Author Topic: SIGGRAPH 2019 - LA - Who is going?  (Read 4547 times)

2019-05-29, 11:04:09

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Corona will be there ;). We will have 2 talks, booth with interactive demo (in cooperation with Intel), and there will be chaos party... who is in? :D
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2019-05-29, 19:40:00
Reply #1

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this year as my vacation from work is on at the same time. Hopefully see you next year!

2019-05-30, 08:42:52
Reply #2

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this year as my vacation from work is on at the same time. Hopefully see you next year!
BTW I will be in vancouver between 13-14. 8... ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2019-05-30, 11:28:10
Reply #3

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
How artists can afford to fly all over the world and pay the ticket prices for SOA, SIGGRAPH etc amazes me.
Maybe im underpaid haha. Best of luck with the talks!

2019-05-30, 11:42:36
Reply #4

Philip kelly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Sketchrender
Same here, family,mortgage, bills, software expenses every year.
Coffee is my big luxury.
Enjoy though, looks like a great event.
I wish I could go, some day................
Dell Precision T7910

2019-05-30, 11:57:25
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
How artists can afford to fly all over the world and pay the ticket prices for SOA, SIGGRAPH etc amazes me.

Want the real answer :- ) ? From someone who's been to quite few, in recent years: 90perc. of people are there paid for by company. Not sure how "good employees" are chosen for bigger studios :- ) (Although, in certain local game event, due to being main sponsor, our biggest game company fills like 200 out of 300 people going to the event, lol ).

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-05-30, 13:00:16
Reply #6

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Want the real answer :- ) ? From someone who's been to quite few, in recent years: 90perc. of people are there paid for by company. Not sure how "good employees" are chosen for bigger studios :- ) (Although, in certain local game event, due to being main sponsor, our biggest game company fills like 200 out of 300 people going to the event, lol ).

Sort of prices out any very small companies then doesnt it. I used to work for a huge retailer and they offered to send me to autodesk university but the lasy two years were entirely focussed on Revit so there wasnt any real benefit to me going.

2019-05-30, 14:42:16
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
There are events of all sort of price range and no qualitative difference :- ). Some of the best CGI events (I am talking always 1-2 full days of presentations/workshops) I went to were around 100 +/- Euros per person or less.
The ones more corporate industry oriented (Siggraph for general graphics, Game Developer Conference for real-time, E3 ) do go for 500-2000 Euro often...

I think the ones for Archviz (SOA, D2, RenderIt, etc..) are well priced at +/- 250 Euro per person. If you are freelancer and you have one near you than with travel costs and accomodation it comes up to acceptable rate if you consider it as part-time vacation.
For me for example SOA is really the best because you can spend day in Venice, another in Bienalle and then go home making your money worth even if the presentations were bunch of marketing crap :- ).

But truth be told from someone who went to at least 15 events and spoke at half of them, you're not missing much. You can network and find inspiration in your local pub. I really envy more events like London Meetup and similar. And you can always make one like that yourself in your city.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-05-30, 14:51:10
Reply #8

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There are events of all sort of price range and no qualitative difference :- ). Some of the best CGI events (I am talking always 1-2 full days of presentations/workshops) I went to were around 100 +/- Euros per person or less.
The ones more corporate industry oriented (Siggraph for general graphics, Game Developer Conference for real-time, E3 ) do go for 500-2000 Euro often...

I think the ones for Archviz (SOA, D2, RenderIt, etc..) are well priced at +/- 250 Euro per person. If you are freelancer and you have one near you than with travel costs and accomodation it comes up to acceptable rate if you consider it as part-time vacation.
For me for example SOA is really the best because you can spend day in Venice, another in Bienalle and then go home making your money worth even if the presentations were bunch of marketing crap :- ).

But truth be told from someone who went to at least 15 events and spoke at half of them, you're not missing much. You can network and find inspiration in your local pub. I really envy more events like London Meetup and similar. And you can always make one like that yourself in your city.

The Peter Guthrie archviz course is €1950 at SOA plus the cost of getting to the venue but it looks absolutely fantastic. Ive wanted to learn from Peter and Henry  since i started University because I love the way they use sketchup in their pipeline. I also love to geek out over the research stuff at siggraph haha. I wish i lived in London quite frankly as the 3ds meetup looks amazing and more than anything I really really want to learn from people whose work i admire. Living in the North of the UK theres not much of a community in our industry because there just isnt as many companies close to each other. Maybe one day ill make the jump down south but the rent is more than triple what i pay now!
« Last Edit: 2019-05-30, 16:20:10 by jpjapers »