Author Topic: Threadripper 1950x workstation build, thoughts please.  (Read 6680 times)

2017-09-24, 16:26:41

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My PSU just died yesterday which got me worried about my mobo. It's the same age, 10 years. Wasn't the worst 10 years on the 1366 socket but time to upgrade to a big (ish) build. But I've outgrown the OC'd i7 980X.

I say (ish) because it's no dual zeon beast but my kidneys are fine where they are, thank you very much.

Questions in bold

What I have to recup from my build onto the new
What's in my overlockers basket
That's it.

The ram is also compatible with the X399. See here. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X399-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC.html#support-mem
Which is expandable to 128gb over the 8 dimm slots on the x399. When i have the €'s to do so.

My GPU setup will be upgraded when I feel the need or require it. Reason why I'm going for the 700watt PSU.

Screenshot of basket attached.

Again, questions are in bold and any general comments would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: 2017-09-24, 16:41:00 by 3dwannab »

2017-09-24, 18:28:03
Reply #1

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
With regard to cooling, from what I've seen unless you are manually OC'ing all 16 cores to 4ghz+ you'll do just fine with a standard AIO at stock speeds.

Slightly unrelated to your specific questions but have you thought about buying from Scan instead?

The 1950x is quite a bit cheaper over there: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-s-tr4-16-core-32-thread-34ghz-40ghz-turbo-40mb-64-lane-180w-cpu-retail

Personally, I'd also go overkill on the PSU, something like a 1KW+ EVGA or Seasonic gold or titanium (this can be re-used for future high power builds and those company's warranties are great, I believe EVGA does a 10 year warranty).

*edit* just noticed you are spending >£500 on the motherboard, why not go for a cheaper option like an ASUS PRIME X399-A at ~£290?
« Last Edit: 2017-09-24, 18:34:18 by agentdark45 »
Vray who?

2017-09-24, 20:46:19
Reply #2

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
With regard to cooling, from what I've seen unless you are manually OC'ing all 16 cores to 4ghz+ you'll do just fine with a standard AIO at stock speeds.
I was thinking that myself. I will be oc'ing once that dedicated 360 aio unit comes in.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/enermax-liqtech-tr4-360-cpu-water-cooler-360mm-hs-009-en.html

Slightly unrelated to your specific questions but have you thought about buying from Scan instead?
The 1950x is quite a bit cheaper over there: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-s-tr4-16-core-32-thread-34ghz-40ghz-turbo-40mb-64-lane-180w-cpu-retail
Thanks its around 100 euro cheaper on there than overlockers for everything except the ram. :)
See ss attached.

Personally, I'd also go overkill on the PSU, something like a 1KW+ EVGA or Seasonic gold or titanium (this can be re-used for future high power builds and those company's warranties are great, I believe EVGA does a 10 year warranty).
You're right, with my 100eur saving I'll just do that and go with a 1200w then have my ASUS ROG mobo which supports 4 way sli.
*edit* just noticed you are spending >£500 on the motherboard, why not go for a cheaper option like an ASUS PRIME X399-A at ~£290?
Like above 4 way sli vs 3 way for future proofing the build and my old mobo is an ASUS ROG which hasn't faulted in ten years. Basically the build quality as well would be better all round.

Would the GPU be compatible with that mobo. See the first thread question. The vendor is listed as MSI in that link. Surely there's no difference here?

Thanks for saving me some money... Beers on me.
« Last Edit: 2017-09-24, 20:52:19 by 3dwannab »

2017-09-24, 21:35:09
Reply #3

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/enermax-liqtech-tr4-360-cpu-water-cooler-360mm-hs-009-en.html

I was going to recommend that AIO, but I see it's not available anywhere...very annoying.

Like above 4 way sli vs 3 way for future proofing the build and my old mobo is an ASUS ROG which hasn't faulted in ten years. Basically the build quality as well would be better all round. [/font]

Would the GPU be compatible with that mobo. See the first thread question. The vendor is listed as MSI in that link. Surely there's no difference here?

Thanks for saving me some money... Beers on me.

I still think that motherboard is super overkill...I mean, there's no real need for 4 way SLI unless you are doing GPU rendering or mining, but even if you were there are much cheaper options available:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-x399-gaming-pro-carbon-ac-amd-x399-s-tr4-ddr4-sata3-triple-m2-4-way-sli-crossfire-gbe-wifi-usb-3

I've been using an X99 MSI motherboard in my Xeon build and it's been absolutely flawless (also running SLI Titan X's). I guess one thing to do would be to check reviews on how well equipped the motherboard in question is at overclocking, VRM cooling will be a big deal here with the 1950x.

GPU vendors have no bearing on motherboard compatibility at all, so you are good there!
Vray who?

2017-09-24, 23:25:55
Reply #4

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I was going to recommend that AIO, but I see it's not available anywhere...very annoying.
There's always one piece to the puzzle that you miss.

I still think that motherboard is super overkill...I mean, there's no real need for 4 way SLI unless you are doing GPU rendering or mining..
I plan on buying 3 more gtx 970s (probably used) and stick them in next year to try out gpu rendering. Which would be a good intro level to gpu rendering ;)
Maybe I just love the aesthetic of the mobo + I don't mind splurging out on the best possible mobo that's available and that I'm positive can handle any OC I can throw at it.

I guess one thing to do would be to check reviews on how well equipped the motherboard in question is at overclocking, VRM cooling will be a big deal here with the 1950x.

https://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2017/08/01082514467l.jpg
Pic of the one there is actually the prime but it's a great solution.

GPU vendors have no bearing on motherboard compatibility at all, so you are good there!
Thanks.

Right, now to buy buy buy.

2017-09-25, 02:33:25
Reply #5

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Really would like a QVL {qualified vendor list) for the ROGROG ZENITH EXTREME so i know RAM compatibility.

