Author Topic: Clouds playground!  (Read 18492 times)

2022-09-06, 16:48:48
Reply #15

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I just installed the new daily in a separate folder to load Max 2020 with it.

I can't seem to have the clouds working.
Do I need to do anything else other than activating the clouds on the CoronaSky?

2022-09-06, 17:13:41
Reply #16

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Nope other than making sure it's the PRG Sky, and that you have no overrides for direct visibility etc. or LightMix layers with multiple skies that could mean you are looking at a different sky :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-09-06, 17:14:35
Reply #17

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh and make sure your sky altitude and camera actual altitude in the 3D scene is not higher than the Clouds altitude.

2022-09-06, 17:56:28
Reply #18

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh and make sure your sky altitude and camera actual altitude in the 3D scene is not higher than the Clouds altitude.

Nope. Nothing.
I'm sending the file attached just in case the devs want to see it.
But, unless I'm missing something, it's not showing the clouds at all.

2022-09-06, 18:33:53
Reply #19

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Loaded the scene, some warning about MentalRay assets etc told it to clear them out on scene open, and then just hit render and there they are. Was this created in some older version of Corona, including an earlier daily build? Max 2023 here btw.

2022-09-06, 18:37:07
Reply #20

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Loaded the scene, some warning about MentalRay assets etc told it to clear them out on scene open, and then just hit render and there they are. Was this created in some older version of Corona, including an earlier daily build? Max 2023 here btw.

Yes. It's my Maxstart file created with Corona 7 or 8.
Will try removing that Maxstart file and see if that was the issue.
Thanks Tom.

2022-09-06, 18:41:56
Reply #21

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Most welcome! Yeah if from an older Corona version there could be internal settings and parameters that are different now, create a new scene, merge this one into it, then save again as your new start (or maybe even just a "Reset Settings" and resave might work without the new scene > merge thing). Let us know how you get on!

2022-09-06, 21:15:24
Reply #22

Mohammadreza Mohseni

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Instagram

Do I need to do anything else other than activating the clouds on the CoronaSky?
I had this issue with latest daily build and merge in new scene or reset or both does not help to resolve it, and i had several times download and install it but does not help either. after checking the installation folder and compare it to setup file i found that the prg cloud dat file had not been copied to corona installation folder so manually copying it to prg sky folder fix the issue for me. perhaps thats the case for you also.

2022-09-06, 22:17:28
Reply #23

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I had this issue with latest daily build and merge in new scene or reset or both does not help to resolve it, and i had several times download and install it but does not help either. after checking the installation folder and compare it to setup file i found that the prg cloud dat file had not been copied to corona installation folder so manually copying it to prg sky folder fix the issue for me. perhaps thats the case for you also.

Thanks for that info.
My second installation of Corona (the one I run with the BAT file) did have that PrgCloudsModelData.dat file.
But I realized that the second installation was taking files from the original Corona folder (LUTs for example). So I installed that PrgClouds file to the original installation of Corona and now it works!

Maybe the problem was in my BAT file. Don't know. This is what my BAT file has:
SET "CORONA_3DSMAX_2020_LOAD_PATH=C:\Users\Guido\Desktop\CoronaForTests\Corona\Corona Renderer for 3ds Max\2020" & START "" "%ProgramFiles%\Autodesk\3ds Max 2020\3dsmax.exe"

Anyway, thanks both!

2022-09-07, 09:03:40
Reply #24

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

We are aware of the issue where the clouds/sky data doesn't work with multiloaders. We are looking into a fix for this.

Cheers,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2022-09-07, 09:24:11
Reply #25

aldaryn

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I did a quick live session to my team explaining the system's exceptional ability to iterate and explore moods interactively. Two things popped up.

1.: Really nice moods and skys. :D
2.: A bug blending the volume effect with the clouds. (second image, on the left, volume effect is set to 1.0, right it is off)

Since the clouds look so nice and there are so few images in this thred, thought I grow their numbers a bit.

2022-09-07, 12:13:37
Reply #26

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I did a quick live session to my team explaining the system's exceptional ability to iterate and explore moods interactively. Two things popped up.

1.: Really nice moods and skys. :D
2.: A bug blending the volume effect with the clouds. (second image, on the left, volume effect is set to 1.0, right it is off)

Since the clouds look so nice and there are so few images in this thred, thought I grow their numbers a bit.
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback! We are aware of the issue with the volume effect.

Unfortunately it is not straightforward to fix, and therefore I cannot provide a timescale on when this may happen.

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2022-09-07, 15:50:06
Reply #27

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Thank you for making clouds shadows optional, it's so nice when you don't need to chase clouds position where they don't cast shadow on entire scene anymore!
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-09-09, 13:03:55
Reply #28

aldaryn

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Unfortunately it is not straightforward to fix, and therefore I cannot provide a timescale on when this may happen.

Care to elaborate? I'm just courius.

To me, it seemed, that the clouds are not actually "in the scene", they appear to be "baked in" the sky shader (thus the speed). So, for my layman mind, they should behave just like a bitmap in the background of the scene. Also, putting the volumeetric effect inside the sky shader felt a bit strange from the beginning. Don't you guys want to give the purpuse built fast aerial perspective shader a separate volumetric shader that we can drop onto a geometry or put it into some global volume shader slot?

2022-09-22, 14:31:57
Reply #29

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
By the way, did I understand correctly that cirrus clouds cannot be randomized?
Hey Marchik,

I saw you posted a few questions regarding clouds around. I spoke to the dev team regarding these and I will copy in their responses below :)

By the way, did I understand correctly that cirrus clouds cannot be randomized?
They can be just offset (together with main clouds, not independently), but not randomized (variety parameter doesn't affect them). There will be a new random seed parameter for clouds and contrails, however this won't affect cirrus clouds. Right now a random seed for cirrus clouds would not be effective as cirrus clouds are just a 2d texture. This is something we could look into for the future.

I will additionally mention that I did not manage to achieve an acceptable look of an almost evenly overcast sky, as if there is always not enough range of parameters, for example, I would gladly set the cirrus amount to more than 1.0.
1.0 just means "cirrus texture" is shown without hiding anything. I guess you would like clouds to be darker? We can look into this in future iterations

Similarly, it would be convenient to be able to slightly randomize the position of the clouds in height relative to each other, if you set the "Altitude" parameter to a sufficiently high value, then the repeatability becomes clearly noticeable
This is quite tricky to do, we will log this for investigation.

It would be cool to have access to the parameters of the cloud shading itself, (make them more transparent without changing the thickness for example, or slightly change the parameters for scattering in them) + I would like to have a greater variety of real-life cloud shapes.
As a result, from all these parameters it will be possible to form presets (low cloudy / rainy / cirrus, etc., which can be used by ordinary users who do not like to "play"
This is something we are looking into for v10 and the future.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!