Author Topic: 3ds max 2016 sp3 long file opening  (Read 9403 times)

2017-09-08, 15:01:53

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
We are encountering long files opening, takes 3-4 minutes to open 80 mb file (compressed), which is painfull when using DR (3-4 min parsing). Anyone else has this problem? We have 10gb network, so assets loading isn`t it.

Thanks!

Edit: Charlie has it all written down, seems to be a major problem, would be great if everyone with the problem to join the discussion:

So could be good to have a summary post can anyone prove/disprove/add to any of the following;

Factors the issue is not directly related too. - ie the issue still occurs with a change/removal of said items
Server OS - Qnap,FreeNAS,Synology all tested
Antivirus Software - Disabled + tested on Multiple
Client OS - Windows7/Windows 10 Testes
3DS MAX Service Packs - SP3 and SP4 Tested
XREFS
FTH

Factors that seem to resolve the issue. - ie The issue has not come about post action
Copying a file + assets locally.
Removing all maps & assets.

Possible causes.
File watch system
Assets files locking?
his problem was the bottleneck transfer data in RAID disk read/write (May need more investigation but as far as I can see this is not the issue)
Retimers - https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/max-files-take-ages-to-open/m-p/5521825#M99827

Possible Further Tests
Server Packs Pre SP3 - Tested, didn`t fix the problem
Removing all Plugins/Scripts ....
Testing with a different version of MAX
Retimers https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/max-files-take-ages-to-open/m-p/5521825#M99827
Check ping with license server. When 3ds max starts, it is not just max that checks license, many plugins also checks license.

Observations - All on the same scene file
When opening the file whilst watching it load into RAM a sudden slow/freeze occurs
After opening this file opening a second copy of 3DS Max at the same time and trying to open the file again (whilst the first copy is still trying to load almost always loads perfectly
Network not stressed at time of file opening
« Last Edit: 2017-09-13, 14:50:49 by hrvojezg00 »

2017-09-08, 17:45:39
Reply #1

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be

2017-09-11, 08:18:46
Reply #2

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
No, no xrefs, all done in 3dsmax except imported CAD plans (not xref`d).

2017-09-11, 09:06:47
Reply #3

johan belmans

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
I had a problem with xrefs, when merging everything into one file, It took 3 minutes less to open the file. Did you try to merge everything into a new file and if possible delete all the cad plans?

2017-09-11, 09:30:21
Reply #4

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
We are encountering long files opening, takes 3-4 minutes to open 80 mb file (compressed), which is painfull when using DR (3-4 min parsing). Anyone else has this problem? We have 10gb network, so assets loading isn`t it.

Thanks!
does every 80mb scenes always takes 3-4minutes?
my friend has 10gb network and experienced this too. his problem was the bottleneck transfer data in RAID disk read/write .. i don't have deeper knowledge in networking nor PC hardwares, so i cant explains the details.

2017-09-11, 10:22:16
Reply #5

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Pretty much all files take that long regardless of size. Could it be sp3 fault?

2017-09-11, 10:55:24
Reply #6

johan belmans

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
SP3 could be the problem, have you tried opening the files in another version of Max?

2017-09-11, 11:30:05
Reply #7

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Haven`t since all pc`s got to have the same software to prevent any problems with DR. We will try applying sp4 and see how it goes.

2017-09-11, 12:49:31
Reply #8

Charlie Nicols

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have encountered the same problem. Still troubleshooting with Autodesk.

Something you could try that works for us;

1) Open the file that is taking a long time to open.
2) In a new copy of Max try opening the same file at the same time as the first is opening. In many cases it opens almost straight away...

Removing all maps seems to stop any long load times as well.(Not very helpful though!)

Feel free to PM as well on this issue.

2017-09-11, 12:53:52
Reply #9

Frenkkk

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Thanks!

probably is the "FTH" enable

see here:
https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000678431-windows-enabled-fault-tolerant-heap-for-3dsmax-or-dependent-processes-this-may-have-severe-perform

2017-09-11, 13:06:35
Reply #10

Charlie Nicols

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I had FTH disabled and this issue is still occurring.

Autodesk Tech Support's Response
*Basically asked them why 3DS Max takes so long/gets stuck opening files 2016 SP3 in a network environment -- Note taking a file + Assets locally fixes any problems opening the file*

**Second Note - Removing all texture files seemed to stop this happening hence promoting a more specific response**

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have heard back from one of our Principal Engineers in regards to this issue, and he mentioned that this sounds like a possible problem with the FileWatch system in 3ds Max.

For instance, when you load a scene file, Max will load the scene file and then immediately close it. So with someone else opening that same file, it shouldn’t have any effect at all, at least in terms of the scene file itself. But if the file has bitmap texture maps, then a FileWatch is placed on the bitmap files. So in this case, you will end up with multiple FileWatches on the files from different 3ds Max sessions. That shouldn’t cause a huge problem, but sounds like it may be in this case. 

So let's try turning off ‘Reload textures on change’ option in the Max Preferences and see it that helps.  =]

Customize > Preferences... > Files tab > Reload textures on change
User-added image

Also inquired about antivirus getting in the way?

In regards to Kaspersky, I am not sure of any know issue at this time...however, I will mention that in previous years (when I was working in Production animation) we had Kaspersky as our anti-virus software and Max would not run properly with it enabled. -- Again, this was a few years ago but it may be worth disabling it just for some testing to find out if that is still the case.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017-09-11, 14:01:49
Reply #11

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
I can confirm disabling FTH doesn`t work. Did the "Reload textures on change" help? What is that?
edit: That doesn`t help either. Something is slowing dow/disabling access to maps that are on the network, but what I have no idea. Firewalll and antivirus disabled, still nothing.
« Last Edit: 2017-09-11, 14:41:32 by hrvojezg00 »

2017-09-11, 16:36:37
Reply #12

Charlie Nicols

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Same results here, all suggestions from Autodesk have had no effect however the support team did kindly let me know that '3DS Max was not designed to run scenes across a network with multiple users accessing the files' ....

**jaw drop**

... It's got to be something case specific though otherwise surely more people would be highlighting this problem..

2017-09-11, 20:34:11
Reply #13

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Same results here, all suggestions from Autodesk have had no effect however the support team did kindly let me know that '3DS Max was not designed to run scenes across a network with multiple users accessing the files' ....

**jaw drop**

:- D Amazing.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-09-12, 08:34:59
Reply #14

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Charlie, what system to you use as server unit?