Author Topic: CPU-fans for ASUS Z9PA-D8  (Read 9717 times)

2016-06-09, 19:54:39

mraw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys,
I bought 2 of those 2670 xeons to grab the opportunity to replace my old AMD-Thuban render(node)-heating.
So I would be happy if I could scavenge at least some parts from that old thing.
I got an http://noctua.at/en/nh-u12p-se2.html fan. I don't know how to find out if a second noctua would fit next to it.
I'm going to purchase the ASUS Z9PA-D8 board.
If it's not going to fit- what do you recommend? Find something with a decent noise level that would fit next to it?
Or go for a pair of Noctua NH-D9DX i4 3U like Jens did.
thanks a million

2016-06-10, 11:20:42
Reply #1

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have the same dilemma. I have already bought that Mobo and currently my CPUs are lost in the local delivery system having come all the way from America! But Im not sure on what case/fan combo. I think I might go for the coolers Jens went for and a fractal S. The annoying thing about this mobo is how close the CPU sockets are and also where the power connectors are for top venting as I was thinking about a couple of corsair H55s out the top but the PSU connectors are right at the top of the mobo and will obstruct the fans somewhat. I dont think you could go any bigger than the Noctuas Jens bought and the seem better than going back to back on them.

2016-06-10, 12:02:32
Reply #2

mraw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I see. Probably I will go with Jens solution as well. One question regarding the case. Actually I was thinking to reuse the old case. It's a normal sized sharkoon something I'm definitely not proud of., but it would save me a few bucks for the case.
But I recognized everybody here is going for the big cases. Is this only because of air-flow and noise? Or is it related to the mainboards as well?

« Last Edit: 2016-06-10, 12:27:05 by Juraj_Talcik »

2016-06-10, 12:27:30
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Big Towers always support E-ATX boards, while Mid Towers often not.

But you went with ATX sized board, so it should fit into any normal tower just fine.

(I accidentally clicked edit on your post instead of quote, I can never get used to these moderators interface....sorry)
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-06-10, 15:52:26
Reply #5

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes I've seen that build. Its a weird one in terms of my understanding of airflow - looks like they blow into each other. He has a bit of a cube case so perhaps its easy for cool air to be pulled in from both sides but normally wouldnt you have an exhaust fan that backs on to the rear cooler creating some sort of vacuum in this case?

EDIT: Actually looks like a decent case if you can afford the wide footprint. I might get that instead of the fractal as I have a spare 200mm fan that can be used to exhaust out the top. Those coolers look a bit more manageable than the noctuas for fitting.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-10, 16:38:23 by Rhodesy »

2016-06-10, 17:15:10
Reply #6

Fugo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes I've seen that build. Its a weird one in terms of my understanding of airflow - looks like they blow into each other.

In a tower case, u have to flip one of the Arctic Freezer fans, so you have a airflow from the front case-fan to the rear case-fan.
I dont know the cube cases.

2016-06-13, 14:07:30
Reply #7

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Does that not create problems with the second cooler sucking in the hot air of the first cooler? Or with these lower clocked Xeons is it less of a problem under load in terms of cooling them right down?

2016-06-13, 14:43:42
Reply #8

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Does that not create problems with the second cooler sucking in the hot air of the first cooler? Or with these lower clocked Xeons is it less of a problem under load in terms of cooling them right down?
In general you will be surprised how this barely matters.
Even with high clocked ones, the Air barely heats up if it doesn't stay in the same spot.
Worst cause scenario you get a 5°C jump. Usually ~2°C
Even with the very good Area created by the fins, the CFM of the cooler and in general the volumes of air being moved, barely feel the impact of ~140W TDP spread across it.

Also, Xeons are very smart at how they manage heat, so this really shouldn't be a problem, even if it would result in an increase.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2016-06-13, 15:04:45
Reply #9

Jann

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes I've seen that build. Its a weird one in terms of my understanding of airflow - looks like they blow into each other. He has a bit of a cube case so perhaps its easy for cool air to be pulled in from both sides but normally wouldnt you have an exhaust fan that backs on to the rear cooler creating some sort of vacuum in this case?

EDIT: Actually looks like a decent case if you can afford the wide footprint. I might get that instead of the fractal as I have a spare 200mm fan that can be used to exhaust out the top. Those coolers look a bit more manageable than the noctuas for fitting.
You can clearly see that despite the fan positioning they both are directioned towards the end of the case. So no problems with airflow ;)

2016-06-13, 16:24:01
Reply #10

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Also, Xeons are very smart at how they manage heat

well... that means "slower rendering when CPU starts overheating", which is something you really do not want ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-06-13, 16:41:04
Reply #11

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
What heat management :- ) ?

A 135W E5 Xeon and 135W i7 from same generation ( Sandy-E, Ivy-E, Haswell-E, Broadwell-E,etc..) should have near identical heat output, they're often (at least in case of single-socket versions) from the very same wafer,
which is why some models, are actually the same cpu just re-branded and with unlocked VT-d. ( i7 5930k=E5-1650 v3  / 5960X=Xeon E5-1660 v3). I don't think they throttle any differently either, both just under-clock or shutdown in emergency.

2670v1 are just 115W and have rather minimal heat output, which is why nearly anything cools them.

Airflow out of the CPU coolers isn't as important as inhaling enough cool Air into the case.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2016-06-14, 16:13:07
Reply #12

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
... from the very same wafer ...

They are using the same design/masks, but I guess you'd have to be very lucky to find two CPUs that actually came from the same wafer.

(Sorry, I currently have my nitpicking superpower activated :))

2016-06-14, 16:23:54
Reply #13

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
:- )