Author Topic: Bitmap Filtering and Blur Examples  (Read 7687 times)

2014-07-18, 06:15:27

JoeVallard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Joe Vallard
Simple render test with Grant Warwick' Material Ball.
http://www.grantwarwick.net/mastering-vraynew-page/

The material setup uses the same bitmap with separate composite mixes for Diffuse, Reflection, Glossiness, and Bump.

First Image is with Pyramidal Filtering, Blur Values of 1.0, 0.5, and 0.01
Second Image is with Summed Area, Blur Values of 1.0, 0.5, and 0.01
Third Image is with None, Blur Values of 1.0, 0.5, and 0.01

No filtering and 0.01 in the bump slot causes material problems. Which Keymaster does say Bump maps need some sort of filtering.
With these simple renders, No Filtering with any amount of blur produces the same render times, which are faster then any of the filters.

2014-07-18, 11:44:34
Reply #1

greysheep5

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • cy architecture
interesting! thanks...

our standard workflow in vray was to set filtering to none and blur to 0,01 for most stuff (maybe except bumps). Good to know that might not be a good workflow in corona.

edit: stumbed across the other topic here https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,4537.0.html with some of you guys thinkings on filtering and performance.

i will continue with some internal testing regarding looks and speed with and without filtering, the initial findings are the same as in the other thread, with blur set to one and filtering on, the speed ist faster than with a smaller blur value. with filtering set to none this blur value doesn´t do anything speedwise. i first have to compare the rendertime and quality in a few scenes when i have time to say more... might post some sample images next week regarding that matter.

cheers,

chris.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-18, 15:02:28 by greysheep5 »

2014-07-18, 18:16:46
Reply #2

JoeVallard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Joe Vallard
No filtering had the fast render times, and blurring didnt matter. They all rendered at the same time. The bump map with no filter i found with no filter,  needed to have atleast 0.25 blur or it produces lost of noise.  As you can see in the picture.

On quality. The images decompressed on upload. But the differences are so little. Summed area gave a little brighter on thr reflections. But it was still very little.

2014-07-18, 19:50:49
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi, you could upload the pictures to some image hosting site, the compression kills all the detail here.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us