Author Topic: Workstation upgrade and Render node  (Read 7372 times)

2017-02-24, 00:35:27

RJB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I've recently started freelancing with Corona and while my main workstation is holding up ok I would like to speed things up by upgrading my workstation and also purchasing a separate render node.

I'll start with the workstation, generally it's not bad but I find I reach a point in the project quite early on where things start to slow down when navigating the model. Usually after adding one or 2 Forest Pack objects for example. The weakest link I can identify is the graphics card, I'm prepared to drop some decent money on a good replacement but I am yet to find a definitive answer for the workstation vs consumer graphics card debate..

Here are the specs for my machine if anyone can see any other issues.

CPU - Intel Core i7 4770
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 MB
Graphics - GeForce GTX760 Overclocked
Memory - 4x 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA III

I saw today that the GTX 1080 Ti release date was announced today, I'd be happy to drop that sort of money if anyone can convince me it will be worthwhile..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With regards to the render node I am opting for a Xeon based system for stability as I will be running it flat out around the clock, I have had a spec sheet put together by a local company. These guys are great but I don't think they have specific 3ds experience so if anyone can see any issues with the build I'd be very grateful for any input.

2x  CPU - Intel Xeon E5 2630 v4 (Base:2.20GHz,Boost:3.10GHz / 25MB / LGA2011-3 / 10 Core / Without Fan/Heatsink)
2x CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U9DX i4 Xeon CPU Cooler, compatible with Intel Socket LGA: 2011, 1366, 1356
Motherboard - Intel S2600CW2R MB, Socket R3, Intel C612, 16x DDR4 ECC RDIMM/LRDIMM, 4x PCIE3.0 x16, 10x SATA3, 7x USB, VGA, SSI EEB, Dual GBLAN
Graphics - ASUS GeForce GT 710 Silent (954MHz), 1GB DDR3 (1800MHz), PCI-E 2.0, Heatsink, DVI, HDMI, VGA, Low profile
Memory - Kingston 8GB (1x8GB) PC4-17000 (2133MHz) ECC Buffered DDR4, CL15, 1.2v, Single Stick
SSD - Intel 120GB SSD, 540s Series, SATA III, Read up to 560MB/s, Write up to 480MB/s
Case - Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Black ATX Case, No PSU, 10 Colour Ambient Lighting Controller, Water Cooling Support, 2x USB3, 2x USB2, Front Audio
Power Supply - EVGA 650W SuperNOVA G1 Modular Power Supply, 80 PLUS GOLD, 4 x PCI-E, 9x SATA, 6x Molex

Thanks in advance!

2017-02-24, 01:07:04
Reply #1

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
I suggest you to wait the new AMD CPU and real benchmark.
Maybe it will be more convenient to build an AMD WS. We will see soon.

2017-02-24, 07:59:39
Reply #2

Max

• Active Users
    • View Profile
One stick of 8 GB Ram would be kind of a downgrade, don't you think? You'd need at least one for each processor socket if you choose to go the double processor way.
Also, your processors have a TDP of only 85W each, so a NH U12DX i4 would be sufficient.
Your chosen PSU would likely not work with a dual xenon setup, since it only has one CPU connector. PCIE connectors are not the same. Get one like the EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 instead.

2017-02-24, 13:21:41
Reply #3

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
Each Xeon has four memory channels so for optimal memory performance you want 8 identical memory sticks.

2017-02-28, 11:02:43
Reply #4

RJB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the help guys, good to know about the ram requirements for the Xeons obviously the system builder missed that so you saved me a giant pain in the A. Also they picked up on the PSU and have chosen something that is compatible.

In selecting ram for this, considering the main function will be rendering, would you suggest going for max amount of ram in each slot or can I get away with around 4GB sticks?

For my workstation I really just want to upgrade the graphics card, was just wondering if I should shell out for a quadro or maybe someone could recommend a gaming card. As I said I'm happy to pay enough to make my work life less frustrating so as Dr Hammond said "spare no expense".

Thanks.

2017-02-28, 17:15:25
Reply #5

fkoehler

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I suggest you to wait the new AMD CPU and real benchmark.
Maybe it will be more convenient to build an AMD WS. We will see soon.

There's already a price drop in Intel CPU's in the US at some retailers.
http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/matthew-wilson/intel-cpu-prices-start-to-drop-ahead-of-amds-ryzen-launch/

Cheers

2017-03-01, 09:10:44
Reply #6

Jann

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Do you plan to order a pre-built system or can you build it yourself?
Your planned config has some low-end Xeons. For server use they are great, but for rendering, a single i7 like the 6900k or 6950x with good cooling will be very close. (if those are retail Xeons)
Then there are cheaper QS Xeons like 2683 V3, 2686 V3, that are currently best price/performance. But I doubt a system builder would offer these.
MB. I'd look into Supermicro motherboards, as they are the usual choice.
SSD. Depending on your location, a Samsung 850 Evo might be cheaper and with no downsides.
Cooling. Get 120mm fan cpu coolers (like Noctua NH-U12S). On most boards, even 140mm can be installed. They will perform better, and much much quieter than 90mm. No need for i4 "WS" coolers.

As for the memory, you can start with 2 sticks. Yes the cpus support quad channel, but it doesn't matter much for rendering. I'd suggest getting memory in 16Gb sticks, for better expansion later. At least 8Gb, anything less would be a waste (and troublesome to sell when upgrading).

