Author Topic: How to render reflections in biased mode (no GI)  (Read 4009 times)

2015-12-01, 00:24:22

jan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
is there any way to render reflections with corona, without activating a gi solver?
The only nearby solution we found is to convert all materials into a Ray Switch Material, leaving the GI-Slot empty, but this switches the shadows off.
So we doublicated all abjects, gave them a default material, set them to not visible (except casting shadows), to get our shadows back.
Now we´re not rendering without gi, but minimizing the use of it.

2015-12-01, 08:33:09
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
In order to turn off GI, set primary solver to none (render setup>performance>global illumination>primary solver).
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-12-01, 09:36:42
Reply #2

jan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi romullus, thanks for your reply, but turning off gi is not my problem. the problem is, that when gi is off reflections are not rendered too.
We´re just in production, trying to reduce rendertimes as much as possible, so we´re faking daylight - rendering without gi, but we do need reflections in glass surfaces.

2015-12-01, 11:04:50
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Fakes in Corona is not a good idea.

The proper way of disabling GI with rayswitcher is putting a pure black material (diffuse 0, no other features like reflections) into the GI slot. Not leaving the slot empty.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-12-01, 12:03:41
Reply #4

jan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank You, this helps a lot! I know, corona is not the best choice for fake lighting etc. but we tried mental ray and found us intstantly dealing with artifacts, errors and crashes (gpu-ao) - exactly the reasons why we changed to corona ;-)