Significantly faster DOF (Depth of Field) rendering
25 (5.2%)
Sketch/Toon/Stylized shader
31 (6.5%)
Dedicated CarPaint Shader
7 (1.5%)
Dedicated fabrics shader
27 (5.6%)
Lightmix extended to materials, textures, ...
31 (6.5%)
Interactive rendering in 3ds max viewport (with gizmos, object selection, manipulation, ...)
17 (3.5%)
Rendering memory usage improvements
16 (3.3%)
Speed of rendering improvements
44 (9.2%)
Speed of interactive rendering improvements specifically
32 (6.7%)
GPU/Hybrid rendering
92 (19.2%)
Stability improvements (bug fixes)
12 (2.5%)
Improvements to caustics
23 (4.8%)
Thin film/coating shader
5 (1%)
Parsing performance optimization (e.g. for animations)
40 (8.3%)
New and better frame buffer (docked and floating)
24 (5%)
Further improvements to Chaos Scatter
15 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 184

Author Topic: The most wanted feature?  (Read 550394 times)

2023-08-31, 20:08:53
Reply #1095

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
And further improvement of CoronaPattern with the ability to scale samples
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=37437.msg202945#msg202945

If you mean the ability to randomize the scale of the pattern nodes (and other transformations), then this is already logged as well.
If you mean something else, please explain. I could not find the keyword "scale" in the thread you linked.

(Internal ID=1194718655)

I'm sorry, maybe the link was attached incorrectly, this is the first post on the 8th page of the thread, there is an explanation with two attached images, you can find the word "overlapping". 

Without touching on the issue of randomization, I requested a simple scaling of the pattern for overlapping, this will allow you to create seamless weaves without a long cropbox setup.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that this improvement is easy to implement in terms of code, but it will allow you to use the geopattern with such efficiency as never before

I will attach those explanation images one more time so you can find it

I also mentioned there the ability to save UVs for both the pattern and the base object, which will be useful when creating fabrics and carpets

2023-08-31, 23:32:54
Reply #1096

Vlad_the_rant

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Vladimir
    • View Profile
I'm frankly baffled by the VFB improvements being among the least popular choices.
The VFB has been clunky and bugged since about forever, a rewrite in QT for it is supposedly in the works but what is the point of a yet another tiles map (and there are at least 2 I can think of off the top of my head - the regular tiles and the Bercon Tiles) when you're still going to have to fight the buggy and slow VFB to actually see it?

Cryptomatte? What the hell for? Corona is an arch/product viz renderer first and foremost and all the other uses are secondary (and that means all the VFX stuff you'd actually need something like comprehensive mattes for).

You are supposed to get a final image straight out of the VFB, saving you tons of time of compositing and screwing around in post. You want to do post compositing? Use Vray as THAT is its primary function and it's specially designed for VFX work with other uses being more of a bonus than a purpose.

GPU/CPU Hybrid? I understand that most who use Corona think their PCs are like toasters and have no clue on how neither software nor hardware either works or is made, replacing the whole thing if it breaks and calling on some bored IT technician to fix stuff when replacement is not an option, but it has been said many times over and I'll say it again:

To make Corona compatible with GPUs it would require literally making Corona over entirely, from scratch, to run on GPUs. This means years of work, and a whole legion of bugs for another year or so after before it actually becomes properly useful.

Again - you want hybrid rendering? Say hello to... you guessed it... Vray. Oh, and that took something like 4 - 5 years to get GPU rendering ALMOST on par with CPU rendering.

Sorry for the rant but it's disheartening to see so many not getting these things...

2023-09-01, 05:14:18
Reply #1097

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I will try to give a reply to your points with either guessing or speaking from my perspective - which might not align with the arch/viz crowd.

I like the idea of getting a complete final image straight from 3ds max complete with everything correct looking like motion blur, clean DOF, smoke, mist and everything, and in post maybe only doing small retouching and color correcting, but that's still a dream at this point. We will get there at some point, but not today or at least not for most complex projects.

We have tons of renderers for 3ds max, maybe the most of any dcc, Corona is among the famous ones perhaps because of the ease of use or the quality of lighting and so on. I saw complex films, advertising and so on made with Corona, but Corona can be very slow for video or for very high res stills of complex scenes.
  Passes, cryptomatte and so on can be good tools to avoid re-rendering.

I got the message years ago that it's hard to code a renderer for GPU and it can have more limits than the CPU counterpart. But there are at least 3, 4 or more renderers which manage to be a hybrid - rendering simultaneously with cpu and gpu. I'm imagining that people look at these renderers and wish the same capability for their favorite renderer Corona.
There are some renderers which manage to produce an identical image regardless if you use CPU, GPU or CPU+GPU.

Plus as time goes by more and more people have very powerful graphic cards in their computer, maybe even 2 or 3. For different reasons, gaming, help with davinci resolve, Premiere, particle simulations and many other programs which increasingly demand more and more gpu power. So we have these cards installed in the computers - at our disposal, they produce a lot of heat, use a lot of power, and for nothing. Corona doesn't use them at all.
  At least it would be nice if Corona would use some gpu. A few years ago someone from Corona replied here that glow, bloom, glare and other post process effects could easily be calculated on the gpu. But I wonder if at least those are implemented yet in Corona ?

