Author Topic: Polarization [filters]  (Read 3939 times)

2014-02-19, 21:55:54

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I always kind of wondered, if this effect was simulated in-render by any renderer. Wasn't really able to search out anything on it.
Some of the effects of polarizing filter in photography can be of course achieved, atleast on surface visually, in post-production, but not all of it,
is it affects reflections quite a lot.

Seems there is very little interest on it, not sure what I am missing. Seems to be imho great contributor in pleasing photorealism.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-02-20, 02:51:59
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
we (at school) have renderers that do polarizaton. I think I saw somewhere that maxwell does it. Of course what is actually done is gross simplification of the reality. Corona does not support it.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-02-20, 10:40:09
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
From what I see using a polarization filter works close to lowering material's fresnel reflection IOR. Maybe it could be faked? "Global fresnel IOR multiplier"? :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2014-02-20, 11:01:11
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
From what I see using a polarization filter works close to lowering material's fresnel reflection IOR. Maybe it could be faked? "Global fresnel IOR multiplier"? :)
Nope. Polarization filters work very differently
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-02-20, 12:09:05
Reply #4

Utroll

• Active Users
    • View Profile
and metal does not affect reflected light, so they should be excluded from any global multiplier. Honnestly, I bought one for my camera years ago, I used it may be 10 times... I'm not convinced it's a prioritary feature nowadays :D

It was done in 1987 already though http://kurlander.net/DJ/Projects/Polar/resources.html
And at page 51 from his publication you can read that on average it doubled the calculation time ~vade retro~
« Last Edit: 2014-02-20, 12:15:32 by Utroll »

2014-02-20, 13:09:01
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Definitely not some priority. Doesn't fit newly bought Nikon 14-24mm/2.8G ED lens either :- ) But I personally was always fan of the effect in certain situations and wasn't aware how this translates to CGI. I was just buffled than no one ever mentioned it.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-02-20, 14:53:05
Reply #6

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
This lense¿¿¿ Nikon AF-S Zoom Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF Lens?
Wow! what camera are you using with it?