GPU and viewport. A Quadro won't be better at all. The frequencies and bus width seem to be most important. So anything from 1070 and up will be good, but don't expect massive increase in performance (also RX480 is very capable on AMD side).

2017-03-01, 12:04:41
Reply #7

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Your planned config has some low-end Xeons. For server use they are great, but for rendering, a single i7 like the 6900k or 6950x with good cooling will be very close. (if those are retail Xeons)

These are low end Xeons indeed but they seem capable. They score around 2300 CB when combined which nets a 1:20 score on the Corona benchmark. The average OCed 6950x gets around 2000 CB and around 1:40 score in the benchmark.

Combined they cost around 1400 eur + a dual socketed motherboard. Going with the i7 6950x nets you much faster single threaded speed yeah but it is at around the same price. Ryzen would be a cool deal if it can reach 2000cb on an average overclock as that would be really cheaper at 550 eur.

Am I missing something here because those dual Xeons seem like OK value. That is if you don't want to buy used stuff. Used CPUs are an awesome value, if you have the desire going down that road :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2017-03-01, 12:24:00
Reply #8

Jann

• Active Users
    • View Profile

These are low end Xeons indeed but they seem capable. They score around 2300 CB when combined which nets a 1:20 score on the Corona benchmark. The average OCed 6950x gets around 2000 CB and around 1:40 score in the benchmark.

Combined they cost around 1400 eur + a dual socketed motherboard. Going with the i7 6950x nets you much faster single threaded speed yeah but it is at around the same price. Ryzen would be a cool deal if it can reach 2000cb on an average overclock as that would be really cheaper at 550 eur.

Am I missing something here because those dual Xeons seem like OK value. That is if you don't want to buy used stuff. Used CPUs are an awesome value, if you have the desire going down that road :)
Well ok, maybe I overreacted a bit. They are ok for a render node, and if getting everything new and in one place is a must, this is an ok option :)
In a day or two we will see how good Ryzen chips are, and if nothing else, they might change intel pricing a bit.

2017-03-01, 14:54:05
Reply #9

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Quad channel is biggest gimmick for workstation :- ) I have tons of xeons at home (currently 200+ physical cores, almost every generation) and I tested it back-to-back, there is like 0.5 perc. performance difference between quad....and single channel. Corona, 3dsMax, Photoshop, newest PC games...
But you do need to occupy at least two slots in dual-socket xeons boards.

(reading intel fanboys crying "herp derp, new Ryzen doesn't have quad-channel and 40 pci-lane !!" is priceless..... )

Also, Asus WS range (D8/D16 WS) is superior for home use compared to anything from Supermicro. How would you even guys chose the best one :- ) ? There are 4 Asus boards for v3/v4 gen (two WS, two server versions), and about 20+ from  X10D Supermicro range. For average guy the Asus will have the exact features for home use and better driver and bios support for mainstream nVME ssds, and gpus. Safe choice.

Buying smaller than 512 GB system SSD makes no sense. 850 EVO costs 140 euros. Less is not usable in normal conditions, even on slaves I do run 256.

Everything Jann and others wrote is correct :- ) You need proper PSU with dual cpu support, and the advised Evga is perfect budge choice. Unless you work in medical or colorist/grading sector, Quadro is never correct choice.

Phanteks are good but terribly ugly cases. Get Fractal XL R2, be part of our uniform army ;- ).

In general, I would not advice to buy Xeons currently which give less than 3000 points cumulative score in Cinebench R15 and at same time, have turbo clock (for single and few cores) of about 3+/- Ghz, which every oem/retail version has.
If you can't afford to buy Xeons of such performance, either buy ES versions from grey market (ebay :- D), or just buy the newest 8-core from AMD. If you opt to buy ES/OEM, xeons, buy those with highest turbo clocks.

High-end graphics like 1070/1080/1080ti are worth it if you also work in real-time graphics, like Unreal4. Or if you really like gaming in high quality :- ).
If the answer is no, 1060/1070 is great choice. Wait until they go little bit cheaper now that 1080ti is on market. 1080 was already discounted, rest will follow.
3dsMax does benefit from fast DX11 card (esp. 2016/2017 version), but it doesn't scale well, and even low-end card saturates this need properly.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-03-01, 16:45:53
Reply #10

Radim Razzak

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would just add that it's not really necessary to buy a expensive PSU with dual processor support. You can use a normal PSU without two EPS12V connectors,  you just need to buy this cheap reduction on amazon and and plug it on the 6 pin PCI Express power cable.

It worked for me...

http://www.akasa.com.tw/search.php?seed=AK-CB051

2017-03-01, 17:00:31
Reply #11

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The Evga series Jann mentioned above start at 100 euros, is that expensive for budget gold rated PSU ?

I guess that  connector is fine solution if you already have PSU and don't want to swap it needlessly.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2017-03-01, 18:01:14
Reply #12

Radim Razzak

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's what I meant. If I had to buy a new PSU, I would definitely grab one that have two EPS12V connectors.

2017-03-01, 21:23:37
Reply #13

Jann

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The Evga series Jann mentioned above start at 100 euros, is that expensive for budget gold rated PSU ?
I didn't mention anything on the PSU since that EVGA was the topic starters idea and is fine as you say :)

2017-03-01, 21:26:08
Reply #14

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I didn't mention anything on the PSU since that EVGA was the topic starters idea and is fine as you say :)

Ah, sorry, it was HotelPlan, I got it mixed, too many posts :- ).