Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 519988 times)

2019-06-21, 22:23:09
Reply #435

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Gorgeous.
I may have missed it, but did you mention the case brand and model? Is that the Define R6?

2019-06-21, 22:44:43
Reply #436

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Gorgeous.
I may have missed it, but did you mention the case brand and model? Is that the Define R6?

Hups, I am rather dumb :- D Lian-Li V3000. It's half bigger than Define R6, barely fits below table, but not as big as CaseLabs (and Thermaltake copy) are. Still very massive.

Previously it was in Define R5, but Define only support one slim radiator on top (420mm) and one semi-thick in front (280mm). Here I have two semi-thick 420mm and they don't heat up ambient.
When Zen2 Threadripper comes out, I will put the i9 back into Define R5 with above described loop, and put the new Zen2 TR into this Lian-Li case.

The i9 went on my nerves with noise. With NH-D15 it was quite loud for my tastes. So I needed water setup to not loose my nerves and decided to go big in preparation for the future.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-06-22, 16:46:04
Reply #437

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks.
I had a fractal design before and it was good, but ridiculously heavy.
Glad to see another brand that you recommend.

BTW, the last case I got was a Be Quiet. Don't recommend it. Not quiet at all in my opinion.

2019-06-23, 14:31:48
Reply #438

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
Hey guys, somebody on W10 1903 ?  i updated last week, but i don`t see any improvements to 2990wx performance...

Looking forward for next generation of Threadrippers later on this year. Seems like  EPYC lineup shows really great improvements https://wccftech.com/amd-epyc-rome-server-cpu-7nm-zen-2-price-specs-leak-64-cores-under-10k/  , completely destroying Intel in  performance/watt/price ratio.

Noemotion.net - www.noemotion.net
Peter Sanitra - www.psanitra.com
Noemotionhdrs.net - www.noemotionhdrs.net

2019-06-23, 20:00:00
Reply #439

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hey guys, somebody on W10 1903 ?  i updated last week, but i don`t see any improvements to 2990wx performance...

Looking forward for next generation of Threadrippers later on this year. Seems like  EPYC lineup shows really great improvements https://wccftech.com/amd-epyc-rome-server-cpu-7nm-zen-2-price-specs-leak-64-cores-under-10k/  , completely destroying Intel in  performance/watt/price ratio.

You should be happy the performance isn't worse :- D !

No, didn't notice anything either. Some sort of placebo watching the Utilization curves for single-thread benchmarks give me faint feeling that maybe there is some scheduling improvement...but I could just as well be making that up fully. No numbers for anything.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2019-06-24, 03:24:02
Reply #440

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Since I built the 2990WX for Veronika in October, never once the PC crashed. Upgraded to 1903 Windows build and voila, five Corona crashes finally following the most common BSOD (pfn_corrupt).

Dudes...let's all wait 1-2 more months ;- )

(And make sure you have latest UEFI and drivers)

(i9 and all Xeon servers work just fine though..)
« Last Edit: 2019-06-24, 03:28:53 by Juraj Talcik »

2019-06-24, 11:04:56
Reply #441

engiu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wait for new Ryzen?
So is it better to take an i9-7980xe? Paying 300/400€ more?

Sorry but I was going to order the components for the 2990wx, now I'm a little bit confused ;)

2019-06-24, 11:45:32
Reply #442

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
engiy@ I think Juraj meant wait with the 1903 Windows build, since it's apparently not yet working with the Threadripper.

But I might be wrong?

2019-06-24, 12:00:42
Reply #443

engiu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
engiy@ I think Juraj meant wait with the 1903 Windows build, since it's apparently not yet working with the Threadripper.

But I might be wrong?

I think you're right!

2019-06-24, 13:00:22
Reply #444

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

But I might be wrong?

I am not sure it was the lack of my MB drivers (or which ones), but reverting to 1803 solved all issues. All other PCs (lot of them), render correctly currently on 1903, no BSODs.
Just the 2990WX. It could be MSI MEG, not 2990WX the culprit, but after bit of googling, it looks like the 1903 despite being "May" update, is still not stable.

So my advice was just to wait before you update, or if you do update, don't delete your revert point :- ). Reverting fast 3 minutes, thankfully.

2019-06-24, 13:07:39
Reply #445

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Wait for new Ryzen?

Sorry but I was going to order the components for the 2990wx, now I'm a little bit confused ;)

Don't wait for anything, 2990WX is still great choice right now to buy.

With the Ryzen9, you would probably have to wait for the rumored x590 version of chipset to get good enough power cascade to overclock it. Also, it's dual-channel 4dimm slot platform. So you will be limited with 64GB of memory (at least until support for 32GB modules which Samsung started producing recently will become available. But that is 'when' and 'if' ).

i9 7980XE is absolutely not better chip, neither is any i9. I only have it because it came much earlier than Threadripper and I got good deal for it (I bought it half the price).

2019-06-24, 15:15:22
Reply #446

engiu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wait for new Ryzen?

Don't wait for anything, 2990WX is still great choice right now to buy.

With the Ryzen9, you would probably have to wait for the rumored x590 version of chipset to get good enough power cascade to overclock it. Also, it's dual-channel 4dimm slot platform. So you will be limited with 64GB of memory (at least until support for 32GB modules which Samsung started producing recently will become available. But that is 'when' and 'if' ).

i9 7980XE is absolutely not better chip, neither is any i9. I only have it because it came much earlier than Threadripper and I got good deal for it (I bought it half the price).

Ok, thank you.
I can't find the alpha version of the Motherboard Asus, is it better to take the Zenith Extreme (no Alpha) or the MSI Meg creation?

2019-06-24, 15:24:59
Reply #447

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Ok, thank you.
I can't find the alpha version of the Motherboard Asus, is it better to take the Zenith Extreme (no Alpha) or the MSI Meg creation?

Non-alpha, the original Zenith Extreme, not under any circumstances. You would have to buy additional 10 euro 40mm cooling fan kit Asus sells and it would look hilarious, and both VRM and chipset cooling would still be pretty bad.

If you don't want 4xGPU in future (in which case Aorus Xtreme is the only board that supports doing so), then MSI MEG. Reason why Alpha and MEG can't have 4 dual PCI-e slots is because those big VRMs don't fit even on regular E-ATX board together.

Where are you from ? There are plenty of Alphas on Amazon in US and EU when I checked at least. The 10Gbit onboard plus Asus UEFI (much nicer than MSI's...) are big benefits for going for Asus, but from hardware standpoint, MSI's VRM is still superior.

2019-06-25, 07:11:37
Reply #448

engiu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok, thank you.

Non-alpha, the original Zenith Extreme, not under any circumstances. You would have to buy additional 10 euro 40mm cooling fan kit Asus sells and it would look hilarious, and both VRM and chipset cooling would still be pretty bad.

If you don't want 4xGPU in future (in which case Aorus Xtreme is the only board that supports doing so), then MSI MEG. Reason why Alpha and MEG can't have 4 dual PCI-e slots is because those big VRMs don't fit even on regular E-ATX board together.

Where are you from ? There are plenty of Alphas on Amazon in US and EU when I checked at least. The 10Gbit onboard plus Asus UEFI (much nicer than MSI's...) are big benefits for going for Asus, but from hardware standpoint, MSI's VRM is still superior.

I come from Italy, for convenience, I was searching only in Amazon, now I found it in another marketplace! Thank you!

2019-06-25, 16:36:24
Reply #449

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Post a photo when you get it and start building :- ) It's great looking board.