Author Topic: Why is Redshift so popular?  (Read 49345 times)

2017-12-13, 09:29:36
Reply #45

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
@lupaz

Welcome to the party!

I didn't see self-contained GPUs except for those Thunderbolt boxes that are mainly for Macs / laptops. I presume you mean those?

Those are all fun and great but the box alone costs 400$ or at least I did a year ago so for me its a little too expensive :) I think its a life safer for all those people running Octane in C4D and are using Macs or laptops.

Without water cooling I prefer the open workbench for performance. Its basically a computer on a desk without the case. Gotta get rid of your cats, dogs and possibly children I suppose, don't want no short circuitry :P I'm not using that though because I like cats, dogs and children :)

Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2018-01-07, 13:24:36
Reply #46

surferdude

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I used both in 3dsmax, you can hardly compare these two products without understanding the fields where they operate. Corona render is a standard of architectural visualization!
Fastest Cpu render plugin and reliable on huge scenes, can easily setup as mentioned before (one click render), tons of premade materials and tutorials for Archviz.
One real competitor is - Fstorm (which is also oriented in Archviz-3Dsmax).

Redshift in another hand is a best choice for vfx, motion graphics, films. Fastest and reliable Gpu render plugin with great functionality, you can tweak almost everything what you need in almost every software.
But doesn't have enough premade materials, tutorials, pages or communities for 3dsmax.. "rocket science setup" in the eyes of Corona user.

Render legion should work in the direction of Gpu render, otherwise they will start to loose step by step to someone like Lumion.. One click render feature heh? How about one click project? :)
Instead of developing plugin for Cinema4d, you guys should go deeper into Sketchup.. adding more functionality for vfx only will harm your product. And let's be honest, its really hard to beat the titan like Redshift(GPU) in Cinema4d or Houdini.
Wish you will stay in Archviz field :)
« Last Edit: 2018-01-07, 13:35:49 by surferdude »

2019-08-05, 15:25:18
Reply #47

LP.

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I used both in 3dsmax, you can hardly compare these two products without understanding the fields where they operate. Corona render is a standard of architectural visualization!
Fastest Cpu render plugin and reliable on huge scenes, can easily setup as mentioned before (one click render), tons of premade materials and tutorials for Archviz.
One real competitor is - Fstorm (which is also oriented in Archviz-3Dsmax).

Redshift in another hand is a best choice for vfx, motion graphics, films. Fastest and reliable Gpu render plugin with great functionality, you can tweak almost everything what you need in almost every software.
But doesn't have enough premade materials, tutorials, pages or communities for 3dsmax.. "rocket science setup" in the eyes of Corona user.

Render legion should work in the direction of Gpu render, otherwise they will start to loose step by step to someone like Lumion.. One click render feature heh? How about one click project? :)
Instead of developing plugin for Cinema4d, you guys should go deeper into Sketchup.. adding more functionality for vfx only will harm your product. And let's be honest, its really hard to beat the titan like Redshift(GPU) in Cinema4d or Houdini.
Wish you will stay in Archviz field :)

Same thoughts here...Gpu plz!

2019-08-05, 15:46:59
Reply #48

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
I'd love to see some current hardware price / performance metrics.
A new Ryzen 3900x compared to a 500€ equivalent graphics card, like the RTX 2070.
My feeling being, that Corona and CPU rendering in general still holds the upper card or equals GPU rendering in performance per dollar.

I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2019-08-05, 17:16:33
Reply #49

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
I'd love to see some current hardware price / performance metrics.
A new Ryzen 3900x compared to a 500€ equivalent graphics card, like the RTX 2070.
My feeling being, that Corona and CPU rendering in general still holds the upper card or equals GPU rendering in performance per dollar.

I have no scientific measures to offer but Vlado (V-Ray) posted some benchmarks with V-Ray on some of the Evermotion scenes. In general without RTX a 1x 2080ti was about as fast as a 2990wx (Running the CPU renderer).

From my experience for "simpler" scenes the GPUs are just plain faster (perf per dollar wise!!), no way around it imho. For heavier scenes and tougher interiors I think the playing field evens out - Again, that is just my impression. Then again, I'm using Octane which is PT / PT while Corona is PT / UHD for interiors. V-Ray offers BF / LC on the GPU and Redshift can be as biased you want it to be. So I have no idea how that scales.

Generally speaking though, with Octane at least, if the scene is brutal for pathtracers then the field will equalize fairly quickly since Corona has the UHD cache going. Interiors aren't much of a problem imho but an interior with 100x semi glossy spheres and a crap ton of SSS... Well... Thats tough.

RTX appears to give anywhere from 1.2x to 2.2x of a speed boost in interiors given some of the example scenes I've seen. I haven't tested it out though. For exterior stuff it however apparently speeds things up to like 7x. Again, haven't tested it.

So yeah it is tricky to compare directly. Not only you got RTX and no RTX, you also have BF / PT / Caching to consider.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2019-08-05, 17:53:43
Reply #50

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I keep seeing people in the Fstorm Facebook page with hardware related problems (GPU). So it may also be fair to say that CPU is more stable (?).