Author Topic: Any advice on choosing a good SSD  (Read 2749 times)

2020-11-28, 02:07:49

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a new SSD for my assets library (Textures, models) and ongoing projects in an effort to get better performance when working with Max. Past projects and the rest of my stuff will keep stored in my HHD.
So I basically have 3 questions:

1) In your experience, would 1tb be enough?
My current asset library is 600GB but I'm just thinking about the future.

2) Does it worth to store 3d model and textures on the SSD or just the textures?
I mean, will I get any improvement when merging 3d models if they're stored in the same SSD compared to merging them from another HDD?

2) Is a SATA III model a good option?
Something like the 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SATA III Internal Solid State Drive

Any advice will be appreciated.
« Last Edit: 2020-11-28, 03:58:13 by Basshunter »

2020-12-02, 10:21:52
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
SSD is always better, for everything, in everything and under every situation :- ).

But it's also true that 3dsMax has IO/System bottleneck, 1GB project will still take easily a minute to open, despite SSD reading it within second.

I would already strongly prefer PCI NVMe drives compared to SATA ones because their random read, low queue depth and 4k performance is simply surpassing the SATA, so they are beneficial for something like assets (textures,etc..) in particular.

If you are thinking about future, then 1TB is not enough.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-12-04, 02:15:34
Reply #2

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the answer.