Author Topic: Corona Renderer 8 for 3ds Max - Daily Builds Discussion  (Read 149524 times)

2021-10-13, 16:03:16
Reply #165

henk95

• Users
    • View Profile
Here's the proof that sRGB switch is working as intended. Just remember that you need to look at RGB values, not at HSV, because for some strange reason Corona shows the former with respect to sRGB switch, but the latter are always displayed in linear.

Oh, I think I got it. HSV is not always converted to RGB correctly. But RGB and sRGB in the color picker and corona color picker are the same colors. Thank you very much!

2021-10-13, 16:19:42
Reply #166

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
No problem!
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-10-14, 10:23:32
Reply #167

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hello Rowan.
When installing daily-2021-10-12 I stop opening all the CXR, that I have stored from previous versions of Corona, to the latest.
Installing daily-2021-09-30 everything works well.

Upload 1634116118_living-room02-004.cxr.
Hi,

Thanks, I reproduced this with your file. I have reported it to the dev team for further investigation.

Rowan

(Report ID=CRMAX-1054)
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2021-10-14, 10:36:26
Reply #168

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi guys, latest build crshes almost 90% of the time and keeps restarting, heavy and small scenes, cpu AMD 3990, 128 gigs ram, ill try to upload the scene.
Hi Rowan, sorry for the late response, the scene tis the same i've uploaded before, had to go back to 7 to render it because it freezes continuously and it crashes ma with render, thins that didn't happened with 7, no extra memory consumption, actually it uses less than 80 gb of ram with displacement active, when i try to use latest build it crashes on interactive or it crashes when render, more than 200 gb of memory and no displacement active so its a huge difference of behavior.

if you need me to upload it again just let me know.
thanks.

Hi,

You mentioned that this is happening also on some small scenes. Would you be able to send one of these through along with some reproduction steps and/or a video?

I have been testing your scene on the last daily build (2021-10-12) and it doesn't seem to crash for me.

Thanks,

Rowan

Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2021-10-14, 11:50:37
Reply #169

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
hi
it seems to me that this function is completely useless / erroneous
the idea was that we could select one or several objects in the scene that will generate caustics - this will allow us to save CPU resources, not to count caustics from everything that has reflection-refraction, and now in the PBR era, all materials have reflection, count caustic from only one or more objects that really need caustic, such as water in a pool, glass in a house, vase on a table
I do not understand where you can apply the function - disable receiving caustics. This does not save CPU resources and does not allow the caustics to be calculated faster.
We need a function to disable / enable caustics for unnecessary / needed objects / materials
thanks

PS. thanks for CoronaDecal - the first tests look great!

2021-10-14, 11:58:37
Reply #170

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
hi
the idea was that we could select one or several objects in the scene that will generate caustics - this will allow us to save CPU resources, not to count caustics from everything that has reflection-refraction, and now in the PBR era, all materials have reflection, count caustic from only one or more objects that really need caustic, such as water in a pool, glass in a house, vase on a table
I do not understand where you can apply the function - disable receiving caustics. This does not save CPU resources and does not allow the caustics to be calculated faster.
We need a function to disable / enable caustics for unnecessary / needed objects / materials
thanks

Right now it looks more like an artistic tool rather than CPU helper. It allows you to control that you only want caustics to appear on certain objects e.g. a pool surround, ceiling, table etc. But I have to agree that it feels a backwards solution. In practice we're going to need to always exclude the entire scene models, and then selectively allow those few objects to remain. But as you build/change/increase the scene complexity as you work you're going to definitely forget to keep adding all the undesirable objects to the exclude list. It should just be reversed to an Include list.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2021-10-14, 14:57:30
Reply #171

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
Right now it looks more like an artistic tool rather than CPU helper. It allows you to control that you only want caustics to appear on certain objects e.g. a pool surround, ceiling, table etc. But I have to agree that it feels a backwards solution. In practice we're going to need to always exclude the entire scene models, and then selectively allow those few objects to remain. But as you build/change/increase the scene complexity as you work you're going to definitely forget to keep adding all the undesirable objects to the exclude list. It should just be reversed to an Include list.

now I cannot use caustics in my exterior scenes, even my AMD 3970X cannot cope with it
if I turn on caustics, the rendering speed drops several times, there is almost no caustics itself, or these are different spots, it looks like there are not enough photons in the scene for caustics, there are too many objects with reflections and they do not have enough rays to form caustics
I do not want to render caustics on all objects in the scene, I want to be able to select the object that I need and let my CPU calculate caustics only from this object
this will remove unnecessary load from the CPU, increase the speed and quality of caustics
Now I can hide the display of caustics from some objects, but why do I need it - if my PC cannot calculate it
to hide the caustics from the object - first you need to calculate the caustics)))
where is the logic?
now I can only get caustics on tests with teapots or hide everything from the scene and leave only the elements that will generate caustics and those on which caustics will be displayed - that is, to show the caustics in the picture, I need to make 2 final renders and collect it in layers in photoshop
now caustics are useless for me, too much extra time and actions )

