Author Topic: Corona Render 8 is Slower  (Read 5275 times)

2022-04-24, 15:13:04

maxpyane_2k5

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Everyone,

I want people's opinion on the rendering speed of version 8 compared to version 7. I feel like version 8 takes much more time on scene parsing, even on a simple scene. Is anyone else seeing the analogue's behaviour?

2022-04-24, 17:57:30
Reply #1

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, same here. Horrible parsing times for me compared to corona 7.

2022-04-25, 07:31:11
Reply #2

maxpyane_2k5

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Indeed it's pretty dreadful. I see a massive disparity in rendering speed. Version 7 is handling scenes with much better efficacy.

2022-04-25, 14:13:11
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Can you send us some example scenes, please? We've not seen this in our tests, and indeed parsing if often faster, so we'd benefit from having a look at the scenes where you are having problems. Also can you share which version of Max, which OS, etc. too when sending in a scene so we get the full picture. Thanks!

BTW if the scene can't be sent, it would still be useful to see a video capture of the 8 vs 7 - at least then we'd see what kind of scene you were working with and see how different it is for you. You could also send in the actual numbers from the Stats in the VFB to show us how much difference you are seeing. For such tests, it is best to set a specific number of passes and not use Noise Limit. Cheers!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-04-25, 18:54:05
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
As Tom mentioned, please send us any scenes where this can be reproduced at https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
(even very large files can be attached directly in the ticket submission form)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-06-17, 19:28:58
Reply #5

VASLAVO

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, i will upload a scene too, parsing times have increase twice the time per frame and using twice the ram calculating displacement, i was able to render a video on version 7 with 128gigs of ram, now the same exact file (client ask for a roof color change) and it take twice the time and ram, corona 7 time was 6 minutes per frame, corona 8 11:38 sec per frame, il let you know when I'm able to upload, still on deadline (was looking for some solutions but cant find one), ah almost forgot, this scene (ande several from the same project) no crash almost every 10 frames per machine, its very annoying, didn't happened on v7, i sent some log files by mail from this crashes, I thought it was related with max 2023 but it doesn't, also huge issues with 2023 and backburner, thanks for the effort guys.

2022-06-17, 23:37:51
Reply #6

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There seems to be a major bug with Corona 8 and Forest Pro that makes Transforming Vertices & Parsing take forever, say 1 minute+ vs 5 seconds. This is using Forest Pro with Multi/Sub-Object node. Check to see if your scene contains that. If you remove the Multi/Sub-Object node you'll see how much faster Transforming Vertices & Parsing takes. Not sure if this is your issue but I hope there will be a fix for this because we had to convert to another renderer to render out our animation due to this big issue.

2022-06-18, 17:15:23
Reply #7

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I had the same impression. But after coming to this thread I tested both versions one next to the other with the same scene and it turned out that Corona 8 overall render time was shorter than Corona 7.
I even timed the parsing times for both and were identical.

2022-06-18, 17:56:58
Reply #8

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I had the same impression. But after coming to this thread I tested both versions one next to the other with the same scene and it turned out that Corona 8 overall render time was shorter than Corona 7.
I even timed the parsing times for both and were identical.
I think it depends on what you have in your scene when you're rendering, like my above post.

2022-06-20, 14:39:02
Reply #9

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
There seems to be a major bug with Corona 8 and Forest Pro that makes Transforming Vertices & Parsing take forever, say 1 minute+ vs 5 seconds. This is using Forest Pro with Multi/Sub-Object node. Check to see if your scene contains that. If you remove the Multi/Sub-Object node you'll see how much faster Transforming Vertices & Parsing takes. Not sure if this is your issue but I hope there will be a fix for this because we had to convert to another renderer to render out our animation due to this big issue.

I had some insane parsing times 2 years ago due to the Forest Pro plugin and I wrote to them directly. The situation now is better but not perfect yet.
I hope too to see some improvements. Corona scatter for example is way faster so I don't understand why Forest keeps being so problematic.

2022-06-20, 18:18:11
Reply #10

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I had some insane parsing times 2 years ago due to the Forest Pro plugin and I wrote to them directly. The situation now is better but not perfect yet.
I hope too to see some improvements. Corona scatter for example is way faster so I don't understand why Forest keeps being so problematic.
I don't think this is a Forest Pro issue, I don't have the same loading and parsing times in other renderers.

2022-09-10, 20:46:56
Reply #11

DustinMoore

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I can confirm this. I just got a %150 speed gain by switching back over to Forest Pack.

2022-11-07, 10:45:20
Reply #12

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi all, I looked for some support tickets related to this forum thread (Corona 7 faster than 8/9) and could only find the following:

#35710 - both our and the user's tests confirmed that there is virtually no render time difference

#46976 - in our tests we measured nearly identical render times

#39647 - Forest Pack + Corona issue - the fixes are planned for Corona 10 - https://trello.com/b/EfPE4kPx/corona-tentative-road-map-3ds-max

If anyone is experiencing any significant slowdowns when rendering with Corona 8 or 9 compared to 7, please contact us at https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-11-07, 12:21:31
Reply #13

VASLAVO

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Good morning Maru, i will prepare an upload, is the exact same scene ive been working for a year (clients constant changes) so its excelent to show you some tings, at first i cant but impossible to render this scene with new version and displacement on, this didnt happend on version 7, now it get stuck calculating displacement with no response, left the scene woring for more than a day, also i cant edit any material when interactive is on, it doesnt respond, by the way this is a very heavy scene, im on a deadline today but i will make my best to send this tomorrow, thanks for the support.

VK

Hi all, I looked for some support tickets related to this forum thread (Corona 7 faster than 8/9) and could only find the following:

#35710 - both our and the user's tests confirmed that there is virtually no render time difference

#46976 - in our tests we measured nearly identical render times

#39647 - Forest Pack + Corona issue - the fixes are planned for Corona 10 - https://trello.com/b/EfPE4kPx/corona-tentative-road-map-3ds-max

If anyone is experiencing any significant slowdowns when rendering with Corona 8 or 9 compared to 7, please contact us at https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new