Author Topic: Juraj's Renderings thread  (Read 487015 times)

2013-10-26, 00:22:05
Reply #105

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
No trouble - infinite random samples mean you don't need filter. In the worst case, maybe light edges might get worse...
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-10-26, 09:12:54
Reply #106

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Actually, light edges getting worse is not a worst case, it is what will (from my own experience) happen. When i was doing Archviz a lot, i found out that rendering without filter is just a means of rendering longer/with more noise for no particular reason.

2013-10-26, 13:21:44
Reply #107

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile

it looks like something like Xeon E5-1660 could be a way to go perhaps since I could fit two of those into one case.

Sorry, missed this. It's not possible to multi-socket E5-1xxx v1/v2 that's why they're so cheap. There is little to no advantage in getting Xeon 1xxx compared to i7 for our purposes, unless you want to use ECC rams and other small advantages of server platform, because the chip price/performance will be almost the same.

Yeah I figured there was something I missed since that particular CPU sounded pretty good :) Thanks for the insight.

Quote from: Juraj_Talcik
I have 3 currently. But like I said, that's not to be meant in distributed fashion, but each renders separately over night

That's a relief, I misunderstood and thought the actual computing time for your renders was like 30 hours! But enough tech talk I guess.. Didn't mean to go off topic - thanks for taking the time. Could we get back to you rendering all kinds of inspirational stuff? :P

2013-10-26, 19:20:14
Reply #108

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Actually, light edges getting worse is not a worst case, it is what will (from my own experience) happen. When i was doing Archviz a lot, i found out that rendering without filter is just a means of rendering longer/with more noise for no particular reason.

This is getting a bit too contradicting, so the sooner I try this, better. I had no light edges problem before.

Now, why would filtering work so differently in Corona compared to Vray ? It's absolutely unnecessary (even advised against in unclamped form, by Vlado himself) to use filter for stills, and it more oppositely, adds up to rendering time.

it looks like something like Xeon E5-1660 could be a way to go perhaps since I could fit two of those into one case.

Sorry, missed this. It's not possible to multi-socket E5-1xxx v1/v2 that's why they're so cheap. There is little to no advantage in getting Xeon 1xxx compared to i7 for our purposes, unless you want to use ECC rams and other small advantages of server platform, because the chip price/performance will be almost the same.

Yeah I figured there was something I missed since that particular CPU sounded pretty good :) Thanks for the insight.

Quote from: Juraj_Talcik
I have 3 currently. But like I said, that's not to be meant in distributed fashion, but each renders separately over night

That's a relief, I misunderstood and thought the actual computing time for your renders was like 30 hours! But enough tech talk I guess.. Didn't mean to go off topic - thanks for taking the time. Could we get back to you rendering all kinds of inspirational stuff? :P

Hey no problem, actually I enjoy discussing HW quite much. At the moment I am pondering the idea if it's worth give close-looped cooling systems a try or stay with giant 1kg Noctuas, which I have no problem with, apart from problematic  transportation.

Not much I can post now, we're still in NYC and work on too different stuff, nothing I could post. I hope to quickly give shape to the house I posted weeks ago when I come home next weekend. It was finished as commercial project, but I only post projects once I redo them slightly and render additional pictures.

Anyway, it's few weeks left to Alex Roman's Bit to the Lens, I guess this will be awesome Christmass for all.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2013-11-06, 18:16:23
Reply #109

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
We've came back from NYC to find really moody autumn weather and I decided to revisit shortly this project to to re-render some images for publishing (mimicking the mood outside ) because I haven't felt satisfied with the rush in which I had to develop it month ago. We have very fond relationship to this project since we could develop the whole architecture, styling inside and all around. I will finally publish it very soon

This time, I decided to do full PT+PT (32), I expected it to be bit slower, but actually isn't, it's almost pretty fast for my standards :- ) Its 4k and after 4 hours, it was very clear, with exception for patches of very specular materials like metals in dark and some details. I left it nonetheless much longer, because I sleep a lot..

Notice the strange behaviour of vertical lines behind the glass ? that glass is regular thick glass, and I think the hybrid doesn't do it. There is no bump at all. No sure if error or feature..

