Poll

What option do you prefer to control hair highlights size?

Glossiness (currently used, also behaves similarly to CoronaMtl)
Roughness (usually hair shaders/materials use roughness instead of glossiness)

Author Topic: 1.7 - Hair shader playground and feedback  (Read 42401 times)

2017-07-11, 23:27:41
Reply #30

Bigguns

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes I know that. But 490 000 rays/s on a dual xeon 2683 v3 (so 28 cores / 56 threads), on approx. 1200x900px is really really slow.

Like he said, don't use Opacity ! and you don't need opacity, this shader has super nice SSS build in to simulate real hair scattering.

and as a comparaison , in just a few minute I get this result , I don't know what you did wrong with you'r scene.. and I have only 4 cores 8 threads.. I7 2600k ..

Also, if you lit with an HDRI image, some will affect a lot the render time .. it's a thing to watch
« Last Edit: 2017-07-12, 00:25:13 by Bigguns »

2017-07-12, 01:32:26
Reply #31

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Why do I have this strange white dots? They are positioned on the hairs segments vertexes.
Also, I don't see any differences when I change the Curve Subdivs parameter.
In mantis a bug report with video: during the animations, I have some frames competently black.

2017-07-12, 01:43:48
Reply #32

Bigguns

• Active Users
    • View Profile
here's an other fur test .... dont ask me what it is ^^

2017-07-12, 01:56:07
Reply #33

Bigguns

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Why do I have this strange white dots? They are positioned on the hairs segments vertexes.
Also, I don't see any differences when I change the Curve Subdivs parameter.
In mantis a bug report with video: during the animations, I have some frames competently black.

cecofuli, I just did test and it's the glint that does that ... definately something to check in there I guess.. if you put it to zero it's ok. And BTW, the subdivs are there for hairfarm, if you use ahir and fur or ornatrix you don't need to touch it there.

2017-07-12, 02:23:06
Reply #34

marqueso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can this be used for grass or carpeting?

2017-07-12, 02:38:49
Reply #35

Bigguns

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hmm does grass or carpet are made of hairs ? lol it's not a tool for making actual hair, it's a shader to put on hairs or fur , it's different. If you'r capet is made of fur, like a bear carpet, then yes, if it's a fabric carpet, then you'r better with the coronaMtl .

2017-07-12, 09:26:24
Reply #36

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes I know that. But 490 000 rays/s on a dual xeon 2683 v3 (so 28 cores / 56 threads), on approx. 1200x900px is really really slow.
Make sure you are rendering hair as planes, not cylinders, and definitely make sure you are not using any opacity mapping. These two things can slow rendering down extremely.

Hair passes parameter was the issue, it was set on 2 and needs to be set to 1. And there was no geometry under the Hair&Fur. killer combo...

That's way better now !

BTW, There is some uncleanable high noise on the ground. I guess it is introduced by hairMaterial as i never seen that kind of noise before. It seems to be more pronounced on cat's surronding

« Last Edit: 2017-07-12, 09:51:21 by Fluss »

2017-07-12, 09:54:57
Reply #37

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hair passes parameter was the issue, it was set on 2 and needs to be set to 1. And there was no geometry under the Hair&Fur. killer combo...

That's way better now !

BTW, There is some uncleanable high noise on the ground. I guess it is introduced by hairMaterial as i never seen that kind of noise before.

What hair solution do you use? In native H&F hair passes acts as simple multiplier for hair count. It shouldn't affect rendering speed much.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-07-12, 10:05:10
Reply #38

Bigguns

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Some new and older tests

2017-07-12, 10:15:52
Reply #39

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile

That's way better now !

BTW, There is some uncleanable high noise on the ground. I guess it is introduced by hairMaterial as i never seen that kind of noise before.

What hair solution do you use? In native H&F hair passes acts as simple multiplier for hair count. It shouldn't affect rendering speed much.

Max H&F

2017-07-12, 10:20:41
Reply #40

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Max H&F

Could you tell how did you achieve mapping to work then? For me H&F mapping doesn't work with Corona.

2017-07-12, 10:49:15
Reply #41

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Max H&F

Could you tell how did you achieve mapping to work then? For me H&F mapping doesn't work with Corona.

It's a downloaded assset but from what i see, it is mapped on the base geometry then in H&F material parameters, diffuse is plugged in tip color and root color.

2017-07-12, 10:58:03
Reply #42

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Right, but hair is still H&F or is it converted to mesh/splines? i can plug maps in whatever hair material's slots and it doesn't work except for 3d procedural ones which doesn't need UV coordinates.

Can anyone else confirm if H&F mapping is picked up by Corona or not?

2017-07-12, 11:02:47
Reply #43

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It' still H&F, rendering set to geometry in Env effects.

2017-07-12, 11:14:34
Reply #44

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hmm, i think i found what it is. You're not using CoronaHair material in H&F mr parameters, right? I think it's wrong approach, although it seems to respect mapping and gives some remote possibility to colorize hair, but you loose all hair material controls and overal result looks much worse. I guess we need to wait for full and proper H&F support to be implemented.