Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 542636 times)

2024-02-22, 15:18:18
Reply #1485

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
@dfcorona

Do you feel the 7980X to be lot more fluent/smooth/responsive than 3990X in 3dsMax or 3dsMax/Corona IR ?

I am debating changing my older 3990X into "mobile" (lol) workstation, or making 7970/7980X into one.
I am spending some time in fairly remote locations these year and not even Star Link is fast enough for sending the volume of scene to my home render-farm, so I can't get by alone on laptop anymore again.

How did the G.Skill installation go, select DOCP and zero issues running at overlock?

I am wondering how responsive would something like 7970X (32-cores being less trouble-some for single-thread tasks) be if given like 500W+ of juice alone. 15W per core, no scheduler shenanigans, running 5Ghz all-core potentially :- )
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2024-02-22, 17:45:20
Reply #1486

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes I feel 7980x is much more snappy! I haven't tried with Corona yet, only the Benchmark. Yeah transferring with Star Link will take some time. 7000 series would probably be better for mobile than 3990x since it can be cooled better.

Just pulled the G.Skill 128GB kit out and replaced with 192GB kit.  BIOS is set only at defaults, ram is only running at 4800.  Even with that the system is fast, 34k with Corona.  Once I set ram to 6400 and OC I can't wait to see the performance boost.  I'm expecting 2x 3990x. But the 7980x machine is finishing out a job right now.

I would go just go with 7980x if you can, plus I think it cools better.

Once I get time to Benchmark the 3990x vs the 7980x I'll post some results.

2024-02-22, 20:18:16
Reply #1487

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I don't think you will see any dramatic boost :- ) Threadripper is already fastest at multi-threaded workflow with low-voltage memory. For example, 3990X stock (no PBO) can achieve 16 seconds easily with stock JEDEC 2400 MT/s memory. OC-ing to 3200 MT/s, lower timings, and upping the voltage to 1.35/1.4 will bring the score to 17 seconds :- ). So, slower. Really, the CPU isn't neither bandwidth nor latency limited with most multi-threaded tasks. Oppositely, fast memory is taxing on the IMC.

You will see massive benefits when gaming at 1080px ;- ). Fast memory is really mostly feel-good thing in benchmarks, zero difference in reality for almost everything. The only people who think it makes drastic difference to their lives are terminally online youtubers and redditors.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2024-02-22, 21:37:15
Reply #1488

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I know the CPU overclock is really where I'm going to see the performance boost, and probably looking at 20% increase in Corona.

2024-02-23, 13:12:47
Reply #1489

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Checked the 7970X temps, yeah that's not doing well. So putting that idea on ice.

Threadripper with 8-dies like the 64/96C is more reasonable choice. Your reported temps still seems fairly weird, I haven't see anyone report anything that low. How are you reading/measuring these?

2024-02-23, 14:54:27
Reply #1490

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Just for the sake of the debate but are we all perhaps too temp sensitive? Consumer chips go up to basically 90c and that is considered "ok". Should we perhaps treat Threadripper the same?

I mean I personally can't quite bring myself to think like that. Consumer chips technically aren't designed to run 24/7 plus server chips (Epycs and Xeons) tend to have lower max temp ratings. Still, I do wonder :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2024-02-23, 16:09:57
Reply #1491

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Oh I never cared for specific number. Laptops run for 105C for last decade and they do ("mostly") fine. At worst, you will shorten their lifespan from two decades to single decade..

With desktops, it's mostly about using the temps to gauge potential for additional performance (or silence).

But temps in fifties.. that's a bit miraculous :- ) 3990X/5990WX can run in 60s for simple multi-threaded tasks (like Corona rendering when not doing denoising or other demanding tasks). But mid-50s?
Maybe really good silicon lottery, or good room ambient (my room very quickly gets into 25C... even with all heating turned off and windows open in middle of December).

So the 7980X perhaps is really good chip in this regard and may easily eat lot more than stock 350.

But then the general temps I see on Reddit are quite bit worse in general compared to 3xxx and 5xxx series, which would make sense for Zen4 chips.

Threadripper and AMD in general always had issues with reporting accurate measurements with all the Tctl/Tdie and Offsets being taken into account differently by different applications. Ryzen Master vs HWiNfo vs HWMonitor, etc.

2024-02-23, 22:07:51
Reply #1492

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Checked the 7970X temps, yeah that's not doing well. So putting that idea on ice.

Threadripper with 8-dies like the 64/96C is more reasonable choice. Your reported temps still seems fairly weird, I haven't see anyone report anything that low. How are you reading/measuring these?

2024-02-23, 22:11:43
Reply #1493

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh I never cared for specific number. Laptops run for 105C for last decade and they do ("mostly") fine. At worst, you will shorten their lifespan from two decades to single decade..

With desktops, it's mostly about using the temps to gauge potential for additional performance (or silence).

But temps in fifties.. that's a bit miraculous :- ) 3990X/5990WX can run in 60s for simple multi-threaded tasks (like Corona rendering when not doing denoising or other demanding tasks). But mid-50s?
Maybe really good silicon lottery, or good room ambient (my room very quickly gets into 25C... even with all heating turned off and windows open in middle of December).

So the 7980X perhaps is really good chip in this regard and may easily eat lot more than stock 350.

But then the general temps I see on Reddit are quite bit worse in general compared to 3xxx and 5xxx series, which would make sense for Zen4 chips.

Threadripper and AMD in general always had issues with reporting accurate measurements with all the Tctl/Tdie and Offsets being taken into account differently by different applications. Ryzen Master vs HWiNfo vs HWMonitor, etc.
My experience is that most people do not setup good airflow and don't choose better cooling options.  I was always big on cooling, and my systems always ran cooler than most I have seen.

2024-02-24, 10:04:58
Reply #1494

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
@dfcorona may I ask what the all core turbo is when running say the Corona 10 benchmark for example?

2024-02-24, 20:25:25
Reply #1495

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@dfcorona may I ask what the all core turbo is when running say the Corona 10 benchmark for example?
The system is busy rendering right now, but once it's done I'll run it and post the results.

2024-02-27, 17:37:09
Reply #1496

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here you go

2024-02-28, 23:03:37
Reply #1497

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I did a OC on the 7980x today. Used Expo I which is equal to DOCP I it seems. Don't know if I like the temps though...

2024-02-29, 12:10:14
Reply #1498

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
700Watts at 95C degree is not bad at all with just AIO cooler :- ). So what performance did you gain?
You can try 600Watts manual limit.

2024-02-29, 15:34:02
Reply #1499

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Here you go

Very interesting, thank you!