Author Topic: v7 Displacement  (Read 1980 times)

2021-01-29, 18:14:23

snifferdog

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is there an issue with displacement in the latest build. I am just having a play with the new physical material but can't get decent displacement on new material or legacy material now.

Is it me or is this an issue? Cinema 4D S22 Corona Version: 7.0 daily Jan 22 2021

Thanks!

2021-01-29, 18:27:19
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Would need to see the results you are getting, and what your material set up is (in particular with bitmaps or with procedurals or both, but also showing displacement strength values), with added bonus for showing what it looks like with the legacy material / old Corona version for comparison. Otherwise we are not sure what you meant by the displacement not being decent (not strong enough? Mapped incorrectly? Too blurred or soft? Too sharp?) Thanks!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-01-29, 18:27:48
Reply #2

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i also get here and there errors like black spots, special of the mat uses SSS.

just add a c4d noise to dispalcement and a sss mat,and apply it to a cube, you will see the black or wierd spots on the edges

2021-01-29, 19:09:54
Reply #3

snifferdog

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It is working but it seems that if it is a megascans material I have to push the displacement up high to get a decent effect whereas a substance material uses much lower settings. This may just be something I have not noticed before.

I have attached a slate wall texture on a 2m x 2m cube and the displacement needs to be at 20cm to get a decent effect.

2021-01-29, 19:12:17
Reply #4

snifferdog

• Active Users
    • View Profile
new physical material as well...

2021-02-01, 09:36:38
Reply #5

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
@snifferdog
Here is a pretty good workflow tip from Romullus regarding Megascans themselves:

I just search the file for "height" keyword. Usually it comes like this:

Code: [Select]
"key": "height",
      "name": "Height",
      "value": "0.06m"

So it's a matter of converting to your working units and dividing by 2. I mostly work in centimeters, so for me it's -3cm and 3cm. I hope that helps.

P.S. i didn't touch Megascan assets for a while, so i don't know, maybe they changed structure of their json files?

So basically, open up the JSON file that comes with the Megascans assets -> Search for the "height" parameter and then divide it by two and enter it into the - and + input fields.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2021-02-01, 10:48:08
Reply #6

mmarcotic

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
Hello, could you please disclose the brick texture that you are using? I tried it with noise preset on a 2m x 2m cube with min:-1, max:5 and I got pretty good results. I'm attaching my result.

To me it looks that the map is very gray overall, maybe try hooking the map into Corona Color Correct and amp the contrast up a bit.

Thanks,
Jan
« Last Edit: 2021-02-01, 11:10:41 by mmarcotic »
Learn how to report bugs for Corona in C4D here.