Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] General Discussion

IOR guide

<< < (2/2)

maru:
0 - empty glass, whole object has a material with IOR value = 1,55
1 - glass with detached, capped polygons inside, the inside object has an IOR value of 1,33
2 - glass with detached, capped polygons inside, the inside object has two materials: IOR 1,33 for top, IOR of 1,16 for sides
3 - full glass geometry with an additional water object inside (overlapping faces)
4 - full glass geometry with an additional water object inside. The water object is a bit smaller than the inner part of the glass which creates a tiny distance between the two surfaces (used Push modifier).

+reference photos

Conclusion: version 1 is the most realistic and physically correct. I should always listen to Keymaster and stop being an asshole. Corona is awesome.

But really, I remember doing something like this in some other renderer and it was necessary to make a surface with IOR 1,16 and flip normals. I'm glad this works fine in Corona.

Ondra:

--- Quote from: maru on 2012-12-18, 14:35:19 ---In current version of Corona, is there any difference between flipped and not flipped normals?

--- End quote ---
There is not, but maybe I'll add it sometimes (optional), because it is crucial for bidirectional path tracing

Realish:
Keymaster
How about a new material for the boundary of two other transparent materials that uses the normal direction?
I was thinking it could work like so
The material could be a node where the two inputs would be the part in the [].
Front of Normal  [Orange Juice] - -  [Glass] Back of Normal

tomasd:
If people are willing to model stuff like that, i.e., actually have a single polygon interface and specify what material is on each side of it, it would be the bestest way for all kinds of physically accurate renderers.

Ondra:

--- Quote from: Realish on 2012-12-18, 23:03:40 ---Keymaster
How about a new material for the boundary of two other transparent materials that uses the normal direction?
I was thinking it could work like so
The material could be a node where the two inputs would be the part in the [].
Front of Normal  [Orange Juice] - -  [Glass] Back of Normal

--- End quote ---
I can do that, but my understanding is, that nobody aint got no time for this

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version