Author Topic: Classical apartment product showcase  (Read 16176 times)

2018-04-03, 20:05:54

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Howdy :- ). Haven't posted any work for almost a year. We have done in fact, many in meantime, but the most interesting ones are under NDA and other, bit bland ;- ).
But I am very proud of this one. Small in scope and done for nice architectural duo AlexAllen, we were commissioned by them to create classsical apartment and render their beautiful Lightnings and design products.

I am hotlinking these images from Behance, I wonder if that will prove problematic but it's such a pain to upload to Corona otherwise.

Much better to just watch it there directly ;- ) http://bit.ly/alexallen

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-04-03, 22:29:42
Reply #1

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Breathtaking.....

Lighting is so nice as always.

Do you want to explain hoe you achieved it?

Thanks.

2018-04-04, 09:33:30
Reply #2

mase

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nothing much to say except magnificent as always, Juraj. Your work always inspires me create as well as step up my 3D game, hehe.

As always we will all want to see the breakdown of these images but I'm particularly interested in seeing raw renders. Any chance we can get a glimpse in any of these beauties before entering post? :)

2018-04-04, 09:44:30
Reply #3

NicolasC

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • CG supervisor / teacher / artist
    • View Profile
Beautiful, indeed !
It would be great to have some breakdown ;)

Keep up the great work !
Nicolas Caplat
CG supervisor / teacher / artist

2018-04-04, 11:37:47
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Thank you guys.

You might be bit disappointed on seeing the raw renders for these :- ). There is very much not much going on..
It's very much just a curve in framebuffer, lot of contrast, and some tiny selective bits in CameraRaw (to give the background little bit of color tint because I wasn't using rendered fog). (I don't know why, I am still afraid of using it).

The light is little bit more interesting, and I would suggest my cgarchitect article for it :- ).
Particularly, I did use an HDRi this time. Which one I based it on is very unimportant because I modified about it anything I could, and made about 20 versions. Almost made a flexible HDRi shader, that behaves like Sun/Sky system :- ). I will write on that one soon enough.
The more important thing was I wanted lighting that was half between interesting/dramatic and mellow. Too interesting would take away attention from the products, too mellow/diffuse would make big white space like this look too flat.
So I made one that is half-between overcast sky and sunny/overcast, when the sun hides behind the clouds, and become both bigger (casting softer shadows) and neutralized (the clouds make the sun color much colder), lessening the contrast between direct and indirect light.
In the end, I modified how long I want those shadows to be, stretching reality tiny bit but without going overboard, so it would still behave like natural Sky light.

I used only single light source for every of the images except for Bedroom, where I placed one more spotlight aimed at the table/stool. The spotlight is directional and sort of extends the Skylight further.
It's there I realized how much I still have to learn about using these sort of "Set lights" because I had quite some trouble blending it in. This might be a science of its own.

Otherwise, just few classic tricks like placing blocking black walls if I wanted to taper the light and emphasise the direction.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2018-04-04, 12:31:32
Reply #5

mase

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The light is little bit more interesting, and I would suggest my cgarchitect article for it :- ).

Is it the one called 'Finding your look'? If so it was an interesting read and I definitely agree with you that in archviz the light requires way more conceptual thinking rather than the technical one.

Otherwise, just few classic tricks like placing blocking black walls if I wanted to taper the light and emphasise the direction.

This in itself is a discovery to me. So simple yet so effective.

2018-04-04, 12:44:40
Reply #6

ts_berlin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Juraj,
a Tutorial would be nice....

Thx Thomas

2018-04-04, 13:10:41
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

This in itself is a discovery to me. So simple yet so effective.

Indeed :- ) The simplest measures are often the best. But it requires great deal of experience, imagination and... try&tweaks to apply.

There is lot of resources in photography world how to modulate light. It's harder to find how they do it in architectural work, because that's very small niche. Some exception to this is american real-estate photography but I am not big fan of that style ("just point flashlight everywhere so there is no shadows at all").
But the people who shoot catalogues for Poliform,etc.. those keep their secrets rather well.

But the techniques are quite universal and what applies to portraits, does sort of apply to furniture too :- ). So we can extrapolate from that.
I actually regret a lot not spending my early time in 3D building this sort of foundation, how to use spotlights, softboxes, bounce cards etc. So for me, it's slow rediscovery too.

