Author Topic: 3ds max 2016 sp3 long file opening  (Read 9539 times)

2017-09-12, 10:40:44
Reply #15

Charlie Nicols

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We did work of a Syology however have recently switched to a Supermicro running FreeNAS, problem arises on both.

Seems to happen on Windows 10 + Windows 7. Have you tested both also?

2017-09-12, 10:42:15
Reply #16

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
We run Qnap, so that isn`t it. I`m running out of ideas.

2017-09-12, 13:38:33
Reply #17

Charlie Nicols

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So could be good to have a summary post can anyone prove/disprove/add to any of the following;

Factors the issue is not directly related too. - ie the issue still occurs with a change/removal of said items
Server OS - Qnap,FreeNAS,Synology all tested
Antivirus Software - Disabled + tested on Multiple
Client OS - Windows7/Windows 10 Testes
3DS MAX Service Packs - SP3 and SP4 Tested
XREFS
FTH

Factors that seem to resolve the issue. - ie The issue has not come about post action
Copying a file + assets locally.
Removing all maps & assets.

Possible causes.
File watch system
Assets files locking?
his problem was the bottleneck transfer data in RAID disk read/write (May need more investigation but as far as I can see this is not the issue)
Retimers - https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/max-files-take-ages-to-open/m-p/5521825#M99827

Possible Further Tests
Server Packs Pre SP3
Removing all Plugins/Scripts ....
Testing with a different version of MAX
Retimers https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/max-files-take-ages-to-open/m-p/5521825#M99827
Check ping with license server. When 3ds max starts, it is not just max that checks license, many plugins also checks license.

Observations - All on the same scene file
  • When opening the file whilst watching it load into RAM a sudden slow/freeze occurs
  • After opening this file opening a second copy of 3DS Max at the same time and trying to open the file again (whilst the first copy is still trying to load almost always loads perfectly
  • Network not stressed at time of file opening

« Last Edit: 2017-09-12, 16:59:17 by Charlie Nicols »

2017-09-13, 13:51:13
Reply #18

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Pre SP3 tested without plugins, doesn`t work either.

2017-09-13, 14:59:14
Reply #19

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Here is something that could work, this guy says its probably missing network paths issue, not sure if it is:

Short answer (for those TL;DR guys out there):
Non existing network paths is the problem here. Solution is to re-link the assets by a script before opening a .max file.

Here the proper answer:
I can't tell exactly who is the culprit here, if it's 3dsmax, Windows, network card/drivers or the network itself, but the fact is that once you load a texture into your max file from a network you end up with 3dsmax checking that network path every time you open the scene. Which is correct, right? Unfortunately this becomes a problem when that network path no longer exists. For some reason it takes a long time for 3rdsmax/windows/network card to figure out that the network path doesn't exist anymore and if you have a scene file with dozens of textures then it can take 10 or more minutes to open it. I observes this varries on different setups and networks.

Anyway, the solution that I found is to re-link the network paths of assets (textures, xrefs, etc.) in the scene file before opening it by using Maxscript.  Just search for "getMAXFileAssetMetadata" and "setMAXFileAssetMetadata". I made a simple script using those functions which takes a .max file of your choosing, looks for any assets within the file with network paths and re-links those paths to local space. It's quite simple and doesn't allow much of customization (let alone error checking) so I don't dare to upload it here but if anybody's interested feel free to PM me or write me an e-mail and I'll send you the script. I use it successfuly on old files and they all load very quickly now.

2017-09-14, 12:57:29
Reply #20

Charlie Nicols

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's interesting, also makes sense! I may send this information through to autodesk support and get their opinion. Have you managed to test this yourself?

2017-09-14, 14:30:50
Reply #21

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Not yet, but plan to work on it tomorrow. Let me know if you get Autodesk response.