I jumped the gun and used the msi link in the first post as a starting point. So my 3000Mhz ram might only achieve 2666.

I've emailed them at ASUS to see.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-ZENITH-EXTREME/HelpDesk_QVL/
« Last Edit: 2017-09-25, 03:15:11 by 3dwannab »

2017-10-06, 11:38:59
Reply #6

tallbox

• Active Users
  • George Nicola
    • View Profile
    • Architectural Visualizations | TALLBOX
Hello, guys.
I am in front of the same way: Do I have to go with 1950x build or with this one:

I9-7900x (Clocked to 4.6 GHz)
ROG Strix X299
128 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666 Mhz (or better CPU with less memory)
Gtx 1060 6 Gb
I'm gonna' use all HDD's that I have now
Intel Optane Memory 16GB intel
Corsair 550W VS Power supply
CPU cooling Noctua NH-14S Ultra Quiet Performance
Thermaltake Ring RGB LED x3 fans
NZXT GRID+ V2 Fan controller

So I don't know where to go? Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Architectural Visualizations / Deep work practitioner
https://www.tallboxdesign.com

2017-10-10, 13:20:39
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Definitely stick to Threadripper tallbox.

The X299 platform is only worthy if you have the budget willing to splurge for the 18-core flagship. It does remain technically the superior platform (although with stupid chips gimping stemming from using TIM paste instead of soldering, forcing you to use overkill cooling solution if you want to get any overclock benefits).

For 95perc. of people, Threadripper wins in all aspects.

Regarding your components choice:

- Too low-end, low-wattage PSU. Both Intel X299 and AMD X399 platform are territory for SOLID, gold+ rated 750+ W PSU of reputable brand. This is not even debatable point where compromises can be made. You can go for cheaper non-modular unit for ugly cabling, but that's it.
Intel Optane is pure gimmick if you plan to use it to boost your storage drives. You would need way more than the 16GB for that. But if you intend to use it for System drive boost, don't bother either, and get regular SSD.

NH-14S is rather odd choice for this build. No reason not to go with NH-D15 (can be exchanged for solid CLC 3x120mm units, but nothing less if you go for water cooling)

You seem to make a lot of budget decision. Ignore X299 platform.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-10-28, 12:38:52
Reply #8

Peeter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Juraj,

I'm also interested in building a new workstation based on a Threadripper 1950X. Appart from the CPU, which specific components would you go for today?

I'd like to know about the following:

- Motherboard.
- PSU.
- RAM. Which one should I buy to get the maximum out of the CPU performance?
- SSD.
- GPU. (I already have a 1080ti from my old workstation so I would probably continue using it)
- Cooler.
- Box.

I also intend to put this workstation rendering together with my old one (5820k). How should I connect these two to make distributed rendering?

Huge thanks!

2017-10-28, 13:20:12
Reply #9

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
To be honest I was so swamped with work for past months that I barely read reviews for the barage of new components out there, esp. motherboards :- ).

But my tastes don't differ much so here is my general and generic advice:

-Motherboard: I am long time Asus fan that is quite clear :- ). Imho the best UEFI of all, and best packages of features. Slightly pricier than competitors though. Never buy more overkill boards than you might necessarily mean. I'll check which one has my most sympathies currently.
-PSU: Reputable brand, Gold+, 760W+. My personal favourite is the new Seasonic Prime series.
-Ram: Too many of them on market right now...all of them crazy overpriced. Best to make some excel chart to see where the diminishing returns occur. I would try to get some high-clocked/good-latency like 2933 but without going for RGB lights crap. Don't overpay...
-SSD: 500/512GB of nice PCI-E for feel good if you have the budget :- ) Like Samsung 960 Evo. If you don't....buy regular 850 Evo and don't feel bad at all. There is some new 850 (non-Evo/Pro) branded model coming out..alongside new 970 but doesn't matter yet.
- GPU: Nice one :- ) Definitely continue using it !

Cooler+ Box: Now this one depends together. Apparently the best air-cooler is Noctua U14S-Tr4 as the D15 wouldn't fit. For that, Fractal Define S or XL2.
If you'll water cooling on budget (close-loop system), definitely stick to 360mm systems (3x120mm fans). So stuff like Fractal Kelvin S360/Alphacool Eisbaer 360 (do they already have TR4 socket ?). Why ? Because 240mm are just not worth the noise penalty compared to air imho.
But with 360 rad you can't use Fractal XL2, so Define S fits the bill.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2017-10-29, 10:30:39
Reply #10

Peeter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you Juraj, I forgot to mention that I'm  on a budget.

What about this build?

- AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x 3.4GHz. 1019€.
- MSI X399 SLI PLUS or ASROCK X399 TAICHI (both of them are under 350€).
- Fractal Design Define R5. 123€. (the one that you mentioned is not available in the store where I'm purchasing the rest of the components. I prefer to buy all the stuff from the same place as they would build the workstation for me for very little money).
- PSU. Seasonic Prime Platinum 850W. 200€
- NOCTUA NH-U14STR4-SP3. 80€.
- SAMSUNG 960 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD PCI-e 500GB. 239€
- Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3200 PC-25600 2X16GB CL16. 419€. As you've already said, RAM is ridiculously overpriced so I intend to buy a couple of these to put them working together with the two that I already have.

TOTAL: 2430€.

What would you change of this build?

Thank you again!

2017-10-29, 10:56:23
Reply #11

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Nothing, looks perfect. Nothing budget about it :- )

2017-11-06, 20:02:19
Reply #12

Peeter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Last question on this,

How should I put a couple of workstations working together? I'm looking at some switches and prices vary from just 15€ to over 200€. Which aspects should I consider before buying?