But the block/bounce cards/walls is very effective thing. It's subtle..but has a lot of depth, it can't be simulated in post-production because it just affects everything, including reflection.

In this series, I used it in mainly in the kitchens, behind a camera. I needed a broad light to illuminate the middle of the room, where the island lies, but this washed away the flooring and we never want the front part of image to be the brightest when our focus point was in the middle.

So I would find the best angle, one that gives me nicest broad illumination, but also interesting shadows on volumes and lastly, revealing texture. And then I would slightly tweak and modulate the light with external factors like the block/bounce cards.Or a tree outside :- ) Anything works. It's very iterative work.

Hi Juraj,
a Tutorial would be nice....

Thx Thomas

I think the floor might be fun to show :- ).

2018-04-04, 13:44:12
Reply #8

jellyjuice

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Really nice images love the lighting!

2018-04-04, 13:53:56
Reply #9

-Ben-Battler-

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As said above, really stunning imagery! Congrats to this achievement!

I actually regret a lot not spending my early time in 3D building this sort of foundation, how to use spotlights, softboxes, bounce cards etc. So for me, it's slow rediscovery too.

In case that you know of any literature/websites/tutorials that show some of those workflows I'd be interested to dig into that!
Visit boxel

2018-04-04, 15:04:11
Reply #10

bcgi

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Could you please explain that a little bit more maybe with a few rough examples? Are you using whole black wall pieces to block the light from a room to another or smaller pieces just to block some of the light or lets say multiple smaller pieces. I've heard about that method but I really would love to know how to use it and when.

Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: 2018-04-04, 15:09:48 by bcgi »

2018-04-04, 15:29:53
Reply #11

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Could you please explain that a little bit more maybe with a few rough examples? Are you using whole black wall pieces to block the light from a room to another or smaller pieces just to block some of the light or lets say multiple smaller pieces. I've heard about that method but I really would love to know how to use it and when.

Thank you in advance.

Have a look here, I posted example in my previous project thread. https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=17415.msg109258#msg109258
It can be of any size, position and angle. It is to simply stop the light from additional bounce, to preserve more direction to light giving more volumetric rendition of shapes or stronger shadows.

Or vice versa, bright wall/card to bounce additional light.

As said above, really stunning imagery! Congrats to this achievement!

In case that you know of any literature/websites/tutorials that show some of those workflows I'd be interested to dig into that!

Unfortunately I don't have any sources on hand or names that I would fully remember. From general art direction, there is a book about light and shading, that I somehow associate with Pixar.
There are few books concerning light and architecture.
And than there numerous sources from photography and cinematography, books, some master classes or even blogposts and youtube videos posted on Fstoppers.

I would gladly give you concrete names if I had any, but I am quite terrible with bookmarking. I need to make such source list for myself too.

2018-04-04, 16:06:35
Reply #12

Tanakov

• Active Users
  • Corona is faster than diarrhea
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/Gringott
I really like the lamp idea, what is the name of the company? I havent read all the post yet, so if this was asked please forgive me.

Nothing to say about the renders, its just your level. Good work mate.
Using Corona since 2014-01-02
https://www.behance.net/Gringott

2018-04-04, 16:28:03
Reply #13

bcgi

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Have a look here, I posted example in my previous project thread. https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=17415.msg109258#msg109258
It can be of any size, position and angle. It is to simply stop the light from additional bounce, to preserve more direction to light giving more volumetric rendition of shapes or stronger shadows.

Or vice versa, bright wall/card to bounce additional light.

Thank you.

I would gladly give you concrete names if I had any, but I am quite terrible with bookmarking. I need to make such source list for myself too.

You guys can try Mike Kelley's tutorials from F-stoppers. (He has 3 tutorials there)
https://fstoppers.com/product/mike-kelleys-where-art-meets-architecture-1

That what Juraj mentioned a couple of posts above.

2018-04-04, 16:35:00
Reply #14

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

You guys can try Mike Kelley's tutorials from F-stoppers. (He has 3 tutorials there)

Heh I actually watched the second part of this series.
I would definitely endorse it for learning something new... but this is the style I have issue with. It's the exception I mentioned :- )

Some exception to this is american real-estate photography but I am not big fan of that style ("just point flashlight everywhere so there is no shadows at all").

