Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 517286 times)

2018-08-13, 16:21:16

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This thread contains a lot of information on compatible hardware for AMD Threadripper CPUs from Zen 2 onwards.
Post your build and get some advice on your specs.

Original post content
I Noticed someone posted a benchmark today for the new 32 core amd ryzen threadripper 2990wx.
It had an x4 next to the cpu name. Is that using 4 of the processors? Or is it because there are 4 dies per processor?
The result was far from spectacular at 42 seconds. still WAY over the fastest xeon result but decent for a prosumer grade sku.
But still seeing that its double the core count of the previous 16 core threadripper at a decent clock speed its surprising that they only managed to shave off 15ish seconds.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-20, 10:34:41 by Juraj Talcik »

2018-08-13, 16:47:15
Reply #1

3DsChobo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It was tested using one threadripper at factory settings. So I guess the 4 stands for the dies within.
You can read the corresponding article here (they submitted the corona bench afterwards).
https://www.computerbase.de/2018-08/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx-2950x-test/

The result is really good and can compete even with the Xeon 8180.
But the question is how the CPU will perforn on memory intense scenes, since the memory intertface has severe problems.

2018-08-13, 18:19:34
Reply #2

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It was tested using one threadripper at factory settings. So I guess the 4 stands for the dies within.
You can read the corresponding article here (they submitted the corona bench afterwards).
https://www.computerbase.de/2018-08/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx-2950x-test/

The result is really good and can compete even with the Xeon 8180.
But the question is how the CPU will perforn on memory intense scenes, since the memory intertface has severe problems.

Its ppretty decent yeah im just surprised that it isnt quicker given i can hit 01:02 on my 16 core. granted at a higher clock speed. Its still pretty amazing though! Glad to see a drop in price of the 1950x too

2018-08-13, 19:07:49
Reply #3

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There's already a new benchmark at 37sec. There's also a benchmark for the 2950x at 1:04:99.

2018-08-13, 20:15:08
Reply #4

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
PCWorld has a video review that shows Corona scaling almost linearly above the 1950x (assuming both are at stock speeds.)

Right around 7:40:

I'm on an overclocked 1950x now.  Just waiting for a few more reviews and benchmarks to trickle out before I upgrade.  Almost 2x the performance seems worth it...

2018-08-13, 20:19:03
Reply #5

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
PCWorld has a video review that shows Corona scaling almost linearly above the 1950x (assuming both are at stock speeds.)

Right around 7:40:

I'm on an overclocked 1950x now.  Just waiting for a few more reviews and benchmarks to trickle out before I upgrade.  Almost 2x the performance seems worth it...

Im still running an old 8 core amd FX on my home pc but now 1950x is going to be cheaper i might invest in a new rig. Im super impressed by AMD though they have kind of cornered the market when it comes for bang for buck cpus. Would be interesting to see what people cansqueeze out of it and what the closest intel sku is in terms of speed vs price.

2018-08-13, 21:26:37
Reply #6

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Im still running an old 8 core amd FX on my home pc but now 1950x is going to be cheaper i might invest in a new rig. Im super impressed by AMD though they have kind of cornered the market when it comes for bang for buck cpus. Would be interesting to see what people cansqueeze out of it and what the closest intel sku is in terms of speed vs price.

1950X has treated me amazingly well.  The only glitch I ran into was having to return some non-compatible memory.  Super picky CPU that way.

2018-08-13, 21:28:24
Reply #7

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

1950X has treated me amazingly well.  The only glitch I ran into was having to return some non-compatible memory.  Super picky CPU that way.

Yeah i built 4 1950x machines for work and the part selection was a bit of a pain but i think the new ryzen 16 core in the v2 range might be a bit easier.

2018-08-13, 22:40:16
Reply #8

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Yeah i built 4 1950x machines for work and the part selection was a bit of a pain but i think the new ryzen 16 core in the v2 range might be a bit easier.

I’m just hoping my Taichi has enough juice to let me overclock the 2990wx a little.  Planning to do a 1 for 1 swap after a bios update.  Not sure what I’ll do with my old 1950x...maybe build a new machine, except RAM is so expensive.

2018-08-13, 23:00:16
Reply #9

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I’m just hoping my Taichi has enough juice to let me overclock the 2990wx a little.  Planning to do a 1 for 1 swap after a bios update.  Not sure what I’ll do with my old 1950x...maybe build a new machine, except RAM is so expensive.

youd hope although ive heard people say its worrying the mobo manufacturers and might need extra cooling

2018-08-14, 01:26:58
Reply #10

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Interesting stuff going on here with Blender in Linux vs Windows comparisons:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=2990wx-linux-windows&num=4

Is the way windows is handling large core count CPU's whats crippling the performance or something else? I hear rumours that Windows' NUMA handling is abysmal. Across the board in any app tested on that site the Linux version seems to decimate the Windows variant...

Corona devs can you weigh in on this?
Vray who?

2018-08-14, 11:32:46
Reply #11

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Interesting stuff going on here with Blender in Linux vs Windows comparisons:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=2990wx-linux-windows&num=4

Is the way windows is handling large core count CPU's whats crippling the performance or something else? I hear rumours that Windows' NUMA handling is abysmal. Across the board in any app tested on that site the Linux version seems to decimate the Windows variant...

Corona devs can you weigh in on this?

Could it be that blender on linux is more optimised/faster than blender for windows? It would be interesting to see these tests with like a current gen i7 to see if its a standard thing.

2018-08-17, 18:06:32
Reply #12

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Interesting to see a 36 second benchmark pop up @ 4ghz.  That's almost perfect scaling.  I think mine at 3.9ghz was around a minute.  Tempting, if I just knew that the Taichi would support OCing to 3.9 or so...

2018-08-23, 13:00:06
Reply #13

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Our 2990WX is home :- ) This will be Veronika's new workstation.

Parts: 2990WX + MSI MEG X399 Creation / Seasonic Prime 1300W / 64 GB @ 3000 MHZ / 1 TB 960 PRO as main drive / 2TB + 2TB 960 EVO as secondary drives for photography / Shit ton of Noctua Cromax finally in black :- ) / U14S TR4 cooler, until second revision of Enermax Liqtech 360 ( II version, with stupid RGB ) is out and was widely tested for longevity ) / Define R6 / nVidia RTX, not sure which one yet
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-08-23, 13:33:45
Reply #14

Adam

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RenderWorx
Our 2990WX is home :- ) This will be Veronika's new workstation.

Parts: 2990WX + MSI MEG X399 Creation / Seasonic Prime 1300W / 64 GB @ 3000 MHZ / 1 TB 960 PRO as main drive / 2TB + 2TB 960 EVO as secondary drives for photography / Shit ton of Noctua Cromax finally in black :- ) / U14S TR4 cooler, until second revision of Enermax Liqtech 360 ( II version, with stupid RGB ) is out and was widely tested for longevity ) / Define R6 / nVidia RTX, not sure which one yet

Very cool! Can't wait to get mine :D