Author Topic: Marvelous questions  (Read 6374 times)

2016-04-13, 15:03:04

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • johny.mrazko.visualization
Hi guys

I´m trying a new workflow in fabrics modelling in Marvelous Designer and trying to create this type of cushions http://www.honeybearlane.com/2011/06/slipcover-progress-and-how-to-make-a-cushion-cover.html . The question is - what should I use as the fill? I know how to sew and cut the covering fabric, but am wondering about the inner part - I´ve been using the same thing to fill just  of smaller scale and with different properties, and I´ve also tried to make an avatar in max and import it and just wrap the fabric around, but I am still not satisfied with the results

Will be happy to hear your tips and thoughts

2016-04-13, 15:10:57
Reply #1

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In.

Would love to learn how to use Marvelous designer. Would any experts say it's quicker / more reliable than simple poly modelling or cloth simulation in max for sofas, cushions e.t.c? Cutting down modelling time would be a great pro.
Vray who?

2016-04-13, 15:22:22
Reply #2

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
(poly modelled) Avatar should only be used for non-deforming shapes (bed frame,etc..) or shapes that already went through simulation, and will be re-imported as Avatar to speed further simulation of fabrics on top of it.

So pillows and bedding,etc.. are always full fabrics in Marvelous. It's OK to use few at same time (3 pillows with 3 fillings plus bedding,etc..) but more you use it, the worse Marvelous becomes...not only slower, it will have issues with completing the simulation in all parts.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-04-13, 15:25:03
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Would any experts say it's quicker / more reliable than simple poly modelling or cloth simulation in max for sofas, cushions e.t.c? Cutting down modelling time would be a great pro.

It makes possible what is absolutely impossible with poly-modelling, and extremely tough to do with sculpting.

It's only fast when you need to create basic messy stuff, the beds that Veronika creates often take few days to create. Mostly because Marvelous is not meant for it.... Most of the time we're just fighting various quirks and issues it creates. It's absolutely random the moment you try to create anything different than clothes or basic pillow stuff.

3dsMax cloth simulation is single-threaded joke pretty much good for nothing at all :- ).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2016-04-13, 15:29:42
Reply #4

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Juraj, then the question is - how does the filling of the pillow look like? I know in real world it is made of e.g. wool etc. - in Marvelous is this somehow physically replicable or is it all just eyeballing?

2016-04-13, 15:36:24
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Marvelous has physical properties but don't be fooled :- ) They hardly work like their real-world counter-part. The manual describes it all quite well.

MarvD is basically exercise in outside-of-box thinking and excruciable patience.

2016-04-13, 15:39:44
Reply #6

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Do you have any idea how would you have modelled the cushion in MD in my first link ?

2016-04-13, 16:16:59
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Exactly as in the article. You have to replicate the patterns as they are, MarvD is not different from real-life sewing.

2016-04-13, 16:23:02
Reply #8

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This part is clear to me . I was wondering more about how to do the filling

2016-04-13, 17:44:29
Reply #9

Matej Ovsenek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
you should create another pillow inside the pillowcase and add pressure to both (or more) patterns. adjust as needed, depending on the fabric you use. the inside pillow should inflate and create the filling.
----------------------------------------------
matej.ovsenek - Skype
matej.ovsenek@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/matej.ovsenek

2016-04-13, 18:26:00
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
There's a tons of MD tutorials on youtube. I especially like this guy's tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKA36MgNlS3yi51ECII5xIQ?nohtml5=False
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-04-13, 20:44:54
Reply #11

Matej Ovsenek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just saw that link link. Go with rommullus' tutorial suggestion.
----------------------------------------------
matej.ovsenek - Skype
matej.ovsenek@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/matej.ovsenek

2016-04-14, 13:14:07
Reply #12

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-04-20, 16:14:59
Reply #13