It is definitely useful to watch..but I wouldn't follow those principles. In my opinion, like 70perc. of the work he showcases, looks better before. The American style is simply unnatural. I understand that when you sell million dollar houses, you need to show the view and minimize the shadows..but they go extremely overboard. They leave zero shadows, everything is oversaturated and the view outside looks like painted on.

That tutorial has extremely high production quality though. It's how every tutorial should be. I just don't like the content :- )

2018-04-04, 18:16:39
Reply #15

Correntes

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • PRESSRENDER
Wonderful set.

Regarding the hdri workflow, would be simpler and more responsive just using the sun/sky system and tweak separately ?

2018-04-04, 18:40:26
Reply #16

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Regarding the hdri workflow, would be simpler and more responsive just using the sun/sky system and tweak separately ?

Yes, I think it's finally time for me to try using Sun/Sky..

2018-04-04, 21:32:35
Reply #17

claudyo

• Active Users
  • CGI artist / Interior Designer
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Quote from: Juraj Talcik
But the people who shoot catalogs for Poliform,etc.. those keep their secrets rather well.
That is true, I would kill for an internship with them.

Excellent job, nonetheless!!

2018-04-04, 21:37:13
Reply #18

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I would kill to just watch them for one job :- )

2018-04-04, 21:48:30
Reply #19

vicmds

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Floor texture is off the charts. Great work

Mike Kelley seems like he's a great professional, but some photographers have a completely different mindset than that of visualizers. A true 180 degrees.

I've seen an image where he literally excluded all pillars of a building, making it float 100%, just because otherwise the "image wouldn't convey what it's like to be there". And that's what I mean by completely different mindset.

Good material to watch, but be mindful of that.

2018-04-04, 21:52:35
Reply #20

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
"image wouldn't convey what it's like to be there"

That's something clients should sometimes be reminded about :- ). If I would get 5 cents for every completely unimportant detail outside of focus view..

/offtopic

2018-04-04, 23:17:38
Reply #21

aldola

• Active Users
    • View Profile
really nice juraj!  love that cloudy/sunny soft shadows congrats!

did you modified colors in post or just contrast curves?

i actually dont like mike kelley`s style its looks too artificial and saturated for my taste, besides that i think that the tutorials are nice to learn some new things.

Fernando Guerra said on an interview that he don't use any supplementary light at all, i would pay a lot to see him working hehe

2018-04-04, 23:35:27
Reply #22

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Just very subtle, a bit of dehazing and color tint to backgrounds.

I am not averse to heavier touch-up but here I conceded that would be just the right amount for now.
That still means I spent 2 hours deciding if I like +2 vibrance or +1 vibrance :- ).

I also do my post-production almost three times on each image. Each time I get little bit more brave until I finally decide to call it quits.

Would pay thousands to watch Fernando Guerra. Even wash and polish his 911s for days.

2018-04-05, 00:35:03
Reply #23

aldola

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Would pay thousands to watch Fernando Guerra. Even wash and polish his 911s for days.

Hahahaha thats a fair trade

2018-04-05, 08:28:47
Reply #24

BBB3viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Bravo Juraj. Fantastic set of images here. They’re also instantly recognizable as yours, which is a big compliment in my book.

Out of curiosity, where did you source (or how did you create) your parquet textures and your plants (apart from the basil of course)?

2018-04-05, 10:07:38
Reply #25

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Happy to hear that Bertrand :- ). Need to stress it's very much a team result. Outside of very strong Veronika's part, lot of the panelling was done by our talented modeler Kristina.

This was the base https://www.textures.com/download/woodfine0053/100289 To avoid some destructive changes necessary I upscaled it with letsenhance.com before continuing.

Then after I flattened it, removed shadows and reflections through various highpass techniques, I started to replace the individual planks with all the other collections I had on hand. Some were given to me by the Extreme texture guy but most were from Orangegraphics who shoot his parent's cottage :- ). I tried yours older collection, but these planks are bigger.
Because I didn't want to spend time making some procedural sort of technique through Railclone or something like that, I just made 3x3 tiled manually. Took about a day of work but at least was quite straightforward.

We have other much bigger project under NDA where this floor is used in different configuration (smaller pattern is only 750mm) and because that one tiles a lot more, it was projected onto modeled planks too. But those only served to provide render-time multi-texture variation (so main texture was split into albedo color being multimapped and highpass base).