2023-09-01, 16:49:31
Reply #1098

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm frankly baffled by the VFB improvements being among the least popular choices.
The VFB has been clunky and bugged since about forever, a rewrite in QT for it is supposedly in the works but what is the point of a yet another tiles map (and there are at least 2 I can think of off the top of my head - the regular tiles and the Bercon Tiles)

Bercon tiles, although I still use it frequently, crashes Max when changing setting or even moving the UVs in IR. Just FYI.
Also Bercon tiles seems to be unnecessarily complicated and I'm hoping to see a "Corona way" of solving the problem, which was always very intuitive and simple.

2023-09-01, 17:17:36
Reply #1099

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
@marchik - CPattern overlapping and many more requests are already logged in our internal system and here is what happens next: https://blog.corona-renderer.com/behind-the-scenes-the-corona-renderer-development-process/
here is a message listing what was logged: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=37437.msg202923#msg202923 
and another one here: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=37437.msg202256#msg202256
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-09-01, 19:38:19
Reply #1100

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@marchik - CPattern overlapping and many more requests are already logged in our internal system and here is what happens next: https://blog.corona-renderer.com/behind-the-scenes-the-corona-renderer-development-process/
here is a message listing what was logged: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=37437.msg202923#msg202923 
and another one here: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=37437.msg202256#msg202256

thanks, glad we have such a responsive development team!

2023-09-08, 12:47:41
Reply #1101

JoachimArt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JoachimArt
Maybe should add Chaos Vantage support as part of the vote feature request list :) I think a lot of people hope for that feature in the future.

2023-09-08, 12:52:09
Reply #1102

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I hear mention of Vantage now and then, but I didn't get an answer when I last asked this question: everyone is aware that it is a paid product now, and costs roughly $600 a year? So when you say you want Vantage compatibility, you are saying you would be willing to pay that?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2023-09-08, 12:55:05
Reply #1103

JoachimArt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JoachimArt
I hear mention of Vantage now and then, but I didn't get an answer when I last asked this question: everyone is aware that it is a paid product now, and costs roughly $600 a year? So when you say you want Vantage compatibility, you are saying you would be willing to pay that?

Yes I mean I would love to be able to use Vantage, but for that I need to switch to Vray. But I love the Corona renderer and think its sad that I forced to consider to switch to Vray to get fast gpu rendering for the less high quality rendering jobs that could be done faster. So, answer is yeah I would definately pay for vantage if I could have it with corona support.

2023-09-08, 13:20:18
Reply #1104

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for the reply! I'd love to hear from others too, so do please chime in :) While in development Vantage was free for a while, and I just want to be sure that people expressing an interest realize that has changed, as in order to consider whether or not to add that compatibility, we need to know that people are aware that it is now a paid product.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2023-09-08, 13:27:01
Reply #1105

JoachimArt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JoachimArt
Personally I think adding support for Vantage would be a perfect way to integrate peoples wishes for GPU rendering, since that has been high on the list but is a humongous task to make. Because in many cases one doesn't need to render perfect unbiased path tracing for every job, with vantage support, one has the option to choose - so it would sort of give Corona that GPU feature. And perhaps it could have been added as Premium offer for a higher price to have corona AND Vantage same way you now have Phoenix. (for cinema 4D users that would have been a more appropriate package, since they don't even have Phoenix)

2023-09-08, 13:55:33
Reply #1106

Marijan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Personally I think adding support for Vantage would be a perfect way to integrate peoples wishes for GPU rendering, since that has been high on the list but is a humongous task to make. Because in many cases one doesn't need to render perfect unbiased path tracing for every job, with vantage support, one has the option to choose - so it would sort of give Corona that GPU feature. And perhaps it could have been added as Premium offer for a higher price to have corona AND Vantage same way you now have Phoenix. (for cinema 4D users that would have been a more appropriate package, since they don't even have Phoenix)

+1

2023-09-08, 17:27:41
Reply #1107

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure you haven't just heard people asking for it "now and then" since we've been asking for it all the time and everywhere. But it seems you guys don't want to make that move. Just Make a poll. Try to reach most people with it and you'll find out Vantage and GPU rendering are the most wanted feature.

I personally had to move back to V-Ray GPU/Vantage after getting a 4090 and the difference in speed is massive. It's just on another level. I do prefer Corona's more straight forward workflow and UI, but at this point in time that's all it has to compete. V-Ray development is way faster, GPU rendering is way faster, and now you have Vantage compatibility.
« Last Edit: 2023-09-08, 18:31:05 by Basshunter »

2023-09-08, 17:51:45
Reply #1108

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You haven't just heard people asking for it "now and then". We've been asking for it all the time everywhere. But it seems you guys just don't want to make that move. Make a poll. Try to reach most people with it and you'll find out Vantage and GPU rendering are what most need.

Take it easy tiger.

@Tom
I think it's true it would be best to have a separate survey for that. Personally, I can't imagine myself using it and it would take lots of corona team's resources that I'd rather see invested on other things. I don't do animations at all and I think it's the same for the majority of the userbase. Just a hunch.

2023-09-08, 18:29:32
Reply #1109

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm sorry for sounding rude. I don't want that.

It's frustrating though how little attention this feature is been given by the team despite the frequent requests from the users
« Last Edit: 2023-09-08, 18:38:42 by Basshunter »