Author Topic: Internal resolution question  (Read 4515 times)

2015-10-20, 00:02:58

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Does internal resolution smooth the image even if highlight compression is set to 1= linear ?

I have some mental echo it downsampled from tone-mapped result, but maybe I confused that with something else ?
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-10-20, 09:44:56
Reply #1

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
This is not a definite answer at all but it should right? You are effectively increasing the resolution with which the render engine calculates the image (more pixels, more precision).

Going by the helpdesk I also get the feeling it should help (even if linear, the data is still there right?). I always imagined it as downsampling a super big render without having to deal with enormous file sizes as everything gets processed internally rather then externally...

That's my guess anyway, anyone else? :D
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2015-10-20, 11:12:35
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I don't think highlight compression should matter here, but let's wait for Ondrej's scientific explanation. ;)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-10-20, 11:41:40
Reply #3

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Does internal resolution smooth the image even if highlight compression is set to 1= linear ?
Judging on how other renderers don't antialias nicely on hot pixels and how Corona does I'd say it will smooth the result regardless of the hl compression.

2015-10-20, 14:38:50
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
based on 3dsmax settings, the gamma correction could still happen before. And that one compresses highlights pretty well
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-10-20, 14:48:31
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Well, I didn't quite get that. My 3dsMax settings are standard, as I supposed the same as everyone else, set in gamma 2.2 for all input maps. Corona by default also works and show the result in this space.
So is that enough to get benefit from framebuffer downsampling ?

Also, what is the average performance overhead for this ? Does it affect render times ? I once again barely remember it had mostly to do with memory consumption.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2015-10-20, 15:28:10
Reply #6

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
ok I verified the code and there should be no change between internal res 1 and 2 when no non-linear parameters are used except for gamma 2.2
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-10-20, 15:43:13
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
ok I verified the code and there should be no change between internal res 1 and 2 when no non-linear parameters are used except for gamma 2.2

You confuse me again :- D

No change means it works the same, or doesn't do anything to image ?

2015-10-21, 11:35:39
Reply #8

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
that you will get exactly the same image for the same time when using multiplier 1 and 2, provided you do not touch highlight compression/contrast

2015-10-21, 11:43:17
Reply #9

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
that you will get exactly the same image for the same time when using multiplier 1 and 2, provided you do not touch highlight compression/contrast

Awesome! I feel dumb for asking this, but what about using 3+ multiplier values for internal res., does that changes things?

2015-10-21, 11:43:51
Reply #10

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Thanks, so I thought correctly :- )

2015-10-21, 13:56:03
Reply #11

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
3+ is still the same, only uses way more memory

2015-10-22, 19:56:33
Reply #12

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
3+ is still the same, only uses way more memory

Thank you Ondra :)