The plants are tragic story hence why we put them faraway from camera. I believe all of these are from 3dSky and if possible, replaced with Megascan textures. But lately I find that despite Megascan having thousands of plant scans, they don't have these indoor type of plant leaves that would be most useful (Monstera,etc..). In that case I just modify the values (make dirty normal and displace too) and hide it behind subtle DOF...
Too little time to model these but that's definitely on table next.
« Last Edit: 2018-04-05, 10:20:11 by Juraj Talcik »

2018-04-05, 14:58:04
Reply #26

BBB3viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Juraj. Great insight there. I feel your pain on the plants. One of my many projects I'll never find the time to do is to scan popular houseplant leaves using the Dabarti tool. Although I must say I've seen some fine examples of the Monstera in various renders so assume it must exist somewhere.

2018-04-05, 17:16:21
Reply #27

Epilog studio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Epilog studio
Amazing Project, attention to details and balance of light/shadows are just perfect!

It's great to know that our textures were used for such an amazing project:)

2018-04-05, 20:11:49
Reply #28

Artisticpixel

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • artisticpixel
Lovely Work and great lighting and textures.

If I show one wrinkle in the bed linen my clients have a complete meltdown or god forbid I put DOF in the view and the fabrics they selected in the foreground have a slight blur to them. Head against brick wall sometimes. :)

2018-04-05, 20:28:21
Reply #29

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Amazing Project, attention to details and balance of light/shadows are just perfect!

It's great to know that our textures were used for such an amazing project:)

Your textures were invaluable :- ) Many thanks for such great set.

Lovely Work and great lighting and textures.

If I show one wrinkle in the bed linen my clients have a complete meltdown or god forbid I put DOF in the view and the fabrics they selected in the foreground have a slight blur to them. Head against brick wall sometimes. :)

Thank you :- ). Actually this is quite interesting thing, when Veronika made this bed first time about 5 years ago ( White Bedroom shows 2013 date ) there were some odd reactions here and there why waste time on it... and that wrinkled and messy will be avoided. Exactly opposite thing happened, clients after clients came to us with request to use that bed in their project.

But I've been told some anecdote recently by 3rd party about some client I've never heard thinking we would clash with their minimalist architect :- O. Which is super strange... if anyone comes to us wanting fully wrinkle-less flat bed like in Poliform catalogue, he will get exactly that. But surprisingly 90perc. of architects who come to us want fluffy and messy :- ).

DOF needs to be tactful. It's bit stronger in the bedroom but that image is just to show the feeling and the stool next to bed. If this was image showing the grandeur of the space, the DOF would be very minimal. And in the rest of the project, it is kept at bay.
But I make sure to always use tiny bit of natural DOF ( f11/f16 at 24mm lens camera for example) so that the scene gets that natural transition in the background. That kind of DOF is almost unnoticeable directly, but you can subconsciously feel it's there.

Maybe I should credit Bertrand for that last bit, because I remember, many years ago (5-6?) he wrote in one of his blogposts he never turns camera DOF off (that was VrayCamera). I did not follow this rule back then because I didn't use VrayCamera and DOF seemed very expensive for my computer. But years later when I picked photography I realized the importance of always having it there so I adopted the rule eventually. (but I hate how it doesn't play nicely in viewport with camera shift... ugh).
« Last Edit: 2018-04-05, 20:33:45 by Juraj Talcik »

2018-04-05, 23:11:46
Reply #30

Artisticpixel

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • artisticpixel
(but I hate how it doesn't play nicely in viewport with camera shift... ugh).

I am very glad to hear I am not the only one with the crazy viewport issue with DOF, feels like I am drunk while working with it switched on.

Unfortunately the high end Luxury Hotels want to see the room dressed as it would when you first walk in, so pretty much ironed sheets with absolutely nothing out of place. Personally I like the 'lived in' look but those are kept for personal work when I can find the time.

2018-04-06, 00:05:10
Reply #31

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
You can turn off the viewport preview with maxscript command, but then you loose the previews. But it stops the vertigo ;- ).

Perfectly ironed and styled bed might be as hard if not harder to do properly, esp. doing the perfect topsheet tuck-in. We might give that a try if opportunity presents.

2018-04-06, 01:09:30
Reply #32

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hi Juraj. Excellent work and thank you for sharing knowledge.

What do you mean by dehazing? Sounds interesting.

