Author Topic: HDRI Rotation Painfully slow  (Read 3426 times)

2018-02-09, 21:59:52

Jvincentrs4

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Everyone,

I have a question I am using 3ds max 2017 and rotating a hdri map using either the vrayhdri or coronabit map is painfully slow. If i use a regular bit map it is not bad at all. I am using a PG hdri from series 2.

here are my machine specs incase that is the issue

Windows 10
proc_Dual Xenon E5v3 10 core 3.10
Vid_quadro K5000
ram_64gb
ssd_1tb

Thank you so much for any response.

J

2018-02-12, 13:56:29
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Do you mean the rendering/performance slows down when you are rotating the bitmap, or that the spinner is working slowly? (i.e. you would expect it to rotate the bitmap faster by dragging the mouse up/down?)

If it's about performance, then is this happening only in one specific scene, or in any scene, even very simple one?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-02-12, 17:26:19
Reply #2

Jvincentrs4

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Maru,

Thank you for the reply it happens when adjusting the spinner dragging up and down the lag is unearable which in return makes udjusting in IR super slow. This happens in all of my scenes but as I said only with a vrayhdri or the corona bitmap the regular max bitmap performs super fast.

I have tested on several scenes and have the same result I also apologize what I did not mention is I am using the latest nightly build. I have not tested going back to 1.7 to see if this works.

Thanks, J

2018-02-12, 17:47:34
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
This happens in all of my scenes but as I said only with a vrayhdri or the corona bitmap the regular max bitmap performs super fast
Let's take Vray HDRI out of the equation here, as we would love it to be fully supported, but right now using it is not advised. It can cause a few different problems.

If it's also happening with Corona Bitmap for you, can you post any scene where this is happening? It can be just the HDRI in an empty scene. We could then check if we are able to reproduce it.

2018-02-12, 18:24:11
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Doesn't happen for me here, performance with a Bitmap or CBitmap dropped into the Env slot of Max is the same (whether I use the U offset or Environ rotate parameter in the CBitmap). I'm using Max 2018, Corona 2 daily build from Feb 8th, dual E5 2690 ("v0").

Out of curiosity, do you get any slowdown for a CBitmap applied to an object and having its mapping adjusted? Or only when it is used as a Max Environment).
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-02-14, 20:22:00
Reply #5

Jvincentrs4

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey,

Guys I apologize was out of town for a few days. Is there a way I can send you the scene. I dont have anything special in the scene so can send the whole thing. I tried on a clean scene and have the same issue.

The adjustment of the HDRI is fine but as soon as i plug it into the environment slot its super slow.

Did a few test
1. This is not the case with other texture maps assigned to object.
2. Other corona textures assigned to the environment perform just fine.
3. Maybe a issue with the HDRI size? Using a peter guthrie HDRI but no issues when using a regular bit map.

Anyway thanks guys for all the help please let me know how i can send you the scene and will get that over to.

Best, J

2018-02-14, 20:29:25
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
https://corona-renderer.com/upload is usually best, just add a link to the forum thread when uploading so we know what issue it relates to :)

Thanks!
   Tom
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-02-14, 20:32:10
Reply #7

Jvincentrs4

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Tom,

Thanks so much let me upload that now. I appreciate all the help.

Thanks, J

2018-02-14, 20:39:43
Reply #8

Jvincentrs4

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Tom,

I uploaded the scene to using the drop box option

BossV2_Baked_01.zip is the scene name.

Thanks, J

2018-02-21, 13:28:14
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I checked this, and it's really odd.
In the file sent by Jvincentrs4 the Corona bitmap is super slow indeed. Just plug it into 3ds max enviro and change rotation. It looks like it's re-loading the file from disk each time this is done. In this file, if I load some different hdri file, it will be also very slow.
BUT if I create a new file, it's super smooth, even if I use exactly the same hdri file that is used in the reported scene.

This makes me believe it is related to the scene itself, maybe to the version of Corona in which it was made. It looks like it's 08.02 daily build. I am using the newest one (https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000570015).

Jvincentrs4, can you check if it's also slow for you if you create a new file using the newest build?

And I will check what happens if I save something using the older one.

Update: the slowdown is there only if the bitmap is loaded using 3ds max enviro, not when loaded into Scene > Use Corona

:S

Update 2: I tried hard, but I am not able to reproduce this, regardless of version saved and version rendered.
« Last Edit: 2018-02-21, 13:39:36 by maru »

2018-02-22, 18:26:59
Reply #10

Jvincentrs4

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys Let me make a new clean file. and I can check its a very strange one It was not a issue then it was.

Thanks so much for all the help and I will do whatever i can to help solve this.

Best, J