Author Topic: Caustics corona 8, black squares  (Read 1960 times)

2022-09-29, 12:34:25

Apostolis Christou

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Bronxes Studio
Hello guys, I've come across this problem for the first time. I did search a bit and I found out that everyone mentions about Caustics Adaptivity in Performance settings, but on Corona 8 there is not such an option in Performance tab. Is it moved elsewhere? Thanks

2022-09-29, 13:08:33
Reply #1

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Hi,

You have to enable devel/debug mode first to get those options. See

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=33427.msg185821#msg185821

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2022-09-29, 14:39:31
Reply #2

Apostolis Christou

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Bronxes Studio

2022-09-29, 16:56:36
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Check out this part
"My caustics progressively disappear, there are black spots visible on my rendered caustics!"

of this article:
https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4954589213457

I understand that our Help Center is not organized well (we are working on this!), but please note that the search option works quite well. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-09-30, 13:08:42
Reply #4

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
IMO caustics adaptivity should be off by default because it causes issues in so many scenes, until it's improved/fixed. It's something we have had to add to a "dummy list" to remember to do in every scene involving caustics, along with amending the initial lookup radius and other bits.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2022-09-30, 13:18:19
Reply #5

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
IMO caustics adaptivity should be off by default because it causes issues in so many scenes, until it's improved/fixed. It's something we have had to add to a "dummy list" to remember to do in every scene involving caustics, along with amending the initial lookup radius and other bits.
What exactly do you change and do you have numbers that always work better than the defaults? I've changed the max photons/iteration on some files and sometimes it helped, sometimes it made it all worse. Changing initial lookup radius always resulted in a too different look in general and my conclusion is that caustics are incredibly finicky and way to unpredictable to use in production, along with quite a performance penalty I'm not willing to pay.

2022-11-22, 12:38:44
Reply #6

Apostolis Christou

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Bronxes Studio
Forgot to say that I tried everything we mentioned here, but the only result I got was that there were not so many black spots as before. Ended up fixing that in PS

2022-11-23, 13:45:17
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Forgot to say that I tried everything we mentioned here, but the only result I got was that there were not so many black spots as before. Ended up fixing that in PS

Hi, disabling caustics adaptivity in the devel/experimental rollout should fix any "dark/black squares" visible in caustics.
If it didn't, or if you are having some further problems, please contact us here and attach your scene if possible: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Even if we will not be able to help you (sure it does sometimes happen!), we will have a scene where we can reproduce the issue and this is extremely valuable for Corona development. We can pass it to our devs and they can do their magic.
The scene could be either your original scene (if you can share it), or a simplified version of it (if you can create it), or our own, but the most important part is to reproduce the issue.

Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-12-01, 16:55:31
Reply #8

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

We've done some work on causics in the v10 daily builds.. You can grab it here and try it out :)

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=38385.msg206595#msg206595

Thanks!
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!