Author Topic: Mental ray GPU ?  (Read 6872 times)

2014-07-09, 16:44:55

Alexp

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I found this http://blog.mentalray.com/2014/07/07/mental-rays-gpu-accelerated-gi-engine-prototype/

I dont know if its good idea or not, but any way are good news.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-09, 18:45:18 by abulimbre »

2014-07-09, 17:08:36
Reply #1

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I tried it, and it was truly terrible experience.

It's called new unified GI, and it can run also on CPU. The worst thing is that in CPU mode, they intentionally crippled performance of this new GI, because they can not admit that GPU company (nVidia) made a new GI that runs lot better on CPU than it does on GPU.

So when you turned on this new mode, but without GPU (cuda devices string set to 0), then it rendered incredibly slow, while your CPU usage was hanging around at 20-30%. After a month or so, they released Maya service pack, with MR for Maya plugin service pack, which supposedly fixed poor CPU utilization when using unified GI. When i tried it, rendertimes on CPU were EXACTLY the same, but CPU was running at 100%. So they basically just covered up the fact it was using almost no CPU power, but they still make it appear it is a lot slower than GPU version of it (which is still terribly slow, compared to Vray's Irradiance Cache on CPU for example ;) )

Also, since Corona forum is not a warez forum, there is no need for that hxxp:// BS ;) There would be no problem if they knew that link comes from here :)
« Last Edit: 2014-07-09, 17:22:07 by Rawalanche »

2014-07-09, 18:56:57
Reply #2

Alexp

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok, I can undertand. I only put the link for the new info. I never use MR. But allways when the word "GPU" apears all are very excitings (me too).
Im very confortable with my corona. Its easy, its fast and with very good quality.

Thanks for the GPU info

And.. I only put the hiden link for wariness, I did't know if you are agree or not.

cheers

2014-07-09, 20:40:08
Reply #3

Captain Obvious

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looks really lame.  The medieval thing took 37 minutes, which is not impressive in the least, and it's missing a lot of important GI.

2014-07-09, 22:25:50
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Really, quite unimpressive. Tons of limitations for slow and ugly result. Amazing.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!