Author Topic: Corona Ocean shader - like Mental Ray  (Read 29677 times)

2015-07-23, 12:24:02

redlad

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Does Corona have any kind of procedural map for water surfaces? Mental Ray has a really handy one (water, reflective surface (bump)), that's quite effective to use on flat surfaces.

Any thoughts are welcome :)

Thanks

2015-07-23, 13:59:24
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Not yet. You can post about it to feature request section, as i don't recall anyone asking about it.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-07-23, 14:06:35
Reply #2

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Nope, Corona does not have any and I doubt there will be any in the future, because Corona does not go the the task specialized shaders way. That being said, 3ds Max has strong procedurals, so you can easily build one yourself, like the one I am attaching.

2015-07-23, 14:29:08
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
That's a pity, because i was about to ask to add something like Mental Ray's landscape material :] Just don't say it's possible to do with bunch of fallof and noise maps. I know it is, but it's so much more convenient to have it in one place. BTW, it's nice idea for one of your future tutorials ;]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-07-23, 14:37:07
Reply #4

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
That's a pity, because i was about to ask to add something like Mental Ray's landscape material :] Just don't say it's possible to do with bunch of fallof and noise maps. I know it is, but it's so much more convenient to have it in one place. BTW, it's nice idea for one of your future tutorials ;]

That's funny, I actually never successfully used landscape material. Every time i tried, i just could not get the result i needed, so i ended up using bunch of falloff and noise maps, which ended up being both faster and easier to control. I may actually do some tutorial about it indeed :)

Actually, i wish Autodesk did not give up on improving stuff that's already in 3ds Max. That way we could get groups/compounds in slate editor - and I could easily make compounds of maps that are wrapped up in a single node with custom inputs :) So I could recreate landscape shader for example :)

2015-07-23, 15:40:49
Reply #5

ktulu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nope, Corona does not have any and I doubt there will be any in the future, because Corona does not go the the task specialized shaders way. That being said, 3ds Max has strong procedurals, so you can easily build one yourself, like the one I am attaching.

Hey,
thanks for the file. I just opened it in Max 2016, Corona 1.1.1 and that's the result I got after hitting the render button.
Was the shader supposed to look like this? Or is there something, that I should change in my settings for it to render properly?

Thanks,

Edit: Replaced attachment with a jpeg. I guess using PNG wasn't the best idea after all.

2015-07-23, 16:08:57
Reply #6

Paul Jones

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looks to me like a displacement bug.

2015-07-24, 05:00:49
Reply #7

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What about this?
http://www.guillaumeplourde.com/
Maybe its corona compatible.
Looks pretty good.
What i do with Corona My Corona post of random stuff rendering
WARNING: English.dll still loading...

2015-07-24, 09:19:11
Reply #8

-Ben-Battler-

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hey,
thanks for the file. I just opened it in Max 2016, Corona 1.1.1 and that's the result I got after hitting the render button.
Was the shader supposed to look like this? Or is there something, that I should change in my settings for it to render properly?

Thanks,

Edit: Replaced attachment with a jpeg. I guess using PNG wasn't the best idea after all.

You have to disable the Water Lvl. in the displacement section of the material.

BR
Visit boxel

2015-07-24, 11:15:50
Reply #9

ktulu

• Active Users
    • View Profile

You have to disable the Water Lvl. in the displacement section of the material.

BR

Thanks Ben,

this surely helped get rid of the weird holes in the mesh. With the default subdivision the faceting remains however. Turbosmoothing the plane certainly helped. Am I correct thinking, that adaptive displacement in the newest daily should take care of this automatically?

2015-07-24, 11:41:49
Reply #10

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Yep, sorry. I've rendered it with a new Corona 1.2 displacement. 1.2 version should be out next week, so you can give it a try straight ahead. Or, you can simply put displace modifier on top of the plane, and plug the map i used for displacement in there. :)

2015-07-24, 12:00:12
Reply #11

-Ben-Battler-

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Thanks Ben,

this surely helped get rid of the weird holes in the mesh. With the default subdivision the faceting remains however. Turbosmoothing the plane certainly helped. Am I correct thinking, that adaptive displacement in the newest daily should take care of this automatically?

While still below 1.2 instead of using a Turbosmooth modifier you can as well just increase the Max subdiv per poly slider in the Performance Settings.
Visit boxel

2015-07-24, 15:41:52
Reply #12

ktulu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Rawalanche and Ben, thanks heaps guys. I've surely learned something new today.

2015-07-29, 05:02:53
Reply #13

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
What about this?
http://www.guillaumeplourde.com/
Maybe its corona compatible.
Looks pretty good.
never heard before & looks good. maybe better than max procedural, have to try this soon.
thanx for the suggestion borisquezadaa.

