Author Topic: Comentary about Corona 2.0  (Read 9935 times)

2018-04-04, 16:30:05

ronaldjung

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The biggest Brazilian Archviz portal ( http://3d1.com.br/ ), posted today this, after Render Legion has published this two videos:

"After seeing the explanations of Ondrej Karlík, Corona, and Vladimir Koylazov of V-Ray, in the video they published about the purchase of Render Legion by Chaos Group, I really believed that the two renderers would benefit and would continue to advance together.
However, I have to admit that everything indicates that I was wrong, because after several months without seeing Corona news, when before the purchase were frequent, of the four videos that recently posted on Corona 2, three of them benefit the other Chaos Plug-ins like the Phoenix and V-Ray and only one is really new feature for the Corona.
First they released two videos showing the Corona's compatibility with Chaos's Phoenix FD fluid simulator, they have now released two more videos, one of which shows Corona rendering scenes configured with V-Ray even without V-Ray installed .
I take back everything I said if they exhibit the V-Ray rendering scenes set in the Corona.

In the video comments on YouTube most of them approved, mainly because there are many library objects configured for V-Ray, but some have commented on things like "keep your identity" and "why we should be interested in rendering V-Ray in the Corona."
The other video shows the only feature that only benefits the Corona, a new Advanced Bokeh for effects of lens blur in Corona Camera.

See below the two new videos on Corona 2, the first shows the compatibility with V-Ray. (...)"

Translated whit Google Translator. Original: http://3d1.com.br/noticia/66944

So... I'm starting to fell the same...

2018-04-04, 16:45:24
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
What people seem to have overlooked is what the plan was for Corona Renderer 2, as announced back in the 1.7 release article when looking ahead:

"As always after a release, we will be starting work right away on the next version. Detailed plans for Corona Renderer 2 and preliminary plans for 3 are already laid out and work has begun! Version 2 will be more focused on optimizations, tweaks, debugging, and quality of life improvements, to solidify all the major changes made in the last few versions."

Version 2 was always intended to be about optimizations and debugging, moving away from adding new features to "solidify all the major changes made in the last few versions". So it was always planned and intended that Corona Renderer 2 would be less about new features than previous releases (because we have been cramming so much in over the last few releases, it was time to consolidate!)

Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-04-04, 16:50:42
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
A quick check of the changelog will show that there have been a lot of changes - just that they are not about new features (which is just as planned... and not related at all to joining forces with Chaos Group, it was simply time that this was done). A look through the changelog will show lots of items beginning "Fixed...."

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=17972.0

This is also why there aren't Developer Insight videos showing those things, it's not very interesting to watch a video showcasing a bug fix :) So the videos have been on the new features, which are (as planned) much fewer than previous releases.

Perhaps someone would like to pass that news along to the Brazilian site :)

2018-04-04, 16:53:32
Reply #3

ronaldjung

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I will, for sure.

2018-04-04, 16:55:17
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
TY! It was mentioned in the 1.7 blog that this was to be expected - https://corona-renderer.com/blog/corona-renderer-1-7-for-3ds-max-released/

We are victims of our own success here as we have in the past always had so many new features in each release that people have come to expect it - but sometimes, when building for the future, you need to stop and tidy up the foundations before leaping ahead once more ;)

2018-04-04, 18:01:06
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Ondra just reminded me of an important thing that is overlooked here too - Phoenix FD support is not Phoenix FD support, but heterogenous media support. This happens to include Phoenix FD (which also happens to have lots of demo scenes available for it so was used for the video as that made it fast and easy to showcase it all working), but also includes FumeFX and general OpenVDB support too.

2018-04-04, 19:12:30
Reply #6

ronaldjung

• Active Users
    • View Profile
They made an update in the post:

After seeing the explanations of Ondrej Karlík, Corona, and Vladimir Koylazov of V-Ray, in the video they published about the purchase of Render Legion by Chaos Group, I really believed that the two renderers would benefit and would continue to advance together.

However, I have to admit that everything indicates that I was wrong, because after several months without seeing Corona news, when before the purchase were frequent, of the four videos that recently posted on Corona 2, three of them benefit the other Chaos Plug-ins like the Phoenix and V-Ray and only one is really new feature for the Corona.

First they released two videos showing the Corona's compatibility with Chaos's Phoenix FD fluid simulator, they have now released two more videos, one of which shows Corona rendering scenes configured with V-Ray even without V-Ray installed .

I take back everything I said if they exhibit the V-Ray rendering scenes set in the Corona.

In the video comments on YouTube most of them approved, mainly because there are many library objects configured for V-Ray, but some have commented on things like "keep their identity" and "why we should be interested in rendering V-Ray in the Corona."

The other video shows the only feature that only benefits the Corona, a new Advanced Bokeh for effects of lens blur in Corona Camera.

According to Render Legion, who was contacted about the news by the artist and member of 3D1, Ronald Venturo, the company is following exactly the schedule that had already been planned before the purchase by the Chaos Group, which provides the focus of the development of version 2 in the consolidation of the features added in the latest versions and not in the addition of new features.

Therefore, we should not expect great news during version 2x as happened in the cycle of version 1x, also intend to publish fewer videos because it is not interesting to display videos of corrections of existing resources.

You can see Render Legion's comment in full in Ronald Venturo's post by clicking here.

See below the two new videos on Corona 2, the first shows the compatibility with V-Ray.

Regards!

2018-04-04, 19:28:39
Reply #7

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for passing along the information :)

2018-04-04, 19:31:58
Reply #8

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Also, we'll see if we can demo FumeFX in a video (not so many demo scenes for it, so it may not be as pretty!), and once OpenVDB is completed we'll show something from that too. You can also expect updates to the Material Library, and then there's the Corona Toolbar (but that isn't that exciting to show in a video), the faster Shadowcatcher (best shown with still images, we have some side-by-side for the release article, but again, not worth a video) - so there are new features in there still, even though they aren't the big focus this time around.

2018-04-09, 22:06:30
Reply #9

marqueso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The biggest loss was sketchup corona was abandoned. Seems like there is a huge market that was given to Chaos group by not expanding to this market.

2018-04-09, 22:19:50
Reply #10

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The biggest loss was sketchup corona was abandoned. Seems like there is a huge market that was given to Chaos group by not expanding to this market.

And the reasons for that were unrelated to the merger - see post from the devs (and earlier posts from the team) on the thread about the decision to stop development:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=19185.msg123651#msg123651

2018-04-09, 22:43:34
Reply #11

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No matter the reasons, it was still a sad decision from a user point of view. And the suggested solution (use Vray) is simply stupid - why not use Vray for 3dsMax then?

2018-04-10, 03:56:37
Reply #12

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
... And the suggested solution (use Vray) is simply ****** - why not use Vray for 3dsMax then?
hi Proh, whats wrong with that suggestion? it is absolutely normal if you suggest someone to use your parent's software.
why not use Vray for 3dsMax then, because they were talking with sketchUp user. And it would be simply worst if corona suggest them to spend much more money to buy 3dsMax and change their whole workflow instead of what i explained in my first sentence.

2018-04-10, 11:51:23
Reply #13

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's all about workflow. When using both packages (Max & SU) it's preferable not to use two different render engines. So when people are forced/encouraged to use Vray in SU, it's probably only a matter of time before they use that in Max as well.

This is not a good business strategy for Corona, and I don't think it would have happened if Corona wasn't bought by Vray. As you said yourself: "It is absolutely normal if you suggest someone to use your parents software".

2018-04-10, 12:14:58
Reply #14

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
only if when using both packages and i believe they're (users) not forced by any means.
and.. Anyway, its enough.
Cheers :)