Author Topic: Middle of nowhere  (Read 4232 times)

2018-04-04, 13:49:41

jellyjuice

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
This is our latest exterior CGIs. We wanted to explore fog/landscape /CoronaScatter/Water and several different shaders. Let us know how to improve these images.

JJ

The updated set of images (thanks to Juraj Talcik for the feedback)

Old set of images:

www.jellyjuicelondon.com
« Last Edit: 2018-04-06, 12:17:17 by jellyjuice »

2018-04-04, 15:45:35
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
There is some odd size issue, but maybe that's intentional :- ) The house looks roughly twice smaller (or more) than it should be in scale to natural assets.

Outside of that the scene is quite intriguing and the first two images have very moody light and atmosphere.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-04-04, 16:38:34
Reply #2

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I agree, it's quite visible in the last image where the trees seem way oversized... but honestly, I even like it that way, the last image is spectacular imo!

2018-04-04, 21:04:06
Reply #3

jellyjuice

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Juraj Talcik and pokoy

Thanks for analysing our images - I found your comments quite interesting and have decided to give you a bit of background.

The concept here is to try to portrait a very tiny hut in the woods, in the middle of nowhere. I wanted to make the house look almost like a doll's house or a shed... somewhere you use to spend the day and have a bit of time for yourself, away from everything. It is more like a place to camp and not to live in.
On my first drafts, I have made the trees much smaller (see attached), but it didn't give me the dramatic effect I was looking for, so I took creative license to make them much taller.

When I was building this scene, I took inspiration in the mood-board attached.

Let me know your thoughts :)

JJ

2018-04-04, 21:21:20
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I see :- )

But here is how I believe that effect would be achieved more convincingly. It's size vs scale. By scaling the tree larger, it looks wrong, because suddenly its features don't appear properly sized. I.e, an 8m tall tree can't be scaled 300perc. to 24m tall tree.
Instead, you need to use 24m big tree which will have a lot more branches and the leaves and fir will stay correct size. Right now the features of the fir tree looks gigantic :- )

Such rule doesn't apply if the look would be more fairy tale. But the house has realistic proportions and detailing, so it's obvious it is real house for real people and thus the photorealistic, but incorrectly scaled tree provide wrong impression.

You would need to use this size of model:

Don't mind my feedback, the scene would be absolutely killer with proper trees. Everything else is excellent.
« Last Edit: 2018-04-04, 21:39:50 by Juraj Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2018-04-06, 12:18:36
Reply #5

jellyjuice

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I see :- )

But here is how I believe that effect would be achieved more convincingly. It's size vs scale. By scaling the tree larger, it looks wrong, because suddenly its features don't appear properly sized. I.e, an 8m tall tree can't be scaled 300perc. to 24m tall tree.
Instead, you need to use 24m big tree which will have a lot more branches and the leaves and fir will stay correct size. Right now the features of the fir tree looks gigantic :- )

Such rule doesn't apply if the look would be more fairy tale. But the house has realistic proportions and detailing, so it's obvious it is real house for real people and thus the photorealistic, but incorrectly scaled tree provide wrong impression.

You would need to use this size of model:

Don't mind my feedback, the scene would be absolutely killer with proper trees. Everything else is excellent.

Thanks for the feedback... it was very helpful! I have updated the first post with the new images... let me know your thoughts.

JJ

2018-04-06, 12:38:56
Reply #6

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Absolutely gorgeous, love all of them, correctly scaled or not - fantastic stuff, Sir.

2018-04-06, 14:33:10
Reply #7

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hmm... even if scale of first version was completely off, i prefer mood, that those giant trees are creating. Nevertheless, i like such imagery very much. Would love to see more of these and less of scandinavian interiors please :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-04-09, 11:57:01
Reply #8

jellyjuice

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hmm... even if scale of first version was completely off, i prefer mood, that those giant trees are creating. Nevertheless, i like such imagery very much. Would love to see more of these and less of scandinavian interiors please :]

Thank you Romullus!
I know... I really like the dramatic feeling the giant trees were creating. I guess I'll have to create a "miniature world" scene to try and bring that mood back :)

2018-04-09, 13:40:24
Reply #9

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I liked the mood much better too, my qualm was about the scale of branches, not their size. I would keep the same tree, just much older specimen.

2Romullus: I think you make this remark a bit too often lately. People are free to post whatever they want, you are free to ignore it. Google and ArtStation still exist.

2018-04-09, 14:30:07
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hmm, i think i said it for the second or the third time at most. I hope that didn't hurt the feelings of those, who regularly post scandinavian interiors. I apologize if it did. And of course everyone are free to ignore my comments :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures