Author Topic: Updating my graphic card (Gigabyte GTX Titan Z) Anyone buy this yet?  (Read 14181 times)

2014-11-30, 17:12:25

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I was thinking of getting a graphics card and I was wondering if anyone out there has bought the Gigabyte GTX Titan Z. It's reduced from 2599.95€ to 989,95€ at the link below. My motherboard only supports PCIe 2.0 at the moment but I was thinking of upgrading that later on. (The card is backwards compatible)

http://www.coolmod.com/tarjeta-grafica-gigabyte-gtx-titan-z-12gb-gddr5-precio?virtuemart_category_id=12

Specs for this card:
Brand: EVGA
Model: 12G-P4-3990-KR
Interface: PCI Express 3.0
Chipset Manufacturer: NVIDIA
GPU: GeForce GTX TITAN Z
Core Clock: 705MHz
Boost Clock: 876MHz
CUDA Cores: 5760
Effective Memory Clock: 7000MHz
Memory Size: 12GB
Memory Interface: 768-Bit
Memory Type: GDDR5
DirectX: DirectX 12 (feature level 11_0)
OpenGL: OpenGL 4.4

Do you think this is a good buy or what would you recommend as an alternative to the above.

REVIEW: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-z-review.html
« Last Edit: 2014-11-30, 17:26:56 by 3dwannab »

2014-11-30, 23:25:17
Reply #1

Jann

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Do you plan heavy high res gaming or experimenting with GPU rendering?
All 3d packages only use one gpu (or gpu core in this case) for viewport, so you're not getting double performance there.
So, for basic 3d work and gaming just get a 970 or 980. If you plan heavy gaming (4k, multi monitor, etc) - add another one. That Titan Z is only worth it if you render on it.

2014-12-01, 00:35:46
Reply #2

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well once corona IR is out on the first release I probably will need something with a little more performance.

That is if Corona Interactice rendering could support this feature of multiple GPUs? Keymaster, if you see this. Will this be the case?

I didn't know 3d packages can only use one GPU but would it not also free up the other GPU for other applications, to take the load off.

This card overall is roughly double that of the cards you mention, but I have to say I like the idea of two GPUs built into one card though. I shall ponder for a bit and see. Lets hope that card is not part of the black Friday promotions!

2014-12-01, 02:41:18
Reply #3

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Corona Interactive doesn't use GPU for rendering, it is CPU based same as Corona offline rendering.
So what every gpu you buy will have no effect on rendering whats so ever.
It will help your viewports with  heavy poly scenes and large texture maps.
Here's the blog entry for interactive rendering.
https://corona-renderer.com/blog/version-1-0-sneak-peak-interactive-rendering/

2014-12-01, 02:53:24
Reply #4

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you are planning to use any GPU renderer (not Corona), then you should also note, that the 12 GB RAM in fact is 2x6 GB, meaning that your entire scene has to fit into 6 GB.

2014-12-01, 21:27:44
Reply #5

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks guys, I'm aware of the display is based on GPU only. I watch that video when it was released but somewhere along the line I forgot it was CPU only. Better anyway as it has no limitations like a GPU would have I suppose.

@PROH How is that measurable. Fit inside 6GB? I don't understand.

2014-12-03, 14:12:56
Reply #6

Captain Obvious

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The Titan Z is actually two video cards in a single package. It won't work for anything in 3D except rendering (Octane, Redshift, etc). Corona does not use the GPU for anything and the Titan Z will not be better for viewports than a single Titan. Just buy a Geforce 970 instead. A Titan Z is a waste of money unless you do GPU rendering (or gaming, I guess).

2014-12-04, 01:23:57
Reply #7

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for your reply. I guess one 970, 980 like others have suggested is the way forward. Then upgrade if needed. That TITAN Z has increased by €400. Black friday=Sell stuff for what it's actually worth friday.

God , the last game I played was COD MW2. So that answers the do I game much question ;)

Thanks CO :D

2014-12-04, 22:18:25
Reply #8

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Titan-Z dropped price so heavily past months, it "almost" looks like good deal. Sadly it's not, I would say not even for GPU-rendering. 980/8GB that comes out in December will be that choice.

970 is universal choice of go-to GPU right now if you're after heavy use (GPU rendering/computing/accelerating + gaming), otherwise 750Ti for those who are not.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-12-05, 00:23:20
Reply #9

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Titan-Z dropped price so heavily past months, it "almost" looks like good deal. Sadly it's not, I would say not even for GPU-rendering. 980/8GB that comes out in December will be that choice.

970 is universal choice of go-to GPU right now if you're after heavy use (GPU rendering/computing/accelerating + gaming), otherwise 750Ti for those who are not.

