Author Topic: Override Unsupported Material slot  (Read 3464 times)

2017-03-02, 14:32:22

matsu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think the way Corona handles unsupported materials is very good - displaying that error message text directly in the render.

However, sometimes I don't have the need nor the time to track down the unsupported material. I would therefore like to see an "Unsupported Mtl. Override" option in the Render Overrides box.

Thanks in advance! 8)

2017-03-02, 15:53:04
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
That's an interesting idea, however I think that the correct workflow would be launching the converter script and converting all materials to Corona ones. Takes seconds.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-03-02, 16:53:32
Reply #2

matsu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That is of course the most obvious solution. However, I often just need to output something very quickly, and then later go back and set the materials properly. Having converted the materials isn't always the most practical thing in those cases.

Also, we work a lot with linked FBX models, and then do an "Xref Scene" into the scene where we have cameras, lights and other additions. In these cases I have to open the linked scene, edit the materials and reload the model in my render scene. A bit cumbersome, and therefore having the feature I requested would help. 

I just thought I should give some further insight to the problem. When working with Revit, you get these pesky unsupported materials. What I do is that I have a matlib which replaces the revit materials. This works as long as the architects stick to the default materials, but ever so often, they import some 3rd party geometry, which has new materials. When updating, they slip through unnoticed - until you render. So, having a possibility to just override all unsupported materials would be great.
« Last Edit: 2017-03-02, 17:16:08 by matsu »

2017-03-08, 16:24:42
Reply #3

Naxos

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Or maybe to get the "unsupported material" using RaySwitch, so it is visible, but not sending red GI everywhere ;-)