Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] Resolved Bugs

Triplanar- and displacement mapping inconsistency

(1/5) > >>

matsu:
I was setting up a brick material using triplanar mapping in the texture slots, and noticed something funny. (Not funny, really.)

Displacement is calculated first, then the other mapping is applied to the displaced geometry, resulting in mapping mismatch.

Attaching images. First with triplanar, and then without (using ordinary UVW mapping).

maru:
This seems very very logical to me. But let's see what the dev team has to say.

PROH:
hmm... logical or not, it isn't very useful.

BTW this isn't the only situation where displacement f*cks up UVW. When using different mat ID's in a Corona multimap the UVW is distroyed too. And when using displacement in a multimaterial shit happens too :(

I really hope displacement will have a major update in next release.

maru:
Imagine you are texturing some kind of terrain. You apply displacement like noise or some kind of fractal, and then texture it using triplanar. It makes sense to displace first, and then texture.

Also, if the texturing was done first, and then displacement, then you could easily end up with stretched textures - which triplanar is supposed to prevent.

Last point - it does not make much sense to talk about UVWs with triplanar, as triplanar is designed to make UVWs obsolete. :)

PROH:
Get your points. But that means that displacement won't work with triplanar map, and that displacement should be avoided with "normal" UVW mapping, since this will give you "stretched textures".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version