2015-07-29, 20:57:45
Reply #14

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Also i like to add an excellent texture map that comes with Phoenix FD called PhoenixFDOceanTex i just tested it using Displacement in Corona material with good result.
This implementation from chaosgroup is better cause is a procedural texture both vector based or normal based, and the result has no tiling whatsoever.
You can even extract (render) the map for later use in order to get rid of the plugin.

Disregard tearing edges. Rendered in corona 6
« Last Edit: 2015-07-29, 21:24:28 by borisquezadaa »
What i do with Corona My Corona post of random stuff rendering
WARNING: English.dll still loading...

2015-08-18, 00:01:03
Reply #15

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yep, sorry. I've rendered it with a new Corona 1.2 displacement. 1.2 version should be out next week, so you can give it a try straight ahead. Or, you can simply put displace modifier on top of the plane, and plug the map i used for displacement in there. :)
Adds an interesting point that, it would be nice that Corona materials could remember that a modifier is part of the material and automatically adds that modifier.

2015-08-18, 17:41:14
Reply #16

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I used the file Rawalanche and tweaked it (I hope you don't mind) I used bercon maps being a BM fanboy n all :) in my example with bercon mapping map also. All are found here for 2015 anyway: https://corona-renderer.com/blog/offtopic-bercon-maps-for-3dsmax-2015/

Mist, fog and cloud affects also were added to 3 boxes. Mist one with noise added 30cm high. Fog was large box and cloud box was over the entire scene to have an ever so subtle effect on final outcome.

Not included is a Peter Guthrie EXR map which was a giveaway for free at Christmas I think. HDRi - 0707 Dawn Sun. You'll have to provide your own HDRi / exr file. Sorry, at the time of doing this I thought it was still available for free.

See below scene and renders.
« Last Edit: 2015-08-18, 17:55:34 by 3dwannab »

2016-01-07, 20:43:25
Reply #17

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Also i like to add an excellent texture map that comes with Phoenix FD called PhoenixFDOceanTex i just tested it using Displacement in Corona material with good result.
This implementation from chaosgroup is better cause is a procedural texture both vector based or normal based, and the result has no tiling whatsoever.
You can even extract (render) the map for later use in order to get rid of the plugin.

Disregard tearing edges. Rendered in corona 6

Boris, did this work with Bump map as well ? Or just displacement ?
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-01-07, 21:22:24
Reply #18

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I used the file Rawalanche and tweaked it (I hope you don't mind) I used bercon maps being a BM fanboy n all :) in my example with bercon mapping map also. All are found here for 2015 anyway: https://corona-renderer.com/blog/offtopic-bercon-maps-for-3dsmax-2015/

Mist, fog and cloud affects also were added to 3 boxes. Mist one with noise added 30cm high. Fog was large box and cloud box was over the entire scene to have an ever so subtle effect on final outcome.

Not included is a Peter Guthrie EXR map which was a giveaway for free at Christmas I think. HDRi - 0707 Dawn Sun. You'll have to provide your own HDRi / exr file. Sorry, at the time of doing this I thought it was still available for free.

See below scene and renders.

Downloaded this scene to give it a test. 2560px, Disp (2px) takes 10 minutes on 40 cores.... is this normal ? I can't find reasonable way to use the displacement with times like this.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2016-01-07, 21:46:03
Reply #19

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Did you hide the fog, mist and cloud geos? That might be it.

Just tested - It takes longer to parse the scene with them hidden which is strange. But give that and go and see. Play with the displace values to get a different feel also.

See after 5mins with my machine with same 2pxdisplace & output res as yours.
« Last Edit: 2016-01-07, 21:50:29 by 3dwannab »

2016-01-07, 21:57:15
Reply #20

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I deleted them even :- ) But even on fresh scene with simplest procedurals I find the time abysmal...

2016-01-07, 22:11:36
Reply #21

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
:] Not sure how the new Siger Noise holds up. Could be just the bercon noise map causing the Issue. Those two maps are pretty similar so shouldn't be too hard to translate one map to the other to quickly test.

Something to look into by the devs maybe.

2016-01-07, 22:33:13
Reply #22

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
In the end, I used the smaller part of your Bercon Noise as bump map, works OK-ish. So thank you for uploading this :- ).

I need ocean surface with almost 1km x 1km, and displacement just...both takes long, and doesn't even look impressive at all. Not sure if this pre-calc thing is good thing.

2016-01-08, 00:34:54
Reply #23

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It really does depend on the look you want. I've went and tried out siger maps. I've simplified the shader a bit and I ended up with sort of a rip current effect. 200% speed up time roughly with this shader than the previous one.

I do like these Siger Maps a lot. They update in VFB better than Bercons also which is nice. There was problems with the Bercon maps in the displace slot before.

See result and .max file.