Author Topic: Workflow Corona Framebuffer corrections to Photoshop  (Read 550 times)

2023-02-27, 09:32:04

Soluna

• Users
    • View Profile
Hey everyone :-)

First of all: I´m quite new to the Corona Renderer. I´ve been working with VRay for a few years and I know the workflow with VRay to "recreate" my image in Photoshop with the VRay Render Elements + Colour corrections from the VFB. Unfortunately I couldn´t figure out yet how that works with Corona. I was able to add my Render Elements in Photoshop with the blending mode set to "Add" but that still doesn´t take into account the changes I made in the Framebuffer (Contrast, Advanced Filmic Mapping, etc.). Unfortunately these changes are very essential to me cause they make my image look a lot better. I tried to recreate those changes with the native Photoshop tools but it simply doesn´t look as good as in the Framebuffer so that doesn´t really seem to be an option.

I really like the way VRay handles that where I can simply save my Colour Corrections as a .cc file and load that in Photoshop as LUT. Is there any way to do that with Corona?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Kind regards,

Soluna

Edit: I just found a different post where someone said that it´s better to do all the tonemapping in Photoshop. What I don´t understand is: Why do these adjustment options in the Framebuffer exist when you can´t use them for the final image?
« Last Edit: 2023-02-27, 09:51:36 by Soluna »

2023-02-27, 13:44:18
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
As you determined, this is not possible in Corona at the moment. The corrections exist in the VFB for those who do not want to have to use any third party post processing program, so that they can control the final look of their image right in the VFB, and save a final from that and boom, they are done. When you want to rebuild the layers in Photoshop for some more refined control, then the tone mapping needs to be done there in the post-processing software instead and what is in the VFB becomes kind of irrelevant, other than setting it for "quick previews" or "draft images".

You could post the "save tonemapping to some file readable by Photoshop" in the Feature Requests section, so that it can be added to our list of things we can consider for future development.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2023-02-27, 16:07:14
Reply #2

Soluna

• Users
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot for your answer! :-) That already helps me a lot with how things work in Corona. I´ll definitely post a feature request for this.

2023-02-27, 18:07:34
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Generally, in Corona we encourage doing all post-processing / tone mapping right in the Corona VFB without the need to split into render elements and compose in other software.

If you need to do it for some reason, then how about this:
- Disable all post processing / tone mapping in Corona VFB
- Save your render elements
- Compose in Photoshop, make any necessary adjustments
- Save your final result as EXR
- Load your EXR into the Corona Image Editor - https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4528237016721
You can then apply all Corona post-processing / tone mapping effects to your image just like in the Corona VFB.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-02-27, 18:55:45
Reply #4

Soluna

• Users
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot! That sounds like a good workaround for now! I´ll definitely try that out!