Very good advice! Also, the 20nm 980ti (and 20nm Titan) is due to be released in the latter half of 2015. If you aren't in too much of a rush to buy I would personally wait on this card as we've been stuck on 28nm for years now.
Vray who?

2014-12-06, 21:06:19
Reply #10

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks guys for the sound advice, I seen lots of speculation on that card (980ti). Q4 of 2015 and early 2016 have been suggested by some people. I'm going to have to jump ship on my card soon as I'm having trouble with forest pack. The problem lies when merging objects into the scene which takes an absoulte age.

iToo guys think it's the card. I'm thinkng it may be that the scene is corrupt in some way. I've posted here http://bit.ly/1z91vxz if anyone knows any reason why merging objects into a scene could take as long as 20mins in the case of a forest pack object.

I've wrote and tried my script to get rid of any Motion Clips, Layer Controls + Retimer Managers (see below). But no joy.

Regarding that card. I'm going to opt for the 970 I think. I'm dying to try out speedtree and my card (ATI 4870x2) crashes as the firmware is in legacy release.

Code: [Select]
macroScript Cleanup category:"3dwannab" buttontext:"Cleanup" tooltip:"Clean Motion Clips, Layer Controls + Retimer Managers resulting in smaller file sizes"
(
if querybox "Clean Motion Clips, Layer Controls + Retimer Managers by 3dwannab (◣_◢)\n\nAre you sure ?" title:"Cleanup by 3dwannab (◣_◢)" beep:true
    then
        (
        t=trackviewnodes
        n=t[#Max_MotionClip_Manager]
        if n!=undefined then deleteTrackViewController t n.controller
        gc()
        t=trackviewnodes
        n=t[#Anim_Layer_Control_Manager]
        gc()
        t=trackviewnodes
        n=t[#Retimer_Manager]
        gc()
        messagebox "Resave + reset max!!!!\n\nCleanup complete of:\n-------------------------------------------\nMax_MotionClip_Manager\nAnim_Layer_Control_Manager nodes\nRetimer_Managers\n-------------------------------------------\n\nGoodbye...(◣_◢)" title:"Cleanup by 3dwannab (◣_◢)"  beep:true
    )
    else
    (
        -- DO NOTHING
    )
)

2014-12-09, 16:46:58
Reply #11

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just curious, what one did you have Juraj when doing the Icelandic house. On that thread for the Icelandic house (post: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,2018.msg15141.html#msg15141) the material previews setting is way up to 12 and with a large preview window.

For me this would be a massive time saver. I can't see anywhere on this forum or google if it's by graphics card or CPU.

2014-12-09, 17:22:13
Reply #12

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It's by CPU only.

Every part of Corona is run by CPU, rendering, interactive, and material preview. I used 4930k workstation to work on that project and mat preview 10+ takes about 20 seconds I think on average.

3dsMax viewport, is run by GPU, but poorly optimized in that fashion. If taken the best iteration of Nitrous (DX11) inside 3dsMax 2014/2015, it still doesn't care much about your GPU. 100 euro 750Ti performs almost same as the most expensive 780Ti for 600 euros. Same goes for Quadro. It's actually quite fast on IntelHD series, only further accenting the fact how poorly it's written. On comparison, Maya Viewport 2.0 (DX11) scales far better on GPU, almost linearly. 3dsMax, not so much. The only reason why 3dsMax appears fast is the semi-inteligent active degradation. Any game engine is 100 times faster...

So if you're building workstation for 3dsMax+Corona, 970 is as high as you should go. Additional GPU power will not give you any benefit at all.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2014-12-09, 18:27:42
Reply #13

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I knew everything else was CPU but previews I wasn't 100% sure. Thanks for that. I've got the i7-965 Processor Extreme Edition at the moment (8M Cache, 3.20 GHz)

I built this machine myself about 6 years ago. (I looked back at the order and it's 6 yrs to this day!! ) wow!

Back then it was a beast. I suppose it's got great overclocking abilities seeing as I have the matching Extreme edition MB (Asus Rampage II Extreme). I'm just afraid of my life of frying the chip and MB and possibly everything connected to the MB!

I suppose with enough research like I done when I was building it, I suppose I could get there. I learned how to build it but never went that extra step. After all, this MB and chip are made for over-clocking. Shame on me for not doing it.

You're a very knowledgeable guy Juraj as are most guys on here and I appreciate the info.

2014-12-09, 23:21:49
Reply #14

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
i7 965X is still great CPU ;- ) Funny how that works...on one hand, the progress in CPU performance is negligible, on other, at least your investment hold value not forcing you to upgrade constantly.

Btw I think I stated it somewhere, but I use that "mat quality=10+" only when I need to generate preview for forum reasons, or for personal library. Just in case so you don't think I keep that constantly :- )