Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 517291 times)

2019-06-13, 16:57:53
Reply #405

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Absolutely. Any vendor who wouldn't would be massive fool. Look at what happened to prices of 1950X. Yes some shops always keeps their prices up for years, but everyone who actually wanted to sell that CPU did so with up to 60perc. discount. The CPU went for peanuts on bazaars/auctions.

The hype is so strong ! New benchmarks every day. It's crazy that it might obliterate my 18core i9 7980XE (with dellid!!).

Whats your CBR20 score with that cpu ? I was interested in it before buying 2990wx (TR wasnt released yet) after talking with Jakub Cech but im glad i waited for 32c.
Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha

2019-06-13, 17:16:09
Reply #406

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I will be rebuilding this WS (7980XE) next week to also have water cooling, I kinda don't want to spend money on it but I already have it so I'll keep it for some time, at least until something 48c won't surface out.
I will run full suite of benchmarks afterwards as right now my AVX turbo (one I have to run with Corona) is not that high...

You did good waiting for Threadripper as it's better chip overall but surprisingly the scores in Corona aren't that far behind to Veronika's 2990WX. Cinebench R15 is different league, there it is behind ( 4400 points).

Even with delid this chip is terrible thermally and my NH-D15 is absolutely squeling :- ). Drives me insane hence the watercooling because I can't sell it, no one would buy it anymore.
(Did Jakub tell you he's keeping the PC in wardrobe lol).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-06-13, 17:45:19
Reply #407

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Don't want to ruin the nice debate you two have going (was thinking about similar cpus for an extra workstation myself) but Wccftech just posted a rumor about a 64 core TR possibly coming in Q4. I guess its kind of pointless until its confirmed but hey...
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2019-06-13, 18:00:38
Reply #408

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I would take everything that cesspool of basement dwelling neckbeards write with bucket of salt on teen foot pole stick, but...

.. that is some over the top rumour ;- ). Looks like AMD will make for another very exciting year on CPU field. Sticking to CPU renderer isn't such an issue anymore.

I don't want to mention Silver Kitchen Appliance for Pros™ but it better watch out..
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2019-06-13, 18:14:18
Reply #409

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Yea Corona benchmark is not even affected by PBO. Rendertime is still the same with or without it enabled.

And regarding TR, even if they released 64C TR my guess is that it will be attacking 4k+ euro. I dont think we will see 64c TR anyway. There is several logical reasons for it.

There was a lot of rumors about new Ryzens as well and most of those rumors were false.
Coronaut!(c)2011

2019-06-13, 19:15:57
Reply #411

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/c01sln/according_to_amd_a_stock_3900x_beats_an_all_core/

If stock 3950x can do 9k points, i can sell my 2990wx and just slightly OC that 16core.

Depends how it perform with Corona...
Coronaut!(c)2011

2019-06-13, 19:46:38
Reply #412

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
@michaltimko

Hmm, that is interesting. I wouldn't get _that_ excited though :)) I mean at the end of the day we are looking at a base core boost (we don't know the all core turbo yet) + extra cores + apparently ~15-20 IPC gain versus the previous gen so if we do the math we should kinda know the ballpark numbers I guess.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2019-06-13, 19:58:11
Reply #413

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
So does anyone remember how two years ago Intel sold quad-core HEDT cpus for x299 platform ? The infamous KabyLake-"X"  i7-7740X for 400 Euros ?

The one that was just 30perc. faster at stock than 6 years old (back then, 8 years now) Sandy Bridge i7 2700k, but overclocked worse, so it was almost tie. Who would guess what would come.

2019-06-13, 20:13:31
Reply #414

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Haha yea.

Now imagine new 32core TR with 17-18k cinebench points. With 10-15% ipc on desktop variants, i`d expect different score but who knows.

EDIT : https://twitter.com/1usmus/status/1139213599891759105
« Last Edit: 2019-06-13, 22:49:17 by michaltimko »
Coronaut!(c)2011

2019-06-16, 23:54:14
Reply #415

JoeVallard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Joe Vallard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE97qIGhV0Y&t=1930s
Talking about no market for the rumored 64 core zen 2 threadripper. Figured everyone browsing this topic here would suggest otherwise.

2019-06-17, 17:03:39
Reply #416

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE97qIGhV0Y&t=1930s
Talking about no market for the rumored 64 core zen 2 threadripper. Figured everyone browsing this topic here would suggest otherwise.

These videos are often not even worth commenting...entertainment level is very good but with so little value beyond that. These guys have such abstract, mythical ideal of who the target audience of HEDT/Prosumer systems are, and how varied they are that their all-in-one advice is always completely off the mark. They really should keep it strictly in the gaming systems territory.

"It needs dem ECC memoriez for "stability", long renders needs stability",etc.. all those stupidities they have been saying for years. Then you have a full generation of gamers who consider themselves experts on all things hardware involved.

And this is how we got RGB crap on our workstation boards.

2019-06-17, 17:44:40
Reply #417

Rimas

• Active Users
  • Please refer all complaints to a brick wall nearby
    • View Profile

These guys have such abstract, mythical ideal of who the target audience of HEDT/Prosumer systems are, and how varied they are that their all-in-one advice is always completely off the mark. They really should keep it strictly in the gaming systems territory.

"It needs dem ECC memoriez for "stability", long renders needs stability",etc.. all those stupidities they have been saying for years. Then you have a full generation of gamers who consider themselves experts on all things hardware involved.

And this is how we got RGB crap on our workstation boards.

Truer words haven't been spoken in a long time...
"Gamers" are the same idiots who constantly talked crap about raytracing too, when Nvidia came out with their RTX series. Reading "gamer" comments was a hair-pulling experience...

They should stick to what they know - fugly RGB and benchmarking Firestrike for no reason for hours :)
A morning of awkwardness is far better than a night of loneliness...

2019-06-17, 19:15:50
Reply #418

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I thought the latest benchmark for CPUs was whether you can get 200 or 240 fps in fullHD :- )

2019-06-18, 10:23:49
Reply #419

Rimas

• Active Users
  • Please refer all complaints to a brick wall nearby
    • View Profile
I thought the latest benchmark for CPUs was whether you can get 200 or 240 fps in fullHD :- )

Probably. As if the world is stuck at 1080p. I personally moved on to 4K and 5K, but what do I know xD
A morning of awkwardness is far better than a night of loneliness...