Author Topic: Height Based Texture Blending  (Read 29102 times)

2019-11-18, 13:48:03
Reply #30

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Is this now possible with Corona? It would also be cool if decals can be projected on meshes as well. This is very easy in ue4. There are a lot of things ue4 does efficiently that would save time, need for huge texture sizes and render time overall.

2019-11-19, 11:55:38
Reply #31

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Anything (almost!) you can think of is possible with Corona and Max.

Example:

Video:

Scene:
Max 2020 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/srls5b5e779fvqf/vertex-blend.max?dl=1
Max 2017 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/srls5b5e779fvqf/vertex-blend.max?dl=1

Notes:
This is just a quick suggested workflow. I am sure there are better/easier/faster ways to do it.
You can blend between the materials and displacements separately.
You can show some of the mud in brick gaps.
You can show some of the bricks in the muddy areas.
You will have to use your own diffuse and displacement textures (and possibly other maps) because the ones I used cannot be shared.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-11-19, 16:25:33
Reply #32

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Thanks a lot Maru. I will try this out. If I do find other ways I will post back here :- )

2019-11-19, 23:37:37
Reply #33

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Here is another method using 3dsmax osl shaders:
feature=youtu.be

Thanks to Mads Drøschler :- )

2021-08-28, 08:33:58
Reply #34

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Chiming in to ask if there has been any significant development on this front?

I don't think it can be reasonably asserted (at this point) that the available solutions for height blending in 3ds Max / Corona Renderer are contemporary with respect to other render engines.

Looking over the provided examples, the solutions that exist for procedural height blending in 3ds Max / Corona Renderer are very complicated, cumbersome, and really echo a much older framework for shading / rendering, but it seems like the major obstacle is actually the implementation of displacement blending across materials in a layered material.

Is there some plugin or set of tools that operate within 3ds Max / Corona Renderer to facilitate layered material blending with displacement? To be sure, vertex paint is not a procedural solution and would not be appropriate for texturing multi-layered materials across a large surface.

P.S. the original post is from 2016!
Some day, in 5 years, where GPUs will be all powerful, real-time antialiasing and GI on same level as offline raytracing, it will be game over :- )
« Last Edit: 2021-08-28, 08:39:49 by cjwidd »

2021-08-29, 07:38:24
Reply #35

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I have rudimentary version of height-blending working, but adjustment, error-checking, etc. is pretty cumbersome.