is the main thing you are missing.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2023-01-26, 02:57:48
Reply #6

F13Design

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • F13 Design Studio, LLC
Is this happening with any new daylight system that you create?
Or maybe happened in some older scene opened in newer version?

Maru,
So I have been talking to Autodesk to see if it is an issue on there end and have not found a solution. per their suggestions, I have uninstalled max2023, Corona Renderer9 hot fix1 and reinstalled them I also uninstalled Vray and I'm still finding that my sun is not attached to the compass. It all still moves around when I change locations on a map or time of day.

I have noticed that when I drop in a new daylight system in a new scene as well as a corona sky everything is washed out no matter what I set in the basic photographic settings. It looks to me that it might also be the corona sky because everything is blown out. I have used simple exposure and that seems to solve some issues but not interested in using that as an option. Also If I use corona in 2023 I will open an old file with a daylight system that works and import my new project into it as a workaround. Attached is the scene in Max2023 and Corona Renderer 9 hotfix 1. I will also submit it the help section of the forums

Thank you in advance
Michael Secrist
F13 Design Studio, LLC
www.f13design.com

2023-01-26, 09:25:01
Reply #7

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Hi,

the missing line seems to be a Max bug. But the daylight system works and the sun is actually connected. When I create a new daylight system (Max 2023.2.2), the line is missing here as well. I never done it in Max 2023 until now because I have one in the startup scene, created with an older Max version - so I never noticed.

As for "washed out", you are using the tone mapping stack wrongly. Just move photographic exposure on top of the stack and use reasonable photographic settings, matching a daylight situation.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2023-01-26, 09:51:06
Reply #8

Philip kelly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Sketchrender
Ya Max 2023, has been the same all year for me. Line missing, Strange one.
Dell Precision T7910

2023-01-26, 10:48:08
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The washed out render looks very wrong. Are you using some kind of clamping effect? Try going to Render Setup > Scene and clicking "Reset settings" - this will reset all your render settings to defaults.
Also please check this message from Aram about the simple vs photographic exposure: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=39119.msg208741#msg208741
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-01-26, 14:21:42
Reply #10

F13Design

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • F13 Design Studio, LLC
Hi,

the missing line seems to be a Max bug. But the daylight system works and the sun is actually connected. When I create a new daylight system (Max 2023.2.2), the line is missing here as well. I never done it in Max 2023 until now because I have one in the startup scene, created with an older Max version - so I never noticed.

As for "washed out", you are using the tone mapping stack wrongly. Just move photographic exposure on top of the stack and use reasonable photographic settings, matching a daylight situation.

Good Luck

Frood,

I think you did it! I didn't realize you can stack all tone mapping options the way you want them organized. As soon as I placed the Photographic exposure up to the top everything looked normal and back to the way it is supposed to look and work. THANK YOU! I must have missed the features that explained the tone mapping and how you can manipulate the stack to get the results you are looking for.
Michael Secrist
F13 Design Studio, LLC
www.f13design.com

2023-01-26, 14:23:39
Reply #11

F13Design

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • F13 Design Studio, LLC
Ya Max 2023, has been the same all year for me. Line missing, Strange one.

Frood solved my issues. See his answer. So it looks like the missing line attaching the sun and compass is a Max bug. Everything still works it just doesn't have the visible line.
Michael Secrist
F13 Design Studio, LLC
www.f13design.com

2023-01-26, 14:26:36
Reply #12

F13Design

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • F13 Design Studio, LLC
The washed out render looks very wrong. Are you using some kind of clamping effect? Try going to Render Setup > Scene and clicking "Reset settings" - this will reset all your render settings to defaults.
Also please check this message from Aram about the simple vs photographic exposure: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=39119.msg208741#msg208741

I will check out this link you sent, but Frood solved my issue. My photographic exposure was not stacked properly and did not know that you can stack the tone mapping options. Thank you for the assist.
Michael Secrist
F13 Design Studio, LLC
www.f13design.com