Author Topic: Working via distance  (Read 6558 times)

2017-04-23, 12:09:20

Bronxes Studio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi everyone, the summer vacations are coming in a few months and i am really curious if anyone has find a way working far away from the office with the hardware of the office and if this is even possible. In other words i want to say if there is any other alternative to teamviewer because teamviewer is really slow and with bad resolution, someone told me about VPN connection, have you ever tried something like that? Also, have you ever tried a cloud server for your files, is it fast for having there your library and your files? and last thing, is it possible to render distributed like as it is in a LAN but from your laptop and your office hardware via internet? Thanks a lot guys, i think these asnwer could help everyone have a good time :), Cheers!

2017-04-24, 06:03:05
Reply #1

Freakaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Website

2017-04-24, 09:37:40
Reply #2

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
For my remote desktop services I use Splashtop and I can recommend it to anyone who needs an alternative to Teamviewer. It is really great and fast - and cheap (not free though).

I have used Hamachi before for my remote distributed rendering and it was working ok with C4D + Vray. Not sure how it would work with Corona, but I guess there should be no problems at all since it works natively with Teamrender. Maybe I am wrong so you might talk about it with some staff members.
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2017-05-02, 17:56:06
Reply #3

Jann

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I Use https://anydesk.com/remote-desktop as a much faster alternative of the teamviewer.
Thank you for this!
Was getting very crappy behavior from Teamviewer recently, and this just flies in comparison :)

2017-05-02, 18:11:23
Reply #4

zules

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGINEER
Hi,

i'm also trying to set this production pipeline.

First, I bought a Dell laptop 9550 able to handle some great 3D files, but also to render some pics in low res to test.

Second, is having your assets & projects files on a server or NAS, with WAN access.

Third, imo, is organising your assets into proxies into library in .max or .c4d files. This allow you to have large amout of assets in small size of .max/.c4d  files.
Then, when you merge them into your scene on your laptop far away on a trip, you basically download small proxies instead of heavy poly objects to merge them into your project, from your server / NAS.

Fourth, you will need a VPN to connect under security to your internet/server at your office.
Basically, your box/server allow you to enter a LAN network through a secured VPN connexion.
I'm actually facing this hard part : how to handle IP adress of LAN nodes, into a distant laptop into Max through a WAN connexion.... :D

Fifth, I think you need to set a FTP folder to save your final renders, then add it like a network drive onto your laptop (or through VPN ?) to easily get access to it.

I think in this way, you don't need a strong internet WAN line with optic fiber or high transfer, because you just send into rendering light .max / .c4d files, connecting to your assets on your LAN through proxies before rendering.
You just need to download then render elements, so less than a Gigoctet for a still pics in 4K.

Looking for somenone who can validate or correct my thinking !

JG

Jules GAILLARD

www.imagineer.fr

2017-05-02, 23:40:43
Reply #5

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I Use https://anydesk.com/remote-desktop as a much faster alternative of the teamviewer.

Thanks! Very nice.

2017-05-03, 08:49:43
Reply #6

srikken

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm working for a long time on both my laptop (when at clients) and desktop. And it works perfectly.
Before I used Onedrive but now I have my own synology.

You just have to make sure the folders and files are on the same place on both computers, like:
D:onedrive/work/scenes
D:onedrive/work/renderoutput

I use chrome remote control, to work from my laptop on my desktop.
Create the scene on my laptop, save, wait for it to appear on my desktop, open & render.

2017-05-10, 15:10:38
Reply #7

Bronxes Studio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there, sorry for my late reply, i was trying to get some answers but unfortunatelly came with the oldschool teamviewer or vpn connection which they are pretty slow...
Althought what you have mentioned with the onedrive situation, if i understand well, is super! :)
So you say that making the same folders on one drive in your laptop and in your workstation keeps the same paths? so you can directly open it via distance? without the download situation? Thanks!

2017-05-15, 11:32:06
Reply #8

srikken

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So you say that making the same folders on one drive in your laptop and in your workstation keeps the same paths? so you can directly open it via distance? without the download situation? Thanks!

Yes correct, but they must have the exact same path, so the disk letter should also match.
Onedrive will then sync everything. You just need to be sure everything (that is connected to the scene) is sync before opening it.

2017-05-19, 10:49:12
Reply #9

zules

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGINEER
Hi there, sorry for my late reply, i was trying to get some answers but unfortunatelly came with the oldschool teamviewer or vpn connection which they are pretty slow...
Althought what you have mentioned with the onedrive situation, if i understand well, is super! :)

If you dont know how it really work, I advise you to go deeeper into network drives & how a network/path etc work to win some time in the setting ;)
Jules GAILLARD

www.imagineer.fr

2017-06-18, 16:05:04
Reply #10

fkoehler

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What do you guys have against the free and native RDP from Windows? It works super fine for me, even over the internet. Only drawback is to have fixed IP in the remote machines.

Cheers