Author Topic: Corona Reflection Value  (Read 1660 times)

2020-09-27, 16:25:52

herncabret

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I just wanted to get an idea from everyone... for what materials are you not setting your reflection value to 1.
Someone mentioned in a forum a while back that the value should be set to 1 for most materials and then adjusted through the glossiness.

Do you believe this to be true / when are you not setting the value to 1?

Thanks!

2020-09-28, 10:59:50
Reply #1

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's pretty much how I work - the only time I don't is carpets and certain fabrics where I set it to zero.

It's worth saying though if I ever felt the need to reduce the reflection value then I would if it benefitted the image.

2020-09-28, 16:06:03
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
You can use whatever you wish - 0, 1, or anything in-between. Always using the reflection level value of 1 is what we suggest if you are following the PBR guidelines, but this is not mandatory.

An example would be walls. If you need great realism, you can make them reflective. But most likely, you will get faster rendering if your walls don't have reflectivity.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-09-28, 22:52:05
Reply #3

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The thought behind it is that everything is as reflective as everything else. Nothing hard gets hit by light and just absorbs it. If something looks matt its because the surface is very rough and is SCATTERING the light in lots of directions so you dont see the reflection. If its glossy then the light is hitting the surface and bouncing back in a straight line (kind of). So everything is 100% reflective. But it varies in surface roughness. This is what the gloss level can control.

So if youre really focussing on realism and mimicking a real world material, your reflection value should always be 1. Otherwise it isnt physically possible in reality.
« Last Edit: 2020-09-28, 22:59:51 by Jpjapers »