Author Topic: is it necessary to increase the displacement size as the image size increases?  (Read 4582 times)

2020-12-02, 11:39:33

Luke

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • LC3D
Just curious if it is necessary or advisable to increase the displacement size as the image size increases?

I've been having trouble rendering an 8k image, which just crashes when calculating displacement... I've enabled 2.5D and after upping the value from default 2 to 4 it seems to have got through it and is now rendering...

I'm running a TR3970 w/ 128Gb Ram which I would think was plenty? the scene also seemed to render ok with the default settings at 5k...?

2020-12-02, 11:51:49
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
With 2.5D I am frequently rendering 8K images even with 1px size with no issue, never even touching above 60GB I believe. With previous disp method, that was impossible, 3px was the highest for such resolution and precomputation took forever.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-12-02, 12:10:06
Reply #2

Luke

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • LC3D
With 2.5D I am frequently rendering 8K images even with 1px size with no issue, never even touching above 60GB I believe. With previous disp method, that was impossible, 3px was the highest for such resolution and precomputation took forever.

Any suggestions as to what might be going on? I've rendered other angles from the same scene at 5k without issue, but the last one they want at 8k just crashes everytime...
I've changed the secondary GI to Path Tracing and enabled 2.5D and upped it to 4 which has seemed to get it going... but I haven't seen the result yet so not sure if it's going to be okay...

it's just an exterior townhouse scene, forest pack, basic brick and render townhouses...

2020-12-07, 19:04:35
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Can you contact us about this at https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new and send us the scene? (or a part of it)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-01-27, 13:07:32
Reply #4

Bjoershol

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I just had a similar problem trying to render an image at 6048x4024, where Corona would crash or give an error message while calculating displacement.

Rendering at 3024x2012 solved the problem - but I'm wondering what is the reason for the big difference trying to render a pretty modest resolution?

edit - not even sure how to read the number in the error message below, but I have 128 GB ram which should be plenty. :)

« Last Edit: 2021-01-27, 14:11:49 by Bjoershol »

2021-01-27, 14:37:22
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I just had a similar problem...

Can you contact us about this at https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new and send us the scene? (or a part of it)
;)

2021-02-04, 15:38:54
Reply #6

Bjoershol

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Maru, I was unsure if I could send the model - but I realized what the problem is.
I was displacing a 576.000.000 m2 terrain at rendertime, at 1 px subdivision quality.

So... that might be why. :)

2021-02-05, 16:58:48
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I can imagine that working perfectly fine, depending on the output resolution.
For screen-space displacement it doesn't make any difference if you are displacing a 1x1m or 100x100km plane.