Author Topic: DR - ignores Environment Variable?  (Read 1417 times)

2020-09-21, 12:18:25

3dcrgr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have this Megascans workaround that you place an environment variable
Code: [Select]
ADSK_3DSMAX_PYTHON_VERSION=2and it allows you to install Megascans in 3dsmax 2021.

Its seems to work until I fire up DR, because it keeps crashing and the Max log shows up it has something to do with Megascans.
I think this is because DR ignores the Environment Variable and fires up 3dsmax 2021 with python 3 instad of python 2..
I did remove Megascans from 3dsmax and it seemed to help and DR works as intended, but I want to keep using it.

Is there a way to fix it?

« Last Edit: 2020-09-21, 12:30:51 by 3dcrgr »

2020-09-21, 13:53:41
Reply #1

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Environment variables are not forwarded to slaves. I'd try to setup this on a slave and to do a test DR render with that one.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2020-10-01, 07:49:55
Reply #2

3dcrgr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Said environment variable is already set on the slave and works perfectly if I open up 3ds max.
But, when launching 3ds max via the corona DR tool it loop-crashes.

2020-10-01, 09:15:44
Reply #3

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Is it a system env var or only set for one user? If the latter, do you run drserver as the same user which has the variable set, not as Administrator or some other user?

Other way round: if you delete the variable on the dr node and fire up Max, does it render the scene or do you get a similar crash?

You may place the attached script on the dr node into the scripts/startup directory, start DrServer and have a look at max.log. There should be a line
"* Environment variable 'ADSK_3DSMAX_PYTHON_VERSION':" and the current value to make sure it is correctly set and used.

Which Corona version do you use?

Have you tried the "usual" fix for repeatedly dr crashes?

Can you show the last lines of max.log indicating the issue that leads to the crash?

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.