Author Topic: Override material preserve opacity maps  (Read 19186 times)

2015-09-07, 12:11:34

mtanasiewicz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I noticed that under override material there is an option "preserve displacement". It would be great if it also had an option to preserve opacity maps. It would help a lot with rendering volumetric pass for example :)

2015-09-07, 14:04:02
Reply #1

mtanasiewicz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No? No one interested? :P

2015-09-07, 14:35:44
Reply #2

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This has been requested before so it should be on the radar, but let's wait until a mod/dev approves.

2015-09-07, 14:35:47
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Already suggested.

The problem is, once there is "preserve opacity", someone else will need "preserve bump" and someone "preserve reflectivity", ..... and suddenly override mtl will not be needed at all. ;)
« Last Edit: 2015-10-23, 16:48:41 by maru »
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-09-07, 14:45:38
Reply #4

mtanasiewicz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No, even if You tick all these options, except "preserve diffuse" it won't be the same. But I don't know what for someone would use "preserve bump" or "preserve reflectivity", because I can't see a clear situation where it would be needed. Opacity maps on the other hand would save a lot work with volumetrics if You wan't to composite it in post. For example if You work with many 3d vegetation objects and wan't to render a separate pass of volumetrics, if You don't change the leafs materials manually with preserving opacity maps, You get bad results. So it would be very useful option, especially for animation :). Right now You have to save another file, change all the leaves manually - imagine 20 foliage models like bushes, trees, ivies and so on. Than try to make any changes, like moving some objects in the scene, and if You need another volumetrics pass, you have to redo the same work twice...

A one click solution for this problem is worth some programming I think :)

2015-09-07, 20:23:12
Reply #5

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
The problem is, once there is "preserve opacity", someone else will need "preserve bump" and someone "preserve reflectivity", [...]

I think it´s really a difference. Why was "preserve displacement" introduced? To maintain the visual appearance of geometry to be used for various needs. For me, bump and opacitiy is therefore valid in this context while reflectivity and others are not.

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2015-09-07, 23:04:05
Reply #6

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Preserve opacity makes sense. So does preserve displacement. And that's because you want silhouette of your custom render passes to be consistent with beauty pass. Only thing other than displacement that affects silhouette of the scene is opacity. That's why it would be good to have. Bump nor reflection affect silhouette.

But imagine you are rendering just a volume fog pass, and you assign black material override to everything. If you have for example trees with opacity mapped leaves in the scene, they will render as square polygons without opacity maps in the volume pass, and it will be very obvious once comped over beauty. So you would have to work around it by manually creating multiple materials with opacity maps for each different leaf type. And since you would have to apply those materials physically to the scene, and exclude them from override, it would completely defeat the purpose of material override.

2015-09-08, 13:39:08
Reply #7

mtanasiewicz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Exactly, that's what I meant :) for reflection You have a reflection pass so u don't need it, bump is not usable, but those square polygon leaves... It drives me crazy all the time and I always choose to make volumetrics manually in post instead of render it. If I had this "preserve opacity" option I'd definately go into creating great fogs in 3D. But it is too hard to get it good on beauty. Having it on a separate pass is a must!

2015-10-13, 11:17:53
Reply #8

mtanasiewicz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So how about this option? Will You consider adding it?

Right now I'm creating a short animation where I have to separate volumetrics pass from beauty. And I'll have really much work to do, to override all trees and bushes materials. :)

2015-10-23, 15:13:40
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
bump by popular demand ;)
also added mantis entry #1386
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-10-23, 15:53:24
Reply #10

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Bump - yes, absolutely!!

2015-10-23, 16:29:24
Reply #11

Caue Rodrigues

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Studio IKI

2015-10-23, 16:31:19
Reply #12

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-10-23, 16:41:27
Reply #13

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-10-23, 18:00:40
Reply #14

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile