Author Topic: UNC or mapped network drive  (Read 1325 times)

2019-03-15, 08:12:55

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Hi all,

We are having some really long loading times with big files with many forestpack`s in, so not sure if its related to network setup. We run 10Gbe network with cisco switch and nvme storage so it shouldn`t be that slow. Is it recommended to access network drives via UNC or mapped network drive system? Please advise.

Thanks,
Hrvoje

2019-03-15, 12:52:27
Reply #1

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Is it recommended to access network drives via UNC or mapped network drive system?
Makes no difference. How a file's path is being expressed does not impact performance.

We run 10Gbe network with cisco switch and nvme storage so it shouldn`t be that slow.
"It shouldn't be that slow" is quite the statement. This is as fast as it get's with consumer level technology.

All in all it's not enough information to help you. By long loading times do you mean 3dsMax starting / opening files or the loading that Corona does at the start of a render? "Big files with many forestpacks" is also unspecific.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2019-03-15, 13:18:23
Reply #2

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Yes, unc vs. mapped drive: no difference in speed. The question is what's the slow part. Have you measured your network throughput yet? (e.g. using iperf or windows perfmon). Or the simple quick test by copying large files around? The bottleneck is most likely Max. When I load a larger scene for 4-5 minues with xrefs and ForestPack stuff I get lan activity for only about 50% of the loading time - and only around 30 to 40% of the available bandwidth.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.