On other hand, I am very satisfied with Rawalanche's sugestion to use 1.333 filter instead of 1.5. Slightly sharper. Haven't experienced much with no filter yer.
Tried changing internal resolution from 2 to 4, but didn't notice any change at all.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2013-11-06, 18:19:05
Reply #110

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Nice composition but mmm, its too blue-ish and plastic. Just my feelings. Maybe you can try another HDR and softer filter ? Those interiors you poste here before were FAR better imo.
Just my opinion.
Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha

2013-11-06, 18:22:17
Reply #111

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Nice composition but mmm, its too blue-ish and plastic. Just my feelings. Maybe you can try another HDR and softer filter ? Those interiors you poste here before were FAR better imo.
Just my opinion.

Do you find the softer filter more plausible ? Hmm, tough choice.

It is blue :- ) But more of intention, I tried neutral and warm tones too, but I actually like this one. But I am interested in the plastic, so you can describe that more if you want

2013-11-06, 18:26:39
Reply #112

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
do you mean the black lines behind the multiple glass panels in the right? I saw some other similar bugreport, but was never able to reproduce. If you could report it as bug with a simplified scene (just the glass + pillar geometry), it would be appreciated.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-11-06, 18:29:00
Reply #113

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
do you mean the black lines behind the multiple glass panels in the right? I saw some other similar bugreport, but was never able to reproduce. If you could report it as bug with a simplified scene (just the glass + pillar geometry), it would be appreciated.

I've seen it someone report it as well, don't remember the picture though. I will try.

2013-11-06, 18:35:17
Reply #114

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Yes i prefer softer filters. Its my personal choice and im not talking about extreme soft filter of course.

And image looks plastic (in my eyes) but you like it and its most important, but i think you have far better images in this thread.
Sofa have too much faloff, bump on window frames looks weird and whole GI is flat. Maybe too much exposure, dunno. Its quite hard to comment images like this becase all its about our own taste. Im not hating this image, just trying to express my feelings. Thats all.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-06, 18:38:39 by michaltimko »
Coronaut!(c)2011

2013-11-06, 18:41:30
Reply #115

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yes i prefer softer filters. Its my personal choice and im not talking about extreme soft filter of course.

And image looks plastic (in my eyes) but you like it and its most important, but i think you have far better images in this thread.
Sofa have too much faloff, bump on window frames looks weird and whole GI is flat. Maybe too much exposure, dunno. Its quite hard to comment images like this becase all its about our own taste. Im not hating this image, just express my feelings. Thats all.

I will try back the soft filter than, maybe again the 1.5 and 4 internal. Maybe at 4k res I don't require such sharpness. Can't make my head about this.

I agree with sofa, but maybe I even took it too far in post using local contrast. But I will tone it down in Max as well. It's tough balance, once I don't see the effect, I tend to slightly overdo it instead. Pendulum.

The windows frame I would defend instead, there is no bumb, I rarely use bumb at all, only on fabrics. Even the specular maps are toned down with colors, (it's 0.7 reflex, 0.3 for gloss). It's supposed to be brushed eloxed metal, not black paint. Maybe I should go even subtler ? I though this is subtle :- D But I have tendency to overdo things.

Flat GI has more to do with this perspective, it is all-around surrounded by glass and this HDRi does not have any light direction, it's pure overcast. But it's more flat than I wanted for my taste too. Will rethink the strategy further.

While lot is down to personal taste, I think purely personal opinion has same value as objective measure. Both provoke to further rethink.

Lol, no need to apologise for expressing opinion (I would never apologise for anything like that, bit problematic).

2013-11-06, 21:12:42
Reply #116

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Jagged lines behind glass - isn't this related to internal resolution @ 4? I remember having some issues with internal resolution higher than 2. Can you set internal res to 2 and region-render that strange lines?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2013-11-06, 21:13:58
Reply #117

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Jagged lines behind glass - isn't this related to internal resolution @ 4? I remember having some issues with internal resolution higher than 2. Can you set internal res to 2 and region-render that strange lines?

Internal res should help i think. Its like rendering double size and then downsizing it back.
Coronaut!(c)2011

2013-11-06, 21:26:47
Reply #118

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
it should have no effect. Anyone with strange aliasing behing glass, please report it as a bug, and provide the scene.

2013-11-06, 21:28:26
Reply #119

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
it should have no effect. Anyone with strange aliasing behing glass, please report it as a bug, and provide the scene.

Are you sure ? I`ll test it in free time anyway.
Coronaut!(c)2011