Author Topic: Corona animation Back Burner  (Read 3286 times)

2017-09-12, 12:47:05

grafichissimo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • METROVISUAL
Hi guys, here is my question.
I am going to render an animation, it was great to see that the render time was about 3 min per frame (PT+UHD), but then I realised that using back burner was producing flickering.
In order to use BB I try to use PT+PT rather that choosing Distribute render because is not really the best way to cut time for an animation.
But PT+PT In this case it take too long too clean the images.
So I tried to find a way to precalculate the UHD in order to avoid the flickering.
Now, if I set under the corona render setup window the active time segment (1400 Frames ) plus every 5 frames and under UHD cache setting Animation(flicker-free) and calculate from scratch plus save to file.
Corona is overwriting the same file again and again.
What's wrong with my settings?
I did search for some explanation but I haven't found anything.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 2017-09-12, 13:08:27 by grafichissimo »
Davide Chicco - www.metrovisual.co.uk

2017-09-12, 13:23:27
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Some thoughts:

- Using Backburner shouldn't produce different results than rendering locally

- You didn't mention if you set the Animation (flicker free) value in your first rendering (it was only mentioned when you had changed to saving the UHD Cache, but it should be enabled whenever you are doing an animation whether saving the UHD Cache or not), so perhaps just using that would remove the flicker. Saving the UHD cache is mostly about reducing the time needed to calculate it for every frame rather than about removing flickering - the animation flicker free should take care of it whether the Cache was saved or not.

- There is only ever one UHD Cache if you choose to save it. If you use "Calculate from scratch" it will indeed overwrite it each time. Generally for a fly through, you would calculate it once and save it, then use the saved version for the animation; or you could use "Try to load and append" using the skipped frames, which will still save to one cache but will accumulate data from different places in the animation.

- The YouTube on saving the Cache is at

- Are you sure the flickering is related to the Cache / lighting and not some other cause?

Hope something here helps!
   Tom
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2017-09-12, 14:06:23
Reply #2

grafichissimo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • METROVISUAL
Thanks for your help.

First time I used standard animation settings, UHD flickering free, precision=1 and I notice an evident flickering, I supposed because different machine is taking different frames so there is not consistency in the calculation of the GI.
I am not using Distribuite render but I am assigning every frame to different machine.
I will post a quick test soon.

2017-09-12, 16:21:12
Reply #3

grafichissimo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • METROVISUAL
This is the problem.You can see the flickering.

2017-09-12, 18:39:13
Reply #4

grafichissimo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • METROVISUAL
OK basically I can not go under 4 min per frame using DR, since the other PC in the network are not sending any passes before my machine reach the noise value I have defined (4%)
I have 7 machines plus mine.
Average render time is 4-5 min per machine, so this does mean that if I was able to send every frame to any other machine using BB I would have 7 frames rendered every 4/5 min.
At the moment I have got just 1 every 4Min.

Is there anyone able to find a solution for what I am trying to achieve?

2017-09-12, 18:53:24
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
For animation, DR is not the way to go - Backburner is the approach for that, as it will allocate a different frame to each machine, so that you are in effect working on x number of frames at once (where x is the number of machines you have rendering). Each machine will render one frame all by itself (and all machines can be a different speed, that's not a problem).

I don't have more info on the flickering at the moment, seems unusual to me as nothing is actually animated there. I've not had any trouble with Backburner and different machines causing flickering, so long as I had the Flicker Free enabled. We'll see if anyone else has more on the flickering issue.

Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2017-09-12, 19:05:22
Reply #6

grafichissimo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • METROVISUAL
Maybe I have done something wrong, I am resetting everything and I am re rendering over night. I'll update you tomorrow.

Cheery bye!

2017-09-13, 10:23:26
Reply #7

grafichissimo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • METROVISUAL
Morning guys, I have realised that there is a problem with some geometry/light.
As You can see there is a light flickering in the boot, I don't know if this is because I'm using a IES profile or there is some geometry related problem.
I'll check it.

bye.