2018-04-06, 02:01:26
Reply #33

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Hi Juraj. Excellent work and thank you for sharing knowledge.

What do you mean by dehazing? Sounds interesting.

Heh, I mean that quite literally this time, CameraRaw has this parameter called "dehaze" which can reduce fog/haze/mist (or other low-contrast areas).. OR you can use negative value to introduce haze.
I selectively paint it over some areas if I feel "bloom/glare" didn't do sufficient job, or I wanted more localized effect.

I generally find Corona's bloom/glare rather weird but I also dislike using ArionFX (and saving linear files) so I simulate lot of effects by hand. Tiresome but at least I retain control over the look.

2018-04-06, 16:22:01
Reply #34

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Heh, I mean that quite literally this time, CameraRaw has this parameter called "dehaze" which can reduce fog/haze/mist (or other low-contrast areas).. OR you can use negative value to introduce haze.
I selectively paint it over some areas if I feel "bloom/glare" didn't do sufficient job, or I wanted more localized effect.

I generally find Corona's bloom/glare rather weird but I also dislike using ArionFX (and saving linear files) so I simulate lot of effects by hand. Tiresome but at least I retain control over the look.

Oh! Photoshop you mean.
That's so weird. So you use it mostly to increase contrast and also add haze on the exterior (?). Do you see a difference between that and just curves?.
I would've never thought of dehaze to deal with contrast on renderings. Great trick.

I'm not sure why you put in the same equation bloom and glare though. To me those just add an effect to "hot" areas...

2018-04-07, 01:03:25
Reply #35

Mr.Max

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Impressive work ..I'm  really in love with the lighting  here !
Also thanks for answering all the questions here  as always ,that's so generous of you to do so !
Aside question tho..I did few renders for lighting products and usually they ask for a night or at least dark mood render as addition  ..how did you go with the decision  to go with bright mood?
Simply, I love to put pixels together! Sounds easy right : ))
https://www.behance.net/NawrasRyhan

2018-04-08, 17:26:15
Reply #36

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Oh! Photoshop you mean.
That's so weird. So you use it mostly to increase contrast and also add haze on the exterior (?). Do you see a difference between that and just curves?.
I would've never thought of dehaze to deal with contrast on renderings. Great trick.

I'm not sure why you put in the same equation bloom and glare though. To me those just add an effect to "hot" areas...

Specialized tools like 'dehaze' or 'clarity' aren't comparable to curves/levels, so they aren't interchangeable by any means.

I've put 'dehaze' with negative value, thus we can call it rather "add-haze" ;- ) on par to bloom because that's the effect I achieve with it. Both simulate bright light travelling through areas with tiny particles (dust,etc..).
I mentioned I use it to creatively enhance areas that I feel might benefit from the treatment, so it's just localized feature. Same way people use vignetting creatively instead of just lens (d)effect.

I think something was lost in translation as this is absolutely normal retouching technique. There are things I still rather depend on manual touch than have it only procedurally from framebuffer, particularly in case of Bloom&Glare because I don't find its implementation in Corona to be of high enough quality.

Impressive work ..I'm  really in love with the lighting  here !
Also thanks for answering all the questions here  as always ,that's so generous of you to do so !
Aside question tho..I did few renders for lighting products and usually they ask for a night or at least dark mood render as addition  ..how did you go with the decision  to go with bright mood?

There was no request for any particular mood from client but it somehow came naturally. His reference (part of which was our older project for Jessica Vedel) showed natural daylight so with that I went.
I don't think their intention was to show the lamp functionality but instead how they look and how well they can blend into the space as natural (sculptural) feature of it.

But we generally get far less requests for dusk or night shots than what seems to be common (despite having two projects in portfolio completely based on dusk mood). Our clients just like the daylight same as we do :- ).

2018-04-08, 19:28:26
Reply #37

Mr.Max

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Our clients just like the daylight same as we do :- ).
I remember almost the same quote from MIR team but for their mood =D

Thanks for answering again !
Simply, I love to put pixels together! Sounds easy right : ))
https://www.behance.net/NawrasRyhan

2018-04-08, 20:19:29
Reply #38

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You can turn off the viewport preview with maxscript command, but then you loose the previews. But it stops the vertigo ;- ).

In case anyone else was wondering, I found this as the script to disable it:

(nitrousgraphicsmanager.getactiveviewportsetting()).DOFEnabled=false