Author Topic: Spyder 5  (Read 3346 times)

2016-04-28, 09:25:50

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, anyone has experiences with the spyder calibration HW?

I want to buy spyder 5 but don't know if I should take the version which allows for studio matching. Or if I'm good with express.

Is it important to have monitors matching? I don't have them matching now and only one I use for photo and final renderings is calibrated.

Also, does someone know if colormunki is a good alternative? I didn't like their website (yes I'm a bit shallow) and it actually redirected me to a reseller which had large spyder 5 banner on their web :D sooo... I have no idea.

Thanks for any help/advice.

2016-04-28, 12:43:24
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I used i1Display Pro mostly because that is what Dell (and other hardware calibratable models from brands like NEC,Eizo) requires for their high-end models, so this is 3rd option, and arguably, publicly best regarded. It's cheaper than Spyder5Elite,
and most useful for future use in case you ever upgrade to new high-end display.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-04-28, 13:10:19
Reply #2

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I used i1Display Pro mostly because that is what Dell (and other hardware calibratable models from brands like NEC,Eizo) requires for their high-end models, so this is 3rd option, and arguably, publicly best regarded. It's cheaper than Spyder5Elite,
and most useful for future use in case you ever upgrade to new high-end display.

Wow, i kinda took it for granted that all colorimeters are capable of hw calibration. Guess I'll have to spend more time on this. Thanks for the tip.

2016-04-28, 13:12:44
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
They might be on technical level, but lot of these brands kind of make it a "closed" system. Then you just have to use what they decided.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-04-28, 13:24:13
Reply #4

Jann

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Recently got myself a X-rite ColorMunki Display. From researching differences vs the Spyder 5 Pro, seems that the Spyder is faster, but more of a closed platform. X-Rite devices are better supported by third party and open source software (though I haven't tried any yet).
As for my experience, worked fine on all 8 monitors I've calibrated so far. A 40inch 4k monitor with a VA panel did act weird at first, but seemed much better color wise after (comparing to an ips Dell next to it), so I don't think it was the calibrators fault. That's my experience so far.