Author Topic: Imitating Clo3d; Puckering normal maps overlaying  (Read 1104 times)

2023-01-11, 12:09:00

wilbertvandenbroek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, I'm having trouble fixing something in translation from Clo to 3ds max. In Clo you have something called Puckering. You can see it in the attached screenshot. It works as a normal map without any diffuse or whatsoever. With one puckering texture I can add it to 3 different garment patches and it works. The materials seem to sort of overlay the normal in Clo.

In max however I don't have this option. As you can see in the render and the slate editor, the puckering is separate material in the multi/sub-object using a white diffuse. I need this to match the color of the object beneath it. The first thing that comes to mind is plugging the multi sub-object in a blend shader but that isn't supported. I tried different options with blending of maps, but because I want to automate this setup in the future I really need this one normal to apply to the whole underlying object.

If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks.
« Last Edit: 2023-01-11, 14:08:00 by wilbertvandenbroek »

2023-01-11, 14:00:28
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I'd just put the puckering normal into all the other materials and delete that layer, which is what you mention, to have one normal apply to the whole object (by appearing in every material) - but I don't think there is a way to automate that (unless it can be written in Maxscript)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2023-01-11, 14:07:38
Reply #2

wilbertvandenbroek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Tom thanks for the reply, unfortunately the incoming mesh has a specific unwrap uv's per material, so adding the normals to each material would result in the map being stretched across the entire fabric instead of just on the small mesh strip that has the correct uv's to display the puckering.

2023-01-11, 15:54:40
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Check if the puckering mesh has second UV channel with UVs from underlying fabric. If there's no such channel, you will need to create it yourself by projecting UVs from main fabric mesh. Then use rayswitch material for puckering mesh to prevent unwanted shadowing.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-01-16, 13:44:47
Reply #4

wilbertvandenbroek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Interesting solution Romullus. I'm going to look into it. We also now are trying to see if we can recognize the closest underlying object and then match the materials.

2023-01-17, 22:46:43
Reply #5

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Disregard, misunderstood the issue.

Hmmmmmm so is the problem is that you want to blend the two normals(puckering and cloth texture) you have together correct? If that is indeed the issue, I would try plugging in your puckering normals texture into the base bump slot and then add the cloth texture normals into the additonal bump slot with another corona normal map.

or you could try experimenting adding the cloth's texture normals into the clearcoat layer bump. with a bit of finesse and shifting around roughness/IOR amounts I think that might do the trick.
« Last Edit: 2023-01-17, 22:51:59 by mferster »

2023-01-17, 23:57:15
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I would try plugging in your puckering normals texture into the base bump slot and then add the cloth texture normals into the additonal bump slot with another corona normal map.

I would never thought that this could work, but i gave it a try just for fun and it actually does work! The results are much better than usual overlay blending that i used to use for this. How cool is that?! Thanks for the great trick! :]

2023-01-26, 11:04:55
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Romullus, this is actually a super interesting trick! We will add it to our Normal map guides. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-01-26, 11:24:42
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
The credit goes to mferster :]

I remember some years ago i participated in a discussion in the forum about better multiple normal maps blending, i guess this trick solves the issue perfectly.