Author Topic: Tips for Dispersion Rendering  (Read 2628 times)

2021-03-04, 10:54:40

moleytron

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Folks

Hope I've posted this in the right place. Apologies if not.

So I am rendering a fractured box to get some nice prism effects. I have the image looking pretty good. It's a really simple scene just some fractured geometry and two rectangular lights, a glass material with a low dispersion abbe number.

My question relates to GI and Performance render settings. I know Corona default settings work great out of the box for most scenes, but my suspicion is that this is a scene that might benefit in render time by tweaking some settings.

Specifically do you think I should set secondary solver to UHD, Path Tracing or 4K cache?
Should I be tweaking GI vs AA or Max samples.

As this is an abstract motion graphic I'm not interested in physical accuracy, I'd just like to get something like my screenshot that cleans up in a reasonable time.

Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated

Moley

2021-03-04, 11:42:58
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'm not an expert, but from all those settings i would probably try to lower GIvsAA value to 8, or 4. I would leave other settings at default, as it's not worth tinkering them for such scene - if it's not animation, then you would loose more time by trying to find optimal settings, than by simply letting rendering it with defaults.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-03-04, 12:11:36
Reply #2

moleytron

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Romulus

Thank you so much for responding. I will try that out and report back.
I appreciate you sharing.

Moleyton

2021-03-04, 12:24:06
Reply #3

moleytron

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So I got a small bump in speed by lowering the GI vs AA.

Thanks!

2021-03-04, 14:37:46
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You're welcome!
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-03-05, 17:33:14
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
If you are willing to sacrifice some realism to get faster rendering, I would actually advise:
- increasing GI vs AA - this will give you better reflection/refraction quality per pass (but each pass will be slower to render) - you can do a few tests in low resolution rendering to the same time limit with various GI vs AA numbers ranging from 4 to 64 (4, 8, 16, 32, 64)
- lowering light samples multiplier to 1 - you don't have any area shadows here (most likely) and this may give you a little speedup
- lowering Max Sample Intensity as much as possible (5-10, but maybe even 1 would work?)
- then going to the System tab and setting Highlight clamping as low as possible - you can run IR and start with something like 1. Then move it up or down and observe the effect. At some point the differences between the default value of 0 and the new value X should be barely visible and this is your sweet spot where you get faster rendering, less noise, and just a little bit darker highlights. Of course this clamps the sample intensity so you won't be able to do "proper" post-processing.
More info: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000006462-what-is-highlight-clamping-

Other than that, enable denoising (I would bet on the Intel AI denoiser).

Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us