Author Topic: Setting up a renderfarm for Corona+Max Combo  (Read 644 times)

2024-01-30, 14:40:30

KotiDN

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi Guys, I wanted to setup a Renderfarm for Corona+Max combo. We are team of 8 using i9 machines at the moment. I came across these Xeon based servers, wondering if these are good specs for small size Renderfarm setup to further speedup.

DELL RACK SERVER R730XD
SPECS: XEON 12C/24T*2 CPU(24 CORE/48 THREADS)/128GB DDR4 ECC RAM/480GB SSD*2no/4TB*12no NAS HDD/RAIL KIT

Any experienced guys in setting up a renderfarm/ render server please?

2024-01-30, 18:53:17
Reply #1

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Hm hm, to be totally honest that looks like a previous gen Xeon and it's only got 12c per CPU which means it is probably slower than your i9 (if you're using something like a 13900k).

Really depends on the type of output you're aiming for and the price of the machines but to be honest I'd probably look for something more powerful as typically, with many less powerful nodes, space / heating / electricity starts becoming a problem.

But imho it really depends on how much rendering you want to do, how fast you want it and whats the price of the thing :)

At first glance I'd say you might be better off with racking a couple of 7950x / Intel equivalents with something like a Silverstone RM41 or slimmer.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2024-02-13, 15:10:50
Reply #2

KotiDN

• Users
    • View Profile
That make total sense, Thanks a lot Nejc. I was only looking at the server rack as I was getting them cheap, but this should be better. Could explain a bit more on what do you mean by slimmer? some more info please?

2024-02-14, 09:14:43
Reply #3

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Oh I just meant that if you want to do have rack closet type of a setup then something like a Silverstone RM41 case might be a little thick (it is a 4U case IIRC) and if you want to fit more of them into the rack you can go with slimmer sizes like 3U or 2U.
Personally I currently have 3 render nodes + 1 WS (all in desktop cases) and I'm sort of already running out of space in my office - so if I went with a rack setup I could stack all of the cases on top of each other basically.

That said with 5+ machines you then also have to deal with a lot of heat output not to mention electricity costs lol.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us