2021-10-14, 14:59:31
Reply #172

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
there is another problem - many (almost all) HDRIs do not have a sufficient brightness range, this makes the lighting not very good and in order to improve it, you need to use CoronaColorCorrect, increase the brightness and decrease the gamma - this makes the light better, but also does the HDRI not pretty for the background.
To fix it now - you have to have 2 variants of the same HDRI
The first is the HDRI setting for scene lighting
and the second one is HDRI configured to use slots with background replacement

I propose to make a new environment shader based on CoronaColorCorrect, which will have the same functions as CoronaColorCorrect, but there will be 2 versions inside!
The first set of settings for example will only work for lighting, reflection and refraction.
the second set of settings will work in the background,

we will put this shader in the environment slot and it will work separately for lighting / reflection / refraction / - the first settings and separately for the background - the second settings.
it will be very cool - we will be able to adjust the lighting without breaking the background, when for good light it is necessary to strongly distort the gamma or increase the brightness, while the HDRI, due to the gamma and brightness settings, looks terrible in the background

There is also a nice Volume effect function in CoronaSky, which only works with the corona sun so far, but most of the CG Artist uses HDRI for lighting, which makes the Volume effect function unavailable for them.
I suggest adding a Volume effect to the new environment shader so that we can use this cool effect in conjunction with HDRI lighting.

2021-10-14, 15:03:04
Reply #173

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Not sure what you're doing in your scenes but we're not having anywhere near the trouble you seem to be with caustics: https://www.recentspaces.com/latham-pools-collection

I'm not going to pretend that we've had no issues with caustics and the workflow because we have, and of course bugs, there are plenty of them, but you can work around them if you're careful, and the results can be spot-on. As you can see above we've happily rendered tonnes of stuff including 4k Cinemagraphs and all sorts.

I'm not disagreeing with you that the workflow with exclude list isn't backwards, because I agree that it is. But... the new system still seems a great step forward by the devs. I think if you can barely achieve caustics on teapots right now then you have bigger challenges to solve first perhaps.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2021-10-14, 15:10:00
Reply #174

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
there is another problem [..]

There are enviroment overrides for direct, reflect and refract, there is also ray switch material. All the tools are already there to use different maps for lighting, reflections and background. Why would anyone want such frankenstein color correct map that you're proposing? That makes no sense to me.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-10-14, 16:16:08
Reply #175

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
hi
thanks

Hi,
do you know that you can switch it to include list in the exclude dialog, like all similar lists?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2021-10-14, 17:23:03
Reply #176

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
Hi,
do you know that you can switch it to include list in the exclude dialog, like all similar lists?
Hi Ondra
is there a way to select an object on which the caustics will be calculated?
for example, here we have 4 mirror objects - can we make the caustics generated from only one?
the function that is now, it works on the adoption of caustics, if I understand correctly, and not on the choice of the object that will generate
I am adding a test scene for 3dmax 2019
Thanks

2021-10-14, 17:42:00
Reply #177

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
There are enviroment overrides for direct, reflect and refract, there is also ray switch material. All the tools are already there to use different maps for lighting, reflections and background. Why would anyone want such frankenstein color correct map that you're proposing? That makes no sense to me

I know that there are slots for replacing the environment / reflection / refraction - but this is not very convenient
you need to have 2 slots in the editor material, where you will have 2 variants of one and the same HDRI which will have different settings via CoronaColorCorrect
1 CoronaColorCorrect will be adjusted for light
2 CoronaColorCorrect will be set to replace the background
it is not very convenient to have 2 separate CoronaColorCorrect and it wastes more time
it is faster and more convenient to have both settings for both the light and the background in one shader, haven't you thought about that?
It is faster to work, takes up fewer slots in the material editor and it is more convenient to control

and how do you set up the volum effect for the HDRI which currently only works with the Corona sun?

I can tweak the effects through volumetric BUT we always strive for convenience and speed, adjusting the volum effect in Corona sun is easy and fast, and I would like to have this option for HDRI, because it is fast

2021-10-14, 17:46:12
Reply #178

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
Not sure what you're doing in your scenes but we're not having anywhere near the trouble you seem to be with caustics: https://www.recentspaces.com/latham-pools-collection

I'm not going to pretend that we've had no issues with caustics and the workflow because we have, and of course bugs, there are plenty of them, but you can work around them if you're careful, and the results can be spot-on. As you can see above we've happily rendered tonnes of stuff including 4k Cinemagraphs and all sorts.

I'm not disagreeing with you that the workflow with exclude list isn't backwards, because I agree that it is. But... the new system still seems a great step forward by the devs. I think if you can barely achieve caustics on teapots right now then you have bigger challenges to solve first perhaps.

do you calculate the caustics on the final render, with all the objects at once?
or do an additional render, where you hide unnecessary objects and render only objects that generate and receive caustics?

2021-10-15, 06:50:42
Reply #179

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES

This changes everything! Haha... no, we didn't spot it. To be honest we've been going on Yuriy's remarks as we've not even had a chance to install the latest DB to check this out yet, that's a job for today. I would say though that to avoid confusion why not set it to Include mode in the first place? You could build in an error message to appear if you enable caustics but have nothing in the Include list, so the user has an idea why they're not seeing anything.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com