Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] Tutorials & Guides

OFFICIAL Q/A: sRGB, gamma, color pickers, linear workflow, ...

<< < (2/6) > >>

astudio:
Does it mean that my 50%grey photoshop texture I nead to load with gamma override 1.0 to have visually same 50%grey texture in render? (sorry, that I ask for such oversimplified answer).

OR. Do i need to load my texture Automatic (recomended) and 3dsmax will translate it to linear by itself?

Ondra:

--- Quote from: astudio on 2016-11-14, 02:26:22 ---Does it mean that my 50%grey photoshop texture I nead to load with gamma override 1.0 to have visually same 50%grey texture in render? (sorry, that I ask for such oversimplified answer).

OR. Do i need to load my texture Automatic (recomended) and 3dsmax will translate it to linear by itself?

--- End quote ---
Asking simple questions is OK, it is actually the best way to resolve this. The answer is: NO. It will look the same when you load in max with default settings (which is removing gamma 2.2)

When you save 127 (50% grey) texture in .jpg and load that in 3dsmax, gamma will be removed. The texture will become 21% grey in linear. You render that, 21% of energy hitting the surface will be diffusely reflected. The surface will render looking 21% grey in linear color space, but then gamma will be applied back, resulting in 50% grey in sRGB that you see in frame buffer, same as your input.

tl;dr:
jpeg on input is always sRGB
pre-linear workflow: load sRGB -> compute in sRGB -> display sRGB -> WRONG result (you cannot compute in sRGB
linear workflow: load sRGB -> remove gamma -> compute in linear -> add gamma -> display sRGB -> CORRECT result

astudio:
Thank you. Now it's really clear.

Let's over to displacement map. (I don't ask about normal map for now)

1. As I understand, we load it with gamma override 1.0, if we get it from trusted source like Megascans.
2. If we just draw it in photoshop, or render it from z-buffer and store it as jpg we must load it as sRGB.
3. If we store it in exr we load it with gamma override 1.0.
4. Is there a way to know a gamma of image from unknown sourse (jpg, png, tif).

PS. I have a feeling that I'm the only stupid user in this forum, but I'm sure that it will useful for all of us. The problem is that there are  a lot of different terms for same thing, and same term for different things (especially in optics). I just want to avoid inaccuracies.

romullus:
#2. no, you have to load displacement with gamma 1, if you want that it work in the same way as you painted it in photoshop.

maru:
Remember that one way to find out whether an image, such as displacement or bump map, is loaded with correct gamma or not is simply eyeballing it. Here is an example: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,12932.msg83635